Aug. 18th, 1957
Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Denis Leary's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Denis Leary was born and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts, the son of Nora and John Leary, Irish immigrants who had grown up together. After a childhood in the 1960s, Leary went to Emerson College in Boston, where he tried his hand at acting and writing. He was a charter member of Emerson's Comedy Workshop, and taught at the college for five years after graduating. By that point he had written several pieces for magazines and had worked at stand-up comedy for a time. In 1990 he and his wife Ann flew to London to perform in the BBC's Paramount City. That weekend Ann's water broke. Their planned weekend trip became a stay of months, and Denis, with not a whole lot to do in London, wrote a one-man comedy act. He brought friends in from the States, and they wrote songs to perform on stage. Leary, with Chris Phillips and Adam Roth (I) on guitar, performed "No Cure For Cancer" at the Edinburgh International Arts Festival in Scotland. Despite some protests about the title, the show won the Critic's Award and the BBC Festival Recommendation. The next year the show was moved to America, and it was eventually taped and broadcast on Showtime No Cure for Cancer (1992). The show spawned a book, CD, cassette, and a videotape. It also started Leary's movie career. Since then, he has starred in several films and has had two of his own TV series.
- 'Joe Rogan (I)' (qv) has claimed that Leary's "angry comedian" act, first used in his stage show "No Cure for Cancer" (later a Showtime special, _No Cure for Cancer (1992) (TV)_ (qv)) was based on the comedy act of 'Bill Hicks (II)' (qv). Leary skewered the charge (http://us.imdb.com/news/ni0070130).
- Cousin of 'Conan O'Brien' (qv) and 'Jane O'Brien (II)' (qv).
- His role on _"Rescue Me" (2004)_ (qv) marks his first Golden Globe nomination.
- One of seven godparents of 'Elizabeth Hurley (I)' (qv)'s son Damien.
- Lives in New York City.
- His interest in the perils of firemen and his co-creation of the series _"Rescue Me" (2004)_ (qv) stemmed from a tragic 1999 warehouse fire in his hometown of Worcester, Massachusets, that took the lives of six firemen, including his cousin and a childhood friend.
- Good friend of Joe Mantegna.
- Is the second of four children.