Jun. 2nd, 1982
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
Jewel Staite's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jewel Staite is best known for her roles as Kaylee Frye in the series Firefly, and its subsequent film Serenity, and as Jennifer Keller in Stargate Atlantis.
She began her career with 1991 TV movie Posing: Inspired by Three Real Stories and has had a thriving career ever since. Her television credits include appearances in The X-Files, The Immortal, Dead Like Me, Huff, Warehouse 13, The Listener, Supernatural, DC Legends of Tomorrow, Castle, The Detectives, The Good Doctor, and Blind Spot.
She has held numerous recurring roles in TV series - Catalina in Space Cases, 'Becca in Flash Forward, Tiara VanHorn in Honey I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show, Daisy in Higher Ground, Gabriella in Da Vinci's Inquest, Laurel in Just Deal, Heidi in Wonderfalls, Raquel in The L.A, Complex, Caroline in The Killing, Phyllis in The Magicians, and most recently as Abigail in Family Law. Her movie roles include Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain, Damaged Care, Cheats, Widow on the Hill, Mothman, Miracle in Manhattan, Doomsday Prophecy, and Undercover Wife to name a few. She also did voices in the animated TV series Mummies Alive! and Sabrina: The Animated Series for DIC Entertainment
The youngest of seven children, she modeled as a child and has acted since age six. She has stated that she is of British, Irish, French Canadian, and Iroquois ancestry. Staite attended the Vancouver Film School and worked at the Vancouver Youth Theatre.
- Has been involved with AIDS Project since her uncle died of the disease.
- Her favorite hobbies are traveling and writing.
- Was featured on the preteen video/board game "Party Mania".
- Originally auditioned for the role of Rosie on _"Space Cases" (1996)_ (qv), which went to 'Paige Christina' (qv). She later got the role of Catalina.
- Had to move from her hometown of Vancouver to Toronto during her two year run on the Disney show _"Flash Forward" (1996)_ (qv), one of the better shows for young people of the 1990s.
- Gained 20 lbs for the part of Kaylee in the TV series _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv). When the show was later adapted into a motion picture (_Serenity (2005)_ (qv)), the show had been over for a little while and she had lost the weight. She was told that they weren't going to give anyone else the part anyway, so she didn't have to re-gain the weight.
- 'Morena Baccarin' (qv) was her Maid of Honor at Jewel's wedding to 'Matt Anderson (X)' (qv) in Maui on April 25, 2003.
- Is the youngest of seven children, and lives just three blocks away from her parents in Vancouver.