Jan. 5th, 1967
Los Angeles, California, USA
Joe Flanigan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
After graduation, Joe Flanigan pursued a writing career. He worked on Capitol Hill and then briefly for several New York City publications, including 'Town and Country' and 'Interview' magazine. On the advice of some of his friends, he studied at the Neighborhood Playhouse, was coached by Gerald Gordon, and then moved back to Los Angeles in 1994 to pursue an acting career.
Flanigan had guest roles in numerous television series including Profiler, First Monday, and Sisters, until he got his breakthrough with his role on Stargate Atlantis as Lt. Colonel John Sheppard, the military leader of the Atlantis Expedition. He lives in Vancouver, Canada, where the series is filmed during the week, and flies to Los Angeles, California during the weekends where his wife and children reside. He continues to write, and created the stories for the second season episode Epiphany and the fourth season Outcast. Flanigan also appears in Brooks Institute photographer John Russo's book About Face. Part of the proceeds are to be donated to Smile Train.
- When he was a child, his mother remarried, he was adopted by his step father and took his last name, Flanigan.
- Of the five original _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv) regulars, he is the only American. 'Torri Higginson' (qv), 'Rainbow Francks' (qv) and 'Rachel Luttrell' (qv) are all Canadian, and 'David Hewlett' (qv) is English (though he now also lives in Canada).
- Wife, 'Katherine Kousi' (qv), is a painter.
- Favorite foods include Chinese, Indian, French, Italian, Japanese, Thai etc.
- He was tapped for the lead in the NBC pilot _Sherman's March (2000) (TV)_ (qv).
- Worked as an advance man in President 'George Bush (I)' (qv)' administration and as a bartender, but fired from both jobs.
- Graduate of University of Colorado, major in history.
- Joe and his wife welcomed a third son in September 2006.