Mar. 13th, 1956
New York City, New York, USA
Dana Delany's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dana Welles Delany (born March 13, 1956), in New York City and raised in Stamford, Connecticut. Dana knew early in life that she wanted to be an actress. Following graduation from Wesleyan University, this tall (5'7") beauty moved to New York and developed her skills working in daytime television and theater. Dana starred in the Broadway show "A Life" and received critical acclaim in a number of off-Broadway productions as well. Her role in Nicholas Kazan's controversial "Bloodmoon" in New York led her to Hollywood. Dana acted in a number of TV series, working steadily until she could get her own starring vehicle. That happened in 1988 when Dana became identified with Army nurse Colleen McMurphy in ABC TV's critically acclaimed series China Beach (1988), the role earning her three Emmy nominations and two Emmy Awards as Best Actress.
Dana moved on to movies and eventually started getting starring roles in films, such as Exit to Eden (1994). With over a dozen TV and movie projects within the last few years, Dana is one of the busiest actresses in Hollywood.
- 3/18/81: Her father, who was her biggest fan, died from pancreatic cancer.
- Shares a birthday with her _True Women (1997) (TV)_ (qv) co-star 'Annabeth Gish' (qv).
- Friend of 'Arleen Sorkin' (qv) and 'Bob Saget' (qv).
- Original choice for the role of "Bree" on _"Desperate Housewives" (2004)_ (qv). Role went to her friend, 'Marcia Cross' (qv). They both appeared on _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv), but on different episodes.
- Favorite TV shows are _"Mad Men" (2007)_ (qv) and _"30 Rock" (2006)_ (qv).
- Attended and graduated from Wesleyan University.
- Although she is from New York City and is a stage-trained actress, she admitted in an interview that she prefers film and television work to stage work.
- Has an older brother, Sean Delany, and a younger sister, Corey Delany.