Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- Auditioned for the part of Rimmer in _"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv). Others to audition for the part were 'Norman Lovett' (qv), 'Lee Cornes' (qv), 'Alfred Molina (I)' (qv), 'Alan Rickman' (qv), and 'Craig Ferguson (I)' (qv). The role went to 'Chris Barrie' (qv).
- He is an accomplished piano player.
- 'Douglas Adams' (qv), author of _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv), originally wanted him to play Arthur Dent for the film adaptation. A deal was almost in place to have Hugh play Dent, along with 'Jim Carrey' (qv) as Zaphod and 'Jay Roach' (qv) directing, before Adams's untimely death.
- Stated on a British chat show that he doesn't like doing plays; he said that in the only play he'd ever done (Gasping, by Ben Elton), he "felt like [he] was going out of [his] mind", and that he had out of body experiences on stage. He also stated it was something he would never do again.
- He took up diving a few years ago.
- Attended the Dragon School, a renowned British "public" college preparatory school located in Oxford, England. Also attended by actress 'Emma Watson (II)' (qv) and tennis player Tim Henman.
- Is a published author (The Gun Seller - 1997). He has another book due in 2009.
- Plays keyboard in the band Poor White Thrash with 'Lenny Henry' (qv), Shade Adejumo, 'Kate McKenzie' (qv), Sophie Elton (wife of 'Ben Elton' (qv)), 'Ken Bowley', 'Andy Gangadeen' (qv), 'John Thirkell' (qv), and Phil Smith.