Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- Stated on a British chat show that he doesn't like doing plays; he said that in the only play he'd ever done (Gasping, by Ben Elton), he "felt like [he] was going out of [his] mind", and that he had out of body experiences on stage. He also stated it was something he would never do again.
- Although his first name is James, he has never been called that. His third name, Calum, is the short form of 'Mael Calum', which translates from Gaidhlig (Scots Gaelic) to Scottish and English as 'Malcolm'. (The Gaeilge or Irish Gaelic form is 'Maol Colm', or 'Colm' in short form). His brother's full name is Charles Alexander Lyon Mundell Laurie.
- Was a member of Cambridge Footlights throughout his university years, serving as a writer and cast member for two years (1978-1980) and president during his last year (1980-1981). 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv) was the vice president.
- He is a member of the celebrity band 16:9 with 'Greg Grunberg' (qv) of _"Alias" (2001)_ (qv) and _"Felicity" (1998)_ (qv), 'James Denton' (qv) of _"Desperate Housewives" (2004)_ (qv), 'Bob Guiney' (qv) of _"The Bachelor" (2002)_ (qv), and other special guests.
- Achieved a Third-Class Honours degree in anthropology & archaeology at Selwyn College, Cambridge University.
- Is the youngest of four children, by six years. He has a brother, Charles, who works as a lawyer/shepherd in Scotland, and two sisters.
- Was first cast in the role of Perry White in _Superman Returns (2006)_ (qv). However, the popularity of his TV show _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv) caused schedule conflicts. 'Frank Langella' (qv) was then cast.
- 'Douglas Adams' (qv), author of _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv), originally wanted him to play Arthur Dent for the film adaptation. A deal was almost in place to have Hugh play Dent, along with 'Jim Carrey' (qv) as Zaphod and 'Jay Roach' (qv) directing, before Adams's untimely death.