Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- He is a member of the celebrity band 16:9 with 'Greg Grunberg' (qv) of _"Alias" (2001)_ (qv) and _"Felicity" (1998)_ (qv), 'James Denton' (qv) of _"Desperate Housewives" (2004)_ (qv), 'Bob Guiney' (qv) of _"The Bachelor" (2002)_ (qv), and other special guests.
- He lives in a West Hollywood apartment rental while working on _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv), but flies home to London to be with his family whenever he has a break in filming. He has said that he will move his whole family to America to be with him if the second season looks to be equally successful as the first.
- His daughter 'Rebecca Laurie' (qv) starred in the film _Wit (2001) (TV)_ (qv) as 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv)'s character aged five.
- His son Bill auditioned for a role in a Harry Potter film but was told he was too young.
- Is very good friends with _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv) co-star 'Robert Sean Leonard' (qv).
- Directed some scenes of his film _Maybe Baby (2000)_ (qv) when 'Ben Elton' (qv) had to go to hospital for the birth of his children.
- Is the uncle of actress 'Rachel Hurd-Wood' (qv).
- Entered the 1980 Silver Goblets and Nicklass Cup with his Eton rowing partner J.S. Palmer at the Henley Royal Regatta, becoming the only British crew to reach the final that year. They finished in second place behind the favored American crew.