May. 25th, 1939
Burnley, Lancashire, England, UK
Ian McKellen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
On May 25th, 1939, in the town of Burnley in northern England, Ian Murray McKellen was born. His parents, Denis and Margery, soon moved with Ian and his sister Jean to the coal mining town of Wigan. It was in this small town that young Ian rode out World War II. He soon developed a fascination with acting and the theater, which was encouraged by his parents. They would all bring him to plays, those by William Shakespeare (I), in particular. The amateur school productions fostered Ian's growing passion for theatre. When Ian was of age to begin attending school, he made sure to get roles in all of the productions. At Bolton School in particular, he developed his skills early on. Indeed, his first role in a Shakespearian play was at Bolton, as Malvolio in "Twelfth Night". Ian soon began attending Stratford-upon-Avon theater festivals, where he saw the greats perform: Laurence Olivier, Wendy Hiller, John Gielgud, Ralph Richardson (I) and Paul Robeson. He continued his education in English Drama, but soon it fell by the wayside as he concentrated more and more on performing. He eventually obtained his Bachelor of Arts in 1961, and began his career in earnest. McKellen began working in theatre over the next few years. Very few people knew of Ian's homosexuality; he saw no reason to go public, nor had he told his family. They did not seem interested in the subject and so he saw no reason to bring it up. In 1988, Ian publicly came out of the closet on the BBC Radio 4 program, while discussing Margaret Thatcher's "section 28" legislation which would make the "public promotion of homosexuality" a crime. It was reason enough for McKellen to take a stand, and he has been active in the Gay Rights movement ever since.
Ian currently resides in Limehouse, where he lives with his current lover of 8 years, Sean Mathias. The two worked together on the film Bent (1997). To this day, McKellen works mostly in theater, and was knighted by 'Queen Elizabeth' in 1990 for his efforts in the arts. However, he has managed to make several quite successful forays into film. He has appeared in several productions of Shakespeare's works including his well received Richard III (1995), and in a variety of other movies. However, it has only been recently that his star has finally begun to shine in the eyes of North American audiences. Roles in various films, Cold Comfort Farm (1995) (TV), Apt Pupil (1998) and Gods and Monsters (1998), riveted audiences. The latter, in particular, created a sensation in Hollywood, and McKellen's role garnered him several of awards and nominations,including a Golden Globe and an Oscar nod. McKellen continues to work extensively on stage... solidifying his role as Laurence Olivier's worthy successor,having recently scored hits in the London productions of "Peter Pan" and Noel Coward's "Present Laughter".
- He played the vampire in the video for "Heart" by 'Pet Shop Boys' (qv).
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1985 (1984 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Wild Honey".
- Is a vegetarian.
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1991 (1990 season) for Best Actor in "Richard III" at the Royal National Theatre.
- While being a guest on 'Jay Leno' (qv) (December 26, 2003), he said that he had not seen _X2 (2003)_ (qv) when it opened in theaters, he only saw it when the DVD hit the stores. He then called up 'Bryan Singer' (qv) and asked, "Is there going to be X-Men 3?" Singer replied, "Yes". In his excitement he got Singer six theater tickets to go see _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv). As it turned out, _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv) would not be directed by Singer.
- Was set to play Antonio in 'Michael Radford' (qv)'s adaptation of 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv)'s _The Merchant of Venice (2004)_ (qv), but had to drop at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts.
- Played 'Maggie Smith (I)' (qv) in a "Weekend Update" skit on an episode of _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) that he hosted.
- He had a tattoo of the Elvish character for 9 along with all the other members of the fellowship in _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv).