Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
David John Tennant (né McDonald) is a Scottish actor. He is best known for his roles as the tenth incarnation of The Doctor in the BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who(2005–2010), Giacomo Casanova in the BBC comedy-drama serial Casanova (2005), the title prince in the RSC's 2009 adaptation of Hamlet (2009), Barty Crouch, Jr. in the fantasy film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), DI Alec Hardy in the ITV crime drama series Broadchurch (2013–2017), and Kilgrave in the Netflix superhero series Jessica Jones (2015–2019).
Tennant has also worked extensively as a voice actor and in theatre, including a portrayal of the title character in a 2008 production of Hamlet and the voice of Scrooge McDuck in DuckTales (2017–present). In 2015, he received the National Television Award for Special Recognition.
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.
- Won Best Actor, Theatre Management Association, for his role in "The Glass Menagerie" as Tom.
- (2000) Nominated for Best Classical Actor Under 30, 'Ian Charleson' (qv) Award for his theater role in "Comedy of Errors" as Antipholus of Syracuse.
- Along with 'Elisabeth Sladen' (qv), 'John Leeson' (qv), 'Tommy Knight' (qv), 'Alexander Armstrong' (qv) and 'Lachele Carl' (qv), he is one of only six actors to play the same character in both _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) and _"The Sarah Jane Adventures" (2007)_ (qv).
- On August 31, 2007, he turned on the illumination lights for Blackpool.
- While attending Paisley Grammar School, he wrote an essay on how his greatest desire was to play Doctor Who on TV.
- (2005) Won Best Male Performance, Critics Award for Theatre in Scotland, for his role in "Look Back in Anger" as Jimmy Porter.
- Decided to be an actor at the age of three.