81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- Born at 8:00am-CDT.
- Was a committed environmentalist; Weaver's home near Santa Fe, NM, is constructed almost entirely out of recycled materials.
- Almost didn't get the part of "Chester Goode" on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) until he asked for a second chance to read the lines in a humorous, countrified accent and won the role.
- Died on the same day and at the same age as 'Don Knotts' (qv).
- Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch).
- Lost a daughter-in-law, Lynne Ann Weaver (who was married to his son, 'Robby Weaver (I)' (qv)), to a July 2003 Santa Monica, California, car accident that killed more than eight people.
- Gave his character Chester on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) a bad leg and a limp out of fear that he would not be noticed when playing scenes with the 'James Arness' (qv), who stood 6'6" tall, unless his character had an unusual trait that would call attention to him.
- Built an Earthship environmental home in Ridgway, Colorado.