Sep. 19th, 1933
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
David McCallum's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
His father, 'David McCallum Sr.', was first violinist for the London Philharmonic and his mother, Dorothy Dorman, was a cellist, so it is not surprising that he was originally headed for a career in music (oboe), studying briefly at the Royal Academy of Music. He left that, however, for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. He made nearly a dozen movies in the United Kingdom before his critically acclaimed work as Lieutenant Wyatt in Billy Budd (1962). He is perhaps best known for his portrayal of the blond U.N.C.L.E. agent Illya Kuryakin in TV's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1964).
- Hit #117 on the Billboard Singles Charts in 1966 with "Communication" (Capitol 5571)
- His adoptive son, Jason McCallum, died of an accidental drug overdose in 1985.
- Has two grandchildren.
- One of the first Brit actors to study the Method style of acting.
- Has appeared in episodes of three different series with 'Robert Vaughn (I)' (qv): _"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964)_ (qv), _"Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (1965)_ (qv), and _"The A-Team" (1983)_ (qv).
- Of the three original stars of _"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964)_ (qv), he is the only one who never appeared on the spin-off series _"The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." (1966)_ (qv).
- He has a daughter Sophie and three surviving sons, 'Paul McCallum (I)' (qv), 'Peter McCallum' (qv) and 'Val McCallum' (qv). He and 'Jill Ireland' (qv) had three children (including an adopted son Jason, who died on 7th November 1985 from an accidental drug overdose) and he had two children with his second wife, Katherine Carpenter.
- Son, 'Val McCallum' (qv), is a respected guitarist and session musician, recording and performing with artists 'Jonatha Brooke' (qv), 'Vonda Shepard' (qv) and 'Sheryl Crow' (qv).