Jan. 1st, 1968
Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Cat Cora's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cat Cora was raised in a small Greek community in Jackson, Mississippi by a family who held strongly to their Greek and Southern heritage. Both her grandfather, father, and godfather were restaurateurs and by the time she was fifteen she had already presented a business plan to them for her very own restaurant. During college she cooked at an Italian bistro and a private dining club preparing classical French cuisine. After graduating from college, Cat backpacked through Europe for four months in search of good food and wine.
Leaving Mississippi for New York with a Bachelor of Science degree in exercise physiology and biology under her belt, Cat got the education of her dreams at The Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park. While in New York, she apprenticed with and then worked for Chef Anne Rozenweig at Arcadia and worked at the Beekman tavern under Chef Larry Forgione of An American Place. Her culinary education continued in Europe with apprenticeships with two of France's three-star Michelin chefs: George Blanc and Roger Verge.
After returning to New York, Cat worked as a sous chef at The Old Chatham Shepherding Company under Chef Melissa Kelly before heading west to Northern California. She was offered the position of Chef de Cuisine in Napa Valley's Bistro Don Giovanni.
- Executive chef for Bon Appetit magazine.
- Cat and her partner, Jennifer Cora, are each expecting a boy. Cat is due in July, 2009 and Jennifer is due in April, 2010 [March 10, 2009].
- Son, Thatcher Julius, born April 4, 2009, by Jennifer.
- Receiving her Bachelor of Science in Exercise Physiology and Biology at the University of Southern Mississippi, she enrolled (at the urging of 'Julia Child' (qv)) at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York.
- Has cooked for 'Jacques Pepin' (qv), 'Robert Mondavi' (qv), 'Wolfgang Puck' (qv) and 'Bill Gates (I)' (qv). Member of the Screen Actors Guild.
- She says her interests are Yoga/meditation, water skiing and skiing/boarding, body surfing, dancing to 'Abba (I)' (qv) with her 14-month-old son, rocking' out with her guitar. And, of course, cooking, eating and drinking great wine.
- President and co-founder (in January 2005) of Chefs for Humanity.
- Son, Nash Lemuel, born July 19, 2009. He weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz.