Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Before his trip around the world with 'Charley Boorman' (qv), he had a laser eye operation to improve his eyesight, so he didn't have to wear glasses or contact lenses.
- Ranked #36 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list (October 1997).
- Studied 'Alec Guinness' (qv)' films in preparation for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) and to ensure accuracy in everything from his accent to the pacing of his words.
- Former roommate of 'Jude Law' (qv). They are still close friends.
- Was presented with an honorary doctorate from the University of Ulster at a graduation ceremony in Belfast, Northern Ireland (5 July 2001).
- When filming in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv), he kept imitating the noise of the light saber during his fights. 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) explained many times that this would be added in by the special effects people later on. Ewan said "I keep getting carried away.".
- Received the Film Actor Award for _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) at The Variety Club Showbusiness Awards 2002.
- Considered for the role of Will Turner in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv).