Oct. 14th, 1940
5' 10 1/2
Sir Cliff Richard's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cliff Richard burst onto the rock'n'roll world in 1958 with his hit Single Move It. He was then know as Britain's answer to Elvis Presley. His first film was Serious Charge (1959) followed by Expresso Bongo (1959), The Young Ones (1961) and Summer Holiday (1963). The Young Ones (1961) and Summer Holiday (1963) were both massive hits for Cliff in Britain and overseas where Cliff was now a major pop star. His next film, Wonderful Life (1964) (retitled It's Wonderful TO Be Young in the USA) was not as succesful as his other films. His other films were Finders Keepers (1966), Two a Penny (1967) and Take Me High (1973). Cliff has retained his popularity as a pop star in most parts of the world (excepting the US) as a major pop star and has had over 120 hit singles in the UK charts.
- Highest Selling Album: "Private Collection" (1988) Almost 2 million copies sold.
- Winner of the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution in 1989.
- Winner of the British Phonographic Industry Award for British Male Solo Artist in 1982.
- Highest selling single: "We Don't Talk Anymore" (1979), almost 5 million copies sold worldwide.
- He figures prominently in 'Brendan O'Carroll' (qv)'s hilarious comic novel, "The Mammy" in which Agnes Browne, the main character, fulfills her life-long dream of "a dance with Cliff Richard on Christmas Eve" at the end of the novel. In the film _Agnes Browne (1999)_ (qv) (The Mammy), he was replaced by 'Tom Jones (I)' (qv), who plays himself.
- He had 14 #1 hits between 1958 and 1999 - including his single "The Millenium Prayer" which reached #1 in November 1999.
- Represented the United Kingdom in _The Eurovision Song Contest (1973) (TV)_ (qv) (Concours Eurovision de la chanson) in 1968 - "Congratulations" & 1973 - "Power to all our friends".
- He sparked rumors of a retirement on December 1999 after several radio stations playlisted his single "The Millennium Prayer" on that month.
Related sites for this celeb