Apr. 17th, 1972
Houston, Texas, USA
Jennifer Garner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jennifer Anne Garner (born April 17, 1972) is an American actress and film producer. Garner garnered recognition on television for her performance as CIA officer Sydney Bristow in the thriller drama series Alias, which aired on ABC for five seasons from 2001 to 2006. For her work on the series, Garner won a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
Garner was born in Houston, Texas. Her mother, Patricia Ann, was an English teacher from Oklahoma, and her father, William John "Bill" Garner, worked as a chemical engineer. When she was four years old, her father's job with Union Carbide relocated her family to Princeton, West Virginia, and then later to Charleston, West Virginia, where Garner resided until her college years. She has credited her older sister, Melissa Lynn Garner Wylie, who resides in Boston, Massachusetts, as a source of inspiration to her. Her younger sister is Susannah Kay Garner Carpenter.
Garner spent nine years of her adolescence studying ballet and describes her years in dance as ones characterized by determination rather than talent, being driven mostly by a love of the stage.
Garner appears on television as Agent Sydney Bristow, who works for the CIA. For her work, she has received four consecutive Emmy nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. She has also received four Golden Globe nominations and won once, as well as received two Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, and won once.
Garner has appeared in numerous other television production as well as such films as Elektra (2005), 13 Going on 30 (2004), Daredevil (2003), Catch Me if You Can (2002), Pearl Harbor (2001) and Dude, Where's My Car? (2000). Aside from filming Alias (2001), Jennifer enjoys cooking, gardening, hiking, and inspired by her character on the show, kickboxing.
Garner married actor 'Scott Foley' (October 19, 2000), whom she had met on the set of Felicity in 1998. After separating from Foley in March 2003, Garner filed for divorce (May 2003), citing irreconcilable differences, and the two were officially divorced (March 30, 2004). Following her separation, Garner dated Alias co-star 'Michael Vartan' from August 2003 to March 2004.
In 2010, Garner appeared in the ensemble romantic comedy Valentine's Day, directed by 'Garry Marshall', which also starred 'Ashton Kutcher', 'Jessica Alba', 'Jessica Bill', 'Anne Hathaway', 'Julia Roberts', and former Alias co-star 'Bradley Cooper', among others. She portrayed Patrick Dempsey's girlfriend. The film was a commercial success, grossing over $215 million worldwide. In 2011, she starred in the 2011 remake of Arthur. In that same year, Garner was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In 2012, Garner appeared in the films The Odd Life of Timothy Green and Butter.
Sometime in early to mid-2004, Garner started dating Daredevil co-star 'Ben Affleck' and the two made their first public appearance as a couple by attending the Boston Red Sox's opening World Series games in October 2004. Since her relationship with Affleck, first as girlfriend and then as wife, Garner has been a tabloid staple. "Ben taught me that you cannot read that stuff, that it's poison," she said in 2009. On Garner's 33rd birthday, Affleck proposed to her with a 4.5 carats (900 mg) diamond ring from Harry Winston. Affleck married Garner, who was four months pregnant at the time, (June 29, 2005) in a private ceremony in the Caribbean, officiated by family friend and Garner's Alias co-star, 'Victor Garber', at the Parrot Cay resort on the Turks and Caicos Islands. The couple have three children: Violet Anne Affleck (December 1, 2005) and Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck (January 6, 2009), and a son Samuel Garner Affleck (February 27, 2012).
She will next star in the 2013 film Dallas Buyers Club, reuniting with 'Matthew McConaughey'. On April 24, 2013 Garner started filming Draft Day in New York and Cleveland, Ohio, which also stars 'Kevin Costner'. In April 2013, Garner joined 'Steve Carell' in the Disney adaption of the popular children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Filming is set to be from August through October 2013 in Los Angeles.
- Husband 'Ben Affleck' (qv) asked for her hand in marriage with a 'Neil Lane (I)' (qv) eternity band with round diamonds.
- Was listed as a potential nominee for Worst Actress on the 2006 Razzie Award nominating ballot, for her performance in _Elektra (2005)_ (qv). She wasn't nominated.
- Named the #1 sexiest woman of 2001 by MAXIM men's magazine.
- Did not return to work until six months after giving birth to her daughter Seraphina in order to begin filming _Valentine's Day (2010)_ (qv).
- _"Alias" (2001)_ (qv) castmate 'Victor Garber' (qv) took an Internet guide to officiating at weddings to marry Jennifer and 'Ben Affleck' (qv). Besides Garner and Affleck, Garber was the only other person at the wedding.
- Wears green contact lenses in _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv) and _Elektra (2005)_ (qv), even though the comic book version of Elektra has brown eyes, which is her natural eye color.
- Is one of four actresses to play Clara Allen in the "Lonesome Dove" series. The role was first played by 'Anjelica Huston' (qv) in _"Lonesome Dove" (1989)_ (qv), and then 'Barbara Hershey' (qv) in _"Return to Lonesome Dove" (1993)_ (qv). Garner plays the younger, unmarried Clara Forsythe in _"Dead Man's Walk" (1996)_ (qv). 'Linda Cardellini' (qv) takes over the role in _"Comanche Moon" (2008)_ (qv). Of the four actresses, she is the only one who, like her character, is from Texas.
- Ranked #44 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.