Dec. 7th, 1988
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emily Browning's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Emily Browning (born December 7, 1988) Australian actress. Born in Melbourne, Australia. She has two younger brothers. Her start in acting came after a classmate's father involved in the acting business noticed her "acting all ditsy" in a school play. Browning found an agent and was soon filming on location for the Hallmark TV movie The Echo of Thunder (1998).
She received more roles from there, including parts in The Man Who Sued God (2001), opposite Billy Connolly and 'Ned Kelly' (2003), opposite 'Heath Ledger' and 'Orlando Bloom'. In that film she had to hug 'Heath Ledger', and she said that all her friends who went to see the film at the same time sent her a barrage of text messages about how lucky she was! Browning says she tries to avoid "cheesy" movies, and her big break came when she was on a press tour in LA for Ghost Ship (2002) that was filmed in Australia and released in America. In the same year, she won an Australian Film Institute Award for Best Young Actress, and was nominated for the same award the next year.
Browning received some scripts when in LA and sent in a video audition for Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events (2004). She received a call and was asked to come to LA for a proper audition, which won her the part. She spent months in LA filming, for the second time acting opposite 'Billy Connolly'. She said she enjoyed the experience of making a big budget film in America, and says that although she's not sure what is coming next, she's hoping to do some more Australian work.
- Says she learned an American accent from watching Sesame Street as a child.
- Took a 3 year acting break starting 2005 to finish school in Australia. She will return in the remake of A Tale Of Two Sisters (2008) with Arielle Kebbel, Elizabeth Banks and David Strathairn.
- Her parents' names are Shelley and Andrew.
- She has her nose and belly button pierced.
- She needed to wear heels for her costume in Lemony Snicket because Liam Aiken was much taller than she was.
- Won the coveted role of Violet in _Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)_ (qv) after her agent gave her a pile of scripts for which to submit video auditions. She was phoned by the director of Lemony Snicket and asked to come to LA for an audition, which won her the part.
- She has a cat named Jasper and a dog named Roxy.
- She was scared she was going to get fired while filming Lemony Snicket, because she'd be laughing at Jim Carrey so much.