May. 1st, 1950
Flat Rock, Michigan, USA
Dann Florek's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Raised in Flat Rock, Michigan, bald character actor Dann Florek majored in math and physics at Eastern Michigan University until a drama scholarship changed the course of his career direction. Trained at Juilliard, he appeared frequently on stage ranging from the classics ("Love's Labour's Lost," "A Midsummer Night's Dream") to contemporary pieces ("Strange Snow, "Big River," "The Three Cuckolds") appearing in such theater venues as the Globe Theatre and La Jolla Playhouse.
In Los Angeles from the 80s on, he received his biggest break on dramatic TV series work playing pragmatic officials on such hit shows as "L.A. Law" and, most notably, "Law and Order." Although not a name, he is a durable player and definable face who has occasionally engaged in film supports with Eddie Macon's Run (1983), Angel Heart (1987), Moon Over Parador (1988) and Beautiful Joe (2000) among his credits.
- Played Abraham Lincoln in the irreverent, controversial comedy series _"The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" (1998)_ (qv), which was very short-lived.
- An accomplished musician who collects music memorabilia.
- Along with 'Jerry Orbach' (qv), 'Chris Noth' (qv) and 'Fred Dalton Thompson' (qv), he is one of four _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) cast members who later joined the regular cast of one of the spin-off series. He played Captain Donald Cragen in _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) from 1990 to 1993 and in _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv) since 1999.
- An avid golfer, he collects antique golf clubs. Some of which can be seen in his office in _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv).
- Wife Karen is an artist.
- Is the only actor to appear in the pilots of two different "Law & Order" series (_"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) and _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv)).
- Brother of 'Dave Florek (I)' (qv).
- Is one of four cast members from "Law & Order" whose character became a regular on a "Law & Order" spin-off. He played Capt. Donald Cragen in both "Law & Order" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."