Jun. 21st, 1964
Burbank, California, USA
Doug Savant's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Doug Savant first gained notice for playing a younger version of Mac McKenzie (played by Kojak alumnus Kevin Dobson) on the CBS night time soap opera Knots Landing. He was paired with future Desperate Housewives co-star Nicollette Sheridan, who played a younger version of the Anne Matheson character portrayed by Michelle Phillips. In the 1980s, he appeared in such films as Masquerade starring Rob Lowe, Teen Wolf with Michael J. Fox, and Trick or Treat with Marc Price and Ozzy Osbourne. Additionally, he was the central character in an episode of The Outer Limits called "The Hunt." In the episode, he played an android that is being hunted for sport. From 1992 to 1997, Savant starred as Matt Fielding on Melrose Place, a role that was notable for being one of the first mainstream openly gay characters on television. However, his role was censored greatly by the network - notably a kiss between Matt and guest star Ty Miller during the season two finale was edited out at the last minute by FOX. Savant left the series after five seasons and, a year later, his character was killed off-screen in a car crash. After this, Savant guest starred on series such as Profiler, Harsh Realm, Firefly, JAG, NCIS, Nip/Tuck, NYPD Blue, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, and a four-episode arc on 24. He also appeared as Sgt. O'Neal in the film Godzilla. In 2008, Savant starred in the television movie What Color Is Love? He played a lawyer named Peter Marcheson helping a girl, Nicole Alpern (Jennifer Finagan), win back her son in a custody battle. Savant played Tom Scavo on ABC's Desperate Housewives from 2004 to 2012. In the first season (2004–05), Tom was a recurring character, credited as a guest-star in the episodes where he appeared. Married to Lynette Scavo (Felicity Huffman), he was out of town regularly on business. Viewer response to Savant and his character led the producers to contract him as a series regular from season two onwards, and Tom and Lynette were portrayed as the most stable couple on the series
- 6/9/05: Wife 'Laura Leighton' (qv) gave birth to a baby girl, named Lucy Jane Leighton Savant. She weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz.
- Although he appeared in almost every episode of _"Desperate Housewives" (2004)_ (qv) during Season 1, he was still credited as a guest star. However, he has now been put on contract and will be credited as a series regular for Season 2.
- 10/10/00: Son Jack Douglas Savant (with 'Laura Leighton' (qv)) born.
- Before being cast in _"Melrose Place" (1992)_ (qv), he was a delivery driver for Dino's Pizza in Burbank, owned by his cousin.
- Starred opposite 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv) and 'Meg Tilly' (qv) in the thriller _Masquerade (1988)_ (qv) in which he played a deceptive, clean-cut psycho and continued on in off-kiltered villain roles in teen slasher movies until _"Melrose Place" (1992)_ (qv).
- Married to 'Laura Leighton' (qv), who played Sydney Andrews on _"Melrose Place" (1992)_ (qv). The romance developed off-camera on the set of the popular TV soap opera.
- Doug and his ex-wife Dawn had been together since he was 19, and share two daughters.
- Left _"Melrose Place" (1992)_ (qv) after six seasons because the network refused to allow the writers to explore his character Matt's love life, and left him with little to do on the show. In 1994, the network and producers cut Matt's kiss on the season finale in 1994 at the last minute after considerable ratings hype.