84 (passed away Oct. 2nd, 2006)
Sep. 14th, 1922
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Frances Bergen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
The daughter of William and Lillie Mae Westerman, her father died of tuberculosis when she was ten years old. Her mother then moved the family to Los Angeles.
She suffered a skull fracture in an auto accident when she was 14. While recuperating, she was given a Charlie McCarthy (II) doll to cheer her up. Little did she know she'd later marry Charlie's "father" - comedian & ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.
Graduated from Los Angeles High School, where she was a pom-pom girl. At 19, Frances was in the audience of Edgar Bergen's radio program as the guest of a member of his staff. Sitting in the front row, her long legs caught the attention of the 39-year-old star, who asked to meet her. They were married in Mexico after a year of long distance courtship.
- Once desire to become a chanteuse and had several engagements in major supper clubs but gave it up because she felt family came first.
- Moved to Los Angeles with her mother at the age of 10 after her father died.
- One of her best film roles came at age 68 as the matriarch in writer-director 'Henry Jaglom' (qv)'s drama _Eating (1990)_ (qv).
- Mother of actress 'Candice Bergen' (qv) and actor 'Kris Bergen' (qv).
- As a Powers model she was known as Frances Westcott
Related sites for this celeb