79 (passed away Jun. 11th, 1999)
Jan. 20th, 1920
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
DeForest Kelley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
DeForest Kelley was born in Atlanta Georgia January 20, 1920. He graduated from highschool at 16 and went on to sing at the church where his father was a baptist minister.At seventeen he made his first trip outside the state to visit an uncle in Long Beach California, he intended to stay for 2 weeks but ended up staying a year. Upon returning home he told his parents he was moving to California to become an actor . His mother encouraged him but the idea didn't go over well with his father. In California Kelley was spotted by a Paramount scout while doing a Navy Training film. He went on acting in many westerns and eventually played the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy which changed his life forever.
- His personal favorite episode of _"Star Trek" (1966)_ (qv) was "The Empath".
- Of the four main _"Star Trek" (1966)_ (qv) cast members (the others being 'William Shatner' (qv), 'Leonard Nimoy' (qv) and 'James Doohan' (qv)), he is the only one who never appeared in _"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964)_ (qv) or _"The Outer Limits" (1963)_ (qv).
- Was the first primary cast member from _"Star Trek" (1966)_ (qv) to pass away.
- He plays a medic in "The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit" (1956). Foreshadowing things to come, His character's says "This man is dead, Captain".
- Is one of only 32 actors or actresses to have starred in both the original Star Trek up to and including _Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)_ (qv) and then in one of the spin offs.
- The _"Enterprise" (2001)_ (qv) character, Admiral Maxwell Forrest played by 'Vaughn Armstrong (I)' (qv), is named after him.
- He was cremated and his ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean.
- Played one of the Earp brothers in the film _Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)_ (qv) and faced the Earps in an episode of Star Trek. Also played Ike Clanton in episode "The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" on _"You Are There" (1953)_ (qv).