Mar. 20th, 1958
Conyers, Georgia, USA
Holly Hunter's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Holly Hunter was born in Conyers, Georgia, the youngest of seven children whose father was a part-time sporting goods company representative and part-time farmer with a 250 acre farm. Her parents encouraged in her talent at an early age, and her first acting part was as 'Helen Keller' in a fifth-grade play. In 1976 she went to Pittsburgh to pursue a degree in drama from Carnegie Mellon University. After graduating in 1980, she went to New York City, where she met playwright 'Beth Henley' in a stalled elevator.
Hunter went on to get roles in a number of Henley's southern gothic plays, including Crimes of the Heart and The Miss Firecracker Contest. In 1982 the actress went to Los Angeles. She landed her first starring role in the movies in the Coen brothers' Raising Arizona (1987), a part that is said to have been written with her in mind. She gained stardom in 1987 when she played the driven TV news producer Jane Craig in 'James L. Brooks' Broadcast News (1987). In 1993 she earned an Academy Award and worldwide acclaim with her performance as a mute bride to a New Zealand planter in The Piano (1993).
- Was director 'James L. Brooks' (qv)' first choice to play the female lead in _As Good as It Gets (1997)_ (qv), but reportedly demanded too much money upfront and was passed over in favour of 'Helen Hunt (I)' (qv). Hunter had previously collaborated with 'James L. Brooks' (qv) on the 1987 film, _Broadcast News (1987)_ (qv).
- Graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a degree in drama (1980).
- Made her Broadway debut in 1982 in "Crimes of the Heart."
- She won the role in _Broadcast News (1987)_ (qv) just two days before shooting began, over several then-better-known actresses: 'Sigourney Weaver' (qv), 'Judy Davis (I)' (qv), 'Christine Lahti (I)' (qv), 'Elizabeth McGovern (I)' (qv), 'Mary Beth Hurt' (qv), 'Joanna Pacula' (qv), and 'Elizabeth Perkins (I)' (qv).
- Lived in the same house as 'Joel Coen' (qv) and 'Ethan Coen' (qv), 'Frances McDormand' (qv) and 'Sam Raimi' (qv) in 1985 in Silver Lake, just outside of Los Angeles.
- Her performance as Jane Craig in _Broadcast News (1987)_ (qv) is ranked #66 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- In 1993, she won the Oscar for Best Actress for _The Piano (1993)_ (qv), in which she utilised her real-life piano skills. Eleven years later, 'Jamie Foxx' (qv) won Best Actor for _Ray (2004/I)_ (qv), in which he also played the piano. Both of them had been nominated for a supporting performance in those respective years, and both were nominated for a role they played opposite 'Tom Cruise' (qv). Hunter appeared in _The Firm (1993)_ (qv) and 'Jamie Foxx' (qv) appeared in _Collateral (2004)_ (qv).
- Holly and her boyfriend, 'Gordon MacDonald (I)' (qv), became parents of twin boys [January 17, 2006].