Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
David John Tennant (né McDonald) is a Scottish actor. He is best known for his roles as the tenth incarnation of The Doctor in the BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who(2005–2010), Giacomo Casanova in the BBC comedy-drama serial Casanova (2005), the title prince in the RSC's 2009 adaptation of Hamlet (2009), Barty Crouch, Jr. in the fantasy film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), DI Alec Hardy in the ITV crime drama series Broadchurch (2013–2017), and Kilgrave in the Netflix superhero series Jessica Jones (2015–2019).
Tennant has also worked extensively as a voice actor and in theatre, including a portrayal of the title character in a 2008 production of Hamlet and the voice of Scrooge McDuck in DuckTales (2017–present). In 2015, he received the National Television Award for Special Recognition.
- Is only the 2nd actor to play The Doctor in the whole run of the show, both old and new, to have been born in Scotland.
- Considers Paisley as his hometown.
- On August 31, 2007, he turned on the illumination lights for Blackpool.
- Decided to be an actor at the age of three.
- Best friends with 'Louise Delamere' (qv) (_"No Angels" (2004)_ (qv)). They went to Glasgow's Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama together and shared a flat.
- Along with 'Elisabeth Sladen' (qv), 'John Leeson' (qv), 'Tommy Knight' (qv), 'Alexander Armstrong' (qv) and 'Lachele Carl' (qv), he is one of only six actors to play the same character in both _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) and _"The Sarah Jane Adventures" (2007)_ (qv).
- Says that his favorite Doctor from the original _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv) was 'Peter Davison (I)' (qv), who reprised his role as the Fifth Doctor alongside Tennant in the Children in Need special episode, "Time Crash.".
- Favorite actress is 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv).