79 (passed away Oct. 3rd, 2003)
Jul. 1st, 1924
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Florence Stanley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- Showed a serious side in 1964 with the New York Shakespeare Festival by giving a powerful performance as Clymnestra in "Electra" opposite 'Lee Grant' in the title role. Also played the Nurse in "Romeo and Juliet" for Seattle Repertory.
- Began her career with a 1950 TV production of "The Taming of the Shrew" for "Studio One."
- Was a member of the League of Professional Theater Women.
- Played matchmaker Yenta on stage in "Fiddler on the Roof" for six years (1965-1971).
- Met husband 'Martin Newman (I)' (qv) when both were cast in the production of "Bury the Dead" at the Cherry Lane Theatre in 1948.
- Best known as Abe Vigoda's wife on the "Barney Miller" TV series. As Bernice Fish, she and Vigoda went on to star in the short-lived spinoff "Fish."
- Stone-faced, raspy-voiced American character actress who played the typical overbearing relative or busybody on Broadway, film and TV.
- Started her professional career following college when she traveled to Germany as a Civilian Actress Technician, as part of the U.S. Army Special Services after World War II.
Related sites for this celeb