May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), from which he was fired, was loosely based on 'Joseph Conrad (I)' (qv)'s novel, "Heart of Darkness". Although Keitel didn't appear in the final film, he does appear in _The Duellists (1977)_ (qv), which is based on another Conrad story.
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- Is one of three actors to play Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films. He played the role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), while 'Scott Glenn' (qv) played the role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), and 'Dennis Farina' (qv) played the role in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- He was originally cast as Captain Willard in _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv). He was let go from the film, just two weeks into filming due to creative differences with director 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv). 'Martin Sheen' (qv) replaced him.
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).
- Worked as a salesman in a women's shoestore.
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- Served in the U. S. Marines.