Oct. 17th, 1948
Chicago, Illinois, USA
George Wendt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
George Wendt was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, USA. He attended a strict Jesuit prep school and then dropped out of Notre Dame University after a few uneventful years. He worked with the Windy City's famed Second City comedy troupe from 1974-1980. He is best known for playing Norm Peterson on the hit televison series, "Cheers" (1982). He is married to actress Bernadette Birkett, who provided the rare offscreen voice of Norm's unseen wife Vera. The couple have two sons and a daughter. They met while working at the Second City in Chicago.
- Is an avid Notre Dame football fan. Always attends the notorious Notre Dame vs. USC game when held in Pasadena, California, every two years.
- Wendt's maternal grandfather was Tom Howard, a photographer for the Washington bureau of P & A Photographs, who took one of the most famous news photos ever: of murderess Ruth Snyder as she was executed at Sing Sing Prison on January 12, 1928. He modified his miniature plate camera with a long shutter release, then smuggled it into the witness room by strapping it onto his left ankle. The photo was on the front page of the next morning's New York Daily News under the headline: DEAD! The camera is at the Smithsonian Institution.
- Uncle of 'Jason Sudeikis' (qv).
- Attended University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana for 2 years.
- In a tribute George wrote for the Second City book, he said that when he joined Second City, it wasn't directly through the troupe as a performer. He had studied the shows for a while and befriended an employee whom he asked about joining. She told him to show up after a performance one day in the afternoon, which he subsequently did. The stage area was littered with cigarette butts, when the woman handed him a broom and said "Welcome to the theater, kid."
- Played 'Macaulay Culkin' (qv)'s father in 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv)'s video 'Black or White'.
- Children: Hilary Wendt (b. 1985), Joe Wendt (b. 1987) and Daniel Wendt (b. 1990) with 'Bernadette Birkett' (qv).
- Brother-in-law of 'Joe Birkett' (qv).