Apr. 16th, 1953
Austin, Texas, USA
Jay O. Sanders' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- Played the recurring role of 'John Goodman (I)' (qv)'s biker buddy "Ziggy" on the sitcom classic _"Roseanne" (1988)_ (qv).
- Attended the acting conservatory at SUNY Purchase (State University of New York at Purchase).
- The virile, large-sized character actor began off-Broadway in Shakespearean roles, with Henry V, Measure for Measure and Twelfth Night among his credits in the late 70s, as well as the original NY productions of Sam Shepard's 'Buried Child' and Michael Weller's 'Loose Ends'.
- Has narrated more than fifty audiobooks over the years, including the best-selling "My Losing Season" by 'Pat Conroy' (qv) and Dean Koontz's "Dragon Tears" and "Mr. Murder". Popular novelists 'William Gibson (I)' (qv), 'Tony Hillerman', 'William Least- Heat Moon' and 'Joyce Carol Oates' (qv) are among his readings. He and his wife 'Maryann Plunkett' (qv) did some storytelling together on 'Lawrence Sanders' (qv)' "Private Pleasures". They also appeared opposite each other on Broadway in the acclaimed 1993 production of George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan".
- His family is very arts-oriented and invested in matters of social conscience. His father was Executive Director of Cleveland's famed "Karamu House" in the mid-60s. An amateur violinist and noted square dance caller, he also spent time as a top administrator for the AFSC (American Friends Service Committee), the Peace Corps (in Colombia), UNICEF, Westchester Council of the Arts, and was editor of 'The Friends Journal'. Equally active in both arenas, his mother was an internationally known choral director, peace activist and emissary, as well as noted television commentator and interviewer relating to the Women's Movement and the issues of aging. His younger brother, Fred, also became an actor and his two sisters, Marta and Elizabeth, are both singers.
- Son Jamie born in 1994.
Related sites for this celeb