Apr. 13th, 1964
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Caroline Rhea's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Caroline Gilchrist Rhea (born April 13, 1964) is a Canadian stand-up comedian and actress.
Rhea was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, the daughter of Marjorie, an antiques dealer, and David Rhea, an obstetrician and gynecologist. She has two sisters, Cynthia and Celia. She attended The Study, an all-girls private school in Westmount, Quebec and Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia.
Rhea has said that her true training came from her first gigs at the comedy club, Catch a Rising Star. Performing around New York City, she quickly gained a reputation in the city's competitive comedy scene. These performances were augmented with appearances on MTV's Half-Hour Comedy Hour, Comic Strip Live and Caroline's Comedy Hour.
She decided to move to Los Angeles for a career in Hollywood, debuting in NBC television series Pride & Joy co-starring with 'Jeremy Piven'. She gained fame for her role as Aunt Hilda on the ABC (and later, The WB network) television show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, as well as being a regular on the latest incarnation of Hollywood Squares.
In 2002, Rhea landed her own syndicated daytime talk show, The Caroline Rhea Show. Rosie O'Donnell hand-picked Rhea as her replacement. In 2004, Rhea became the first host of the series, The Biggest Loser on NBC, a weight loss reality show in which overweight members of two teams try to lose the most weight. After her 3rd season, Rhea was replaced by Alison Sweeney.
In 2005, Rhea was in the movie The Perfect Man, playing a co-worker of Jean (Heather Locklear). She has appeared on Disney's Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire as the mother and also Christmas with the Kranks in 2004. She has competed on Bravo's Celebrity Poker Showdown and GSN's World Series of Blackjack.
Rhea currently hosts the Canadian television series Cake Walk: Wedding Cake Edition on Slice, which premiered September 7, 2011. She is also frequently a guest on the revival of Match Game on Canada's The Comedy Network.
In 2013, Rhea hosted a travelling live stage show version of the game show Family Feud which toured fairs in the US and Canada, including the Calgary Stampede.
Rhea and comedian 'Costaki Economopoulos' have a daughter Ava, who was born in New York on Thursday, October 23, 2008.
- Attended summer camp in upstate New York as a kid and again later as a Counselor. She taught Drama and kept the place laughing at all times.
- (April 1999) became engaged to Bob Kelty, a special-projects director for nonprofit organizations. They met at a Comic Relief fund-raiser.
- Caroline Rhea and Costaki Economopoulos became the parents of their first child, a girl named Ava Rhea Economopoulos, on October 20, 2008, weighing in at 8 lb. 15 oz.
- Took comedy classes at Manhattan's New School. She worked as a waitress for a caterer for seven years, while she waited for her first break.
- Her sisters' names are Cynthia and Celia
- Her last name is pronounced "ray."
- Has a goddaughter named Pam.
- Split with her fiance Bob Kelty in (April 2003). The two were planning a wedding for the year.