Sep. 25th, 1969
Swansea, West Glamorgan, Wales, UK
Catherine Zeta-Jones' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Catherine Zeta-Jones (born September 25, 1969, in Swansea, West Glamorgan, Wales, UK, the daughter of Dai Jones, who formerly worked for a candy factory, and Pat Jones. Her brother David Jones (b. 1967) is a development executive and brother Lyndon Jones (b.1972) works at her production company.
Zeta-Jones showed an interest early on in entertainment. She starred on stage in Annie, Bugsy Malone and The Pajama Game. At 15 she had the lead in the British revival of 42nd Street. She was originally cast as the second understudy for the lead role in the musical but when the star and first understudy became sick the night the play's producer was in the audience, she was given the lead for the rest of the musical's production.
She first made a name for herself in the early 1990s when she starred in the Yorkshire Television comedy/drama series The Darling Buds of May. The show was a smash hit and made her one of the United Kingdom's most popular television actresses.
Zeta-Jones subsequently played supporting roles in several films including Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, the miniseries Catherine the Great (1995) and a larger part as the seductive Sala in The Phantom before landing her breakthrough role playing the fiery Elena opposite Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas in The Mask of Zorro. She starred in many big-budget blockbusters like Entrapment, The Haunting and Traffic, for which many believed she was robbed of an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress.
In November 2000 she married actor Michael Douglas. She gave birth to their son Dylan Michael, (August 2000).
- Is an avid fan of musicals, paticularly the ones she saw as a child: _Mary Poppins (1964)_ (qv) and _Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)_ (qv).
- Thursday December 11 2003 she was a hostess, together with husband 'Michael Douglas (I)' (qv), at the 2003 annual Nobel Peace Price Concert in Oslo Spectrum in Oslo, Norway.
- As a child, she was exposed to a virus that gave her breathing difficulties. This required a tracheotomy surgery, which ultimately left a surgical scar on her neck.
- In the June 1998 of Yahoo! Internet magazine, she was listed as the number one actress being searched on Yahoo!.
- (31 December 1999) Became engaged to 'Michael Douglas (I)' (qv) in Aspen, Colorado.
- Her production company is Milkwood Films, named after the play "Under Milkwood" by Welsh writer 'Dylan Thomas (I)' (qv). She and Thomas are both from the same Welsh town, Swansea.
- _Ocean's Twelve (2004)_ (qv) reunited her with previous colleagues 'Steven Soderbergh' (qv), 'George Clooney' (qv), 'Brad Pitt' (qv), 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) and 'Don Cheadle' (qv).
- Named #82 in FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006" supplement. (2006).