81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- (1973-1975) President of Screen Actors Guild (SAG).
- He was a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party and a vocal opponent of the Iraq war.
- Lost a daughter-in-law, Lynne Ann Weaver (who was married to his son, 'Robby Weaver (I)' (qv)), to a July 2003 Santa Monica, California, car accident that killed more than eight people.
- Had three grandchildren, Jennifer, Travis and Jess.
- Father of actor 'Robby Weaver (I)' (qv), actor/producer/director 'Rick Weaver (I)' (qv) and 'Rusty Weaver' (qv).
- Served as the president of "Love Is Feeding Everyone" (LIFE), which fed 150,000 needy people a week in Los Angeles County. Also, founded the Institute of Ecolonomics, which sought solutions to economic and environmental problems.
- 'Shelley Winters' (qv) gave him one of his first real breaks by helping him get a part in a stage production of "Come Back, Little Sheba."
- Almost didn't get the part of "Chester Goode" on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) until he asked for a second chance to read the lines in a humorous, countrified accent and won the role.