Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
James Cromwell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- Celebrity sponsor of the Great American Meatout, March 20, 2001.
- Played a US President four times - fictional President Fowler in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) fictional President Newman in _"The West Wing" (1999)_ (qv), 'Lyndon B. Johnson' (qv) in the telemovie _RFK (2002) (TV)_ (qv), and George H.W. Bush in 'Oliver Stone (I)' (qv)'s film _W. (2008/I)_ (qv).
- He is known to be a passionate liberal who openly supports several progressive political causes. He is most outspoken about the protection of animals.
- He is the only actor to ever utter the words "Star Trek" on Star Trek itself. In the movie _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv) his character said to the crew, "...and you're all astronauts, on some kind of....star trek?"
- Was an outspoken opponent of the Bush Administration. Ironically, he has portrayed Bush's father on film.
- Worked with the Black Panthers in the 1960s.
- Former son-in-law of actor 'Lee J. Cobb' (qv).
- In addition to having played four United States Presidents, he appears in _The Queen (2006)_ (qv) as 'Prince Philip' (qv), the husband of 'Queen Elizabeth II' (qv).