Jun. 4th, 1971
London, England, UK
James Callis' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Callis was born and brought up in London, where he attended Harrow School in north-west London. His parents owned a bed-and-breakfast. In a comment to a fansite, Callis repudiated the claim that he comes from aristocratic roots by saying that he is the descendant of poor immigrants from Russia and Poland.
Callis attended the University of York, graduating in 1993 with a BA in English and Related Literature. He was a member of Derwent College, for which he was an enthusiastic rugby player. At university he was also a keen student actor, director and writer. He was a key member of the University of York Gilbert and Sullivan society and even appeared in productions put on by friends at Cambridge University, including a production of Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party.
- His parents own and live in a bed & breakfast establishment in London across the street from the Sherlock Holmes Museum.
- Two sons and a daughter with wife, Neha Callis: Joshua Amaan Callis (born 2003) and Sacha Callis (born 2005). Anika Jahan Callis (born 2009).
- Plays piano and guitar to performance level
- He was awarded the 1996 Jack Tinker Award (Theatre Record Critic of the Year) for Most Promising Newcomer for his performance in Old Wicked Songs.
- His wife, Neha, is from India.
- Graduated from the London Academy of Music & Dramatic Arts in 1996.
- James studied for a BA in English and Related Literature at the University of York, where he was a member of Derwent college. He graduated in 1993.