Apr. 2nd, 1961
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Christopher Meloni's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Christopher Peter Meloni is an American actor. He is known for his television roles as NYPD Detective Elliot Stabler on the NBC police drama Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and as inmate Chris Keller on the HBO prison drama Oz.
- Was scheduled to appear on _"Inside the Actors Studio" (1994)_ (qv) with 'Dick Wolf (I)' (qv), 'Chris Noth' (qv), and 'S. Epatha Merkerson' (qv), but had to back out due to an illness.
- He wears a fake tattoo of the United States Marine Corps emblem (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor) on his arm for his role in SVU (as seen in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Season 7 episodes, Season 8, Episode 8: "Underbelly" and Season 6, Episode 5: "Outcry".) He has a real tattoo of a butterfly on his upper thigh, and a cubist representation of the crucifixion of Christ tattooed on his upper left arm.
- An accomplished card shark.
- Originally from Washington DC, Chris now lives in New York with his production designer wife, 'Sherman Williams (I)' (qv). Chris worked as a construction worker prior to getting his acting break. He got a degree in history at the University of Colorado.
- Particularly early on in his career, he was often confused for actor 'Elias Koteas' (qv).
- Is often said to resemble a young 'Robert De Niro' (qv).
- Accepted the honors at his old alma mater (St. Stephens and St. Agnes School in Alexandria) as the 1978 undefeated football team for which he quarterbacked was inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- His two best known characters are on opposite sides of the law. On _"Oz" (1997)_ (qv), he played Chris Keller, a perverted bisexual, sociopathic serial killer who terrorizes his fellow inmates. On _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv) , he plays Elliot Stabler, a sex-crimes investigator so protective of his family and so intense in his hatred of criminals, that like Keller, he fantasizes about getting away with killing them. Ironically, Meloni's acting background is mainly in comedy.