May. 1st, 1975
Camden, London, England, UK
Jodhi May's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Camden Town, London, to a French mother and German father, May first acted at the age of 12 in 1988's A World Apart. The role earned her a Best Actress award at the 1988 Cannes Film Festival, shared with her co-stars Barbara Hershey and Linda Mvusi.
Other than a brief lull while studying English at Wadham College, Oxford, she has had near constant work in the since her debut, and can regularly be seen on film, television and the British stage.
Notable roles have included Alice Munro in Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans, Lea Papin in Sister My Sister, Florence Banner in Tipping the Velvet, Anne Boleyn in the first adaptation of The Other Boleyn Girl, and Sabina Spielrein in the play The Talking Cure.
In 2002 May wrote and directed a short film called Spyhole.
In August 2005, May appeared in Blackbird by David Harrower alongside Roger Allam at the Edinburgh Festival in a production by German star director Peter Stein. The play got a transfer to the Albery Theatre in London in February 2006. Blackbird subsequently won a best new play award.
In 2010 she played the lead role of Kay in Mark Haddon's play Polar Bears at the Donmar Warehouse.
May is due to star as Janet Stone in upcoming noir thriller I, Anna, alongside Gabriel Byrne, Charlotte Rampling, Eddie Marsan and Honor Blackman.
- For the credits of _Eminent Domain (1990)_ (qv), they misspelled her name. Instead of Jodhi, they had Johdi May.
- Studied English at Wadham College, Oxford University 1994-1997
- Attended Oxford University from 1994-1997 majoring in English.
- Went to the same school (Camden School for Girls) as 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv).
- One of the youngest actors (age 12) to ever win a Cannes Film Festival acting award for _A World Apart (1988)_ (qv), she also won the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Award for "most promising newcomer".
- In 2002, she appeared in the play "Far Away" in Paris, the entire production spoken in French.
Related sites for this celeb