Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
David Tennant is a Scottish actor and voice actor, known for Doctor Who, Broadchurch, Gracepoint, W1A, Jessica Jones, DuckTales, Dragons: Race to the Edge, and Final Space.
- (2000) Nominated for Best Classical Actor Under 30, 'Ian Charleson' (qv) Award for his theater role in "Comedy of Errors" as Antipholus of Syracuse.
- His heroes are 'John Cleese' (qv) and 'Derek Jacobi' (qv).
- Says that his favorite Doctor from the original _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv) was 'Peter Davison (I)' (qv), who reprised his role as the Fifth Doctor alongside Tennant in the Children in Need special episode, "Time Crash.".
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.
- Considers Paisley as his hometown.
- Won Best Actor, Theatre Management Association, for his role in "The Glass Menagerie" as Tom.
- Is the second Scots actor to be cast as the Doctor. The first was 'Sylvester McCoy' (qv), who was cast as the seventh Doctor in the original series. McCoy's time in the TARDIS was from 1987 to 1989.
- Attended Paisley Grammar.