Oct. 11th, 1976
Los Angeles, California, USA
Emily Deschanel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Emily Erin Deschanel ([deɪʃə'nɛl]; born October 11, 1976) is an American actress and television producer, best known for playing Dr. Temperance Bones Brennan in the crime drama Bones.
Born in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of Academy Award-nominated cinematographer and director Caleb Deschanel and actress Mary Jo Deschanel (née Weir). Her mother is Irish American and her grandfather was French. She has one younger sister: actress, songwriter and musician Zooey Deschanel.
Deschanel made her feature film debut in 1994's It Could Happen to You. Her next notable role was in Stephen King's Rose Red in 2002. She then appeared in Cold Mountain, The Alamo and Glory Road and was named one of "six actresses to watch" by Interview Magazine in 2004.
After starring in 2005's Boogeyman, Deschanel landed the role of Dr. Temperance Brennan on Fox's Bones, a series based on the heroine in the novels of real-life forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs. She has been playing this role in Bones for 5 seasons. The show was recently commissioned for a sixth season. For her performance she received a 2006 Satellite Award nomination, a 2007 Teen Choice Award nomination, a 2009 Ewwy Award win and has served as co-producer since the start of the show's third season.
Deschanel, with 'Alyson Hannigan', 'Jaime King', 'Minka Kelly", and 'Katharine McPhee' made a video slumber party featured on FunnyorDie.com to promote regular breast cancer screenings for the organization Stand Up 2 Cancer.
Deschanel is a vegan and a committed supporter of animal rights causes. She can be seen in an Access Hollywood video at the book launch event of Karen Dawn's Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals, discussing how vegetarian and vegan diets help the environment, and a video on the homepage of the book's website talking about the importance of animal rights. She graduated from Boston University's Professional Actors Training Program with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater.
- She owned a dog, a female Wheaten terrier, who now lives with her ex-boyfriend.
- Her paternal grandfather was French and the remainder of her ancestry is Irish American.
- (October 2004) Interview magazine named her one of "6 Actors to Watch" in their annual "Young Hollywood" issue
- While attending Boston University, she lived on Hooker Street in Brighton, which she calls a "cool neighborhood.".
- Lives in both Los Angeles and New York
- She is real-life best friends with 'Michaela Conlin' (qv) who plays "Angela Montenegro", her best friend on their show _"Bones" (2005)_ (qv).
- Older sister of 'Zooey Deschanel' (qv).
- Daughter of 'Caleb Deschanel' (qv) and 'Mary Jo Deschanel' (qv)