May. 24th, 1948
Clydebank, Scotland, UK
James Cosmo's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Cosmo (born May 24, 1948) is a Scottish actor. He was born in Clydebank, Scotland, the son of actor 'James Copeland'.
Outside of Britain, he is best known for his film roles as Angus MacLeod in Highlander, Campbell in Braveheart and as Father Christmas in the adaptation of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Over the years he has also had roles in other films such as Trainspotting, The Last Legion, 2081. He appeared in Troy with future Game of Thrones cast members Sean Bean and Julian Glover. He also appeared in Take the High Road as Alex Geddes from 1982 until 1983. He appeared as Lieutenant colonel Philip Drysdale in the 7th series of Soldier, Soldier. He recently portrayed Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, in the acclaimed HBO series Game of Thrones.
Cosmo is married to Annie Harris and they have two sons Findlay and Ethan. He is an ardent supporter of the football club Rangers and has attended several official functions at Ibrox Stadium.
- Resides in London, England but hopes to buy a house in Perthshire, Scotland at some point.
- Attended the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Also studied at the Bristol Old Vic drama school.
- Starred with Robert Carlyle in two movies. First was Trainspotting (1996) as Mr Renton, Carlyle's character was Begbie. Second was To End All Wars (2001) as McLean, Carlyle's character was named Campbell. Campbell was the name given to Cosmo's character in Braveheart(1995)
- Although audiences are used to seeing him as a tough, imposing character actor, he is renowned for 'getting the giggles' on set after muddling dialogue. He has featured on several outtakes & bloopers shows in the UK, where he is seen blowing take after take, giggling uncontrollably - and infecting others on set - bringing the shoot to a laughter-filled halt.
- Worked with both Brendan Gleeson and Brian Cox in Braveheart (1995). Gleeson played Hamish,son to Cosmo's character Campbell, while Cox played Argyle, uncle to Mel Gibson's Character William Wallace. In Troy (2004), Gleeson plays Menelaus, brother to Cox's character Agamemnon. Cosmo plays Glaucus, head soldier of Troy.
- Also worked with Heath Ledger in The Four Feathers (2002). Ledger playing Harry Faversham, Cosmo playing Colonel Sutch. Ledger in turn worked with Mel Gibson in The Patriot (2000). Ledger playing Gabriel, son to Mel's Benjamin. Mel in turn worked with Cosmo in Braveheart (1995). Cosmo playing Scottish warrior Campbell, to Mel's hero William Wallace.
- Son of 'James Copeland (I)' (qv).
- Often plays tough characters due to his imposing stature.