Mar. 28th, 1960
Hannover, Lower Saxony, West Germany
Chris Barrie's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Christopher Jonathan Barrie was born on March 28th, 1960, in Hannover, Germany. He was brought up in Northern Ireland, and was a boarder at a Methodist College in Belfast. He was Head Boy in his final year, and played the lead in a "Dial M for Murder" production. He eventually started a business course at Brighton Polytechnic, but dropped out after a time. After working at various jobs and developing his impressionist skills, he decided to shift careers to television and film.
He originally met Rob Grant (I) and Doug Naylor (I) on Jasper Carrott's "Carrott's Lib" (1982), and eventually went on to perform on the radio, for a show called "Son of Cliche", which both Rob Grant (I) and Doug Naylor (I) were working on. Around this time, he was working on the television show, "Spitting Image" (1984).
This association with Rob Grant (I) and Doug Naylor (I) later caused the two of them to have him audition for "Red Dwarf" (1988). A few years after the beginning of "Red Dwarf" (1988), he brought life to another character in the sitcom "The Brittas Empire" (1991).
He currently lives in Berkshire, England, with his wife Alecks.
- Born in Germany and brought up in Northern Ireland.
- Is an antique car collector.
- Is a master at impersonation and mimicry. Many out-takes on the DVDs for the _"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv) series feature clips of Chris perfectly imitating the voices and mannerisms of the other cast members (especially 'Craig Charles (I)' (qv) and 'Norman Lovett' (qv)). Also shown is his amazingly perfect impression, both voice and face, of comedian 'Kenneth Williams (I)' (qv).
- He met his current wife, Alecks, during a bomb scare.
- The heavy schedule of playing the main character in two situation comedies (_"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv) and _"The Brittas Empire" (1991)_ (qv)) forced him to turn down the role of Zazu in _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv) as he couldn't find the time.
- Originally auditioned for the part of Lister in _"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv), but was cast as Rimmer instead.
Related sites for this celeb