Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- His son Bill auditioned for a role in a Harry Potter film but was told he was too young.
- 'Stephen Fry (I)' (qv) is godfather of his three children.
- He was awarded the O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2007 Queen's New Years Honours List for his services to drama.
- He lives in a West Hollywood apartment rental while working on _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv), but flies home to London to be with his family whenever he has a break in filming. He has said that he will move his whole family to America to be with him if the second season looks to be equally successful as the first.
- His father, William George Ranald Mundell Laurie (known as Ran), and mother, Patricia, are both of Scottish descent.
- Was a member of Cambridge Footlights throughout his university years, serving as a writer and cast member for two years (1978-1980) and president during his last year (1980-1981). 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv) was the vice president.
- He was a member of the Cambridge Footlights and in 1981, along with 'Stephen Fry (I)' (qv), 'Tony Slattery' (qv), 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv), Paul Dwyer and 'Paul Shearer (I)' (qv), he became the winner of the first ever Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- He received his first motorcycle when he was 16 as a present from his father. The same year he owned his first guitar, a Yamaha.