82 (passed away Mar. 4th, 2012)
Aug. 18th, 1929
Geneva, Illinois, USA
Joan Taylor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Joan Taylor's mother, Amelia Berky, was a vaudeville singing-dancing star in the 1920s. Her father was a prop man in Hollywood during that same period, but, after Joan's birth, the family moved to Lake Forest, Illinois, where her father managed a movie theater. She developed a love of movies from watching so many at her father's theater, and she graduated from the Chicago National Association of Dancing Masters. Heading to Hollywood in 1946, she enrolled at the Pasadena Playhouse. Victor Jory (I) arranged an interview for her with producer Nat Holt (I), and she made her film debut in the Randolph Scott (I) western Fighting Man of the Plains (1949). She appeared in quite a few films over the next several years, many of them westerns. She also made many appearances on TV series, and had a recurring role in "The Rifleman" (1958), but it's for two sci-fi films that she is fondly remembered by 1950s movie audiences: Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) and 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957).She also did Episodic Tv Appearences in the Late 1950`s After her two-year stint on "The Rifleman", however, she decided to retire from films & TV, and did so in 1963 to Raise her Children.
- Was in a recurring role as an intriguing, subtle love interest for 'Chuck Connors (I)' (qv) in _"The Rifleman" (1958)_ (qv) series. She was replaced by 'Patricia Blair' (qv) (later of _"Daniel Boone" (1964)_ (qv) TV fame) when Joan's husband, producer/director 'Leonard Freeman' (qv), relocated the family to Hawaii where he was producing the _"Hawaii Five-O" (1968)_ (qv) series. She abruptly retired in December of 1963 to raise her daughter.
- Dubbed a "Golden Circle Girl" at Paramount during the early 50s.
- Entertained in USO tour of military hospitals during WWII.
- Came out of retirement for a time to write for film and TV in the late 80s/early 90s. Also made cameos as an actress.
- Father Joseph Emma was from Sicily. He became a movie manager and a Hollywood prop man. Mother Amelia Berky was from Austria and a vaudeville dancer/singer.
Related sites for this celeb