Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- Is the uncle of actress 'Rachel Hurd-Wood' (qv).
- Was first cast in the role of Perry White in _Superman Returns (2006)_ (qv). However, the popularity of his TV show _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv) caused schedule conflicts. 'Frank Langella' (qv) was then cast.
- He is an accomplished piano player.
- Directed some scenes of his film _Maybe Baby (2000)_ (qv) when 'Ben Elton' (qv) had to go to hospital for the birth of his children.
- His son Bill auditioned for a role in a Harry Potter film but was told he was too young.
- He is a member of the Leander Club, one of the oldest rowing clubs in the world. His father once served as the club's president.
- His daughter 'Rebecca Laurie' (qv) starred in the film _Wit (2001) (TV)_ (qv) as 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv)'s character aged five.
- Although his first name is James, he has never been called that. His third name, Calum, is the short form of 'Mael Calum', which translates from Gaidhlig (Scots Gaelic) to Scottish and English as 'Malcolm'. (The Gaeilge or Irish Gaelic form is 'Maol Colm', or 'Colm' in short form). His brother's full name is Charles Alexander Lyon Mundell Laurie.