May. 13th, 1993
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Debby Ryan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Deborah Ann "Debby" Ryan (born May 13, 1993) is an American actress, singer, musician, songwriter and record producer.
Born in Huntsville, Alabama. She has performed in various theater performance groups, and talent competitions. Her father was in the military, so she moved to numerous places in Europe. She lived in Germany until she was 10 and can speak both English and German. She started performing in professional theaters at the age of seven on an American base in Germany.
She returned to the United States at the age of 10, in 2003, and was raised in Texas. She dreamed of acting full-time. In a 2009 People Magazine interview, she described herself as a "nerd" in school. Ryan was bullied in middle school for being a mascot and a member of the school's chess club.
Ryan has debuted in 2007 as a guest character in Barney: Let's Go to the Firehouse. She was in the 'Ice Cube' movie The Longshots , with 'Keke Palmer'. Ryan has played in many theatre productions. She can perform modern, hip hop and military dances. She is to play one of the main characters, Bailey Pickett in The Suite Life on Deck, replacing 'Ashley Tisdale'. She was seen attending 'Miley Cyrus' Sweet 16 at Disneyworld.
In 2010, she starred in the young adult film 16 Wishes, about a teenager named Abigail "Abby" Louise Jensen (Ryan) who has been planning for her sixteenth birthday party ever since she was a little girl with a list of secret wishes she wants to come true, and on the day of her 16th birthday, all of her wishes come true. 16 Wishes went on to become the most watched cable program on the day of its premiere on the Disney Channel and one of the most watched movies on television. In addition, the movie introduced Ryan to new audiences, such as the contemporary adult audience since the movie received high viewership in the adults demographic (18-34). Ryan noted that to prepare for her role in 16 Wishes, she watched numerous Brat Pack movies, most occasionally Sixteen Candles which she stated is very similar to 16 Wishes. When asked how she prepared for the role, she said "It's, at the end of the day it depends on the script. You can do a comedy and it's completely different than a different comedy. I watch a lot of movies. 16 Wishes, when I went up to do that I watched Sixteen Candles (rated PG) and a couple of coming-of-age films. I love 'Molly Ringwald'. So getting into the feel of that...." Ryan starred in The Suite Life Movie, based on the show she had starred in. The show finished its run on May 6, 2011.
In March 2011, it was announced that Ryan landed her own Disney Channel series called Jessie, which debuted in September 2011. The show follows a girl who moves from Texas to New York to become a star but becomes a nanny instead for a family with four children. Jessie is a show she also helped create, relating that she wanted her character to relate to herself.
Additionally, in a shift towards a more mature role, she guest starred in an episode of the Disney- owned ABC Studios show Private Practice as a recovering drug addict. In February 2012, she starred in another Disney Channel movie entitled Radio Rebel. On August 31, 2012 she voiced the character Spike in the Tinker Bell film Secret of the Wings. In 2013 Ryan filmed Last Chance Holiday, which will premiere in 2014.
- Likes to eat Chinese food.
- She is close friends with many fellow teen stars including 'Brenda Song' (qv), 'Selena Gomez' (qv), 'Brittany Curran' (qv), 'Josh Hutcherson' (qv), 'Demi Lovato' (qv), 'Victoria Justice' (qv), 'Dylan Sprouse' (qv), 'Cole Sprouse' (qv), 'Mitchel Musso' (qv), 'Cody Linley' (qv), 'Jennette McCurdy' (qv), 'Miranda Cosgrove' (qv) and 'Emma Roberts (III)' (qv).
- Ryan is home-schooled.
- Her celebrity crushes are 'William Moseley'_, 'Taylor Lautner'_, 'Ricky Ullman'_, and 'Cleo Thomas'_.
- She enjoys jazz and country music.
- Before being cast as one of the leads in ''The Suite Life on Deck'' and before modeling and professional work, she was involved in basic theater productions and shows in a public school in North Texas.
- Ryan has been on the cover of several teen magazine such as Tiger Beat, Teen Magazine, J-14 Magazine and Popstar Magazine.
- Her acting idols include 'Brenda Song' (qv) (whom she calls a Disney queen), 'Rachel McAdams' (qv), 'Tobey Maguire' (qv), 'Anne Hathaway (I)' (qv) and 'Meryl Streep' (qv).