May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- (October 1997) Ranked #37 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- His last name is pronounced "ky-tel".
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).
- He was originally cast as Captain Willard in _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv). He was let go from the film, just two weeks into filming due to creative differences with director 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv). 'Martin Sheen' (qv) replaced him.
- Served in the U. S. Marines.