May. 13th, 1938
Buck Taylor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Walter Clarence "Buck" Taylor, III (born May 13, 1938) is an American actor and water color artist best known for his role as gunsmith-turned-deputy Newly O'Brien in 113 episodes during the last eight seasons of CBS's Gunsmoke television series (1967–1975). In recent years, he has painted the portrait of his friend and Gunsmoke costar James Arness. Taylor's painting specialty is the American West, and each year, he creates the posters for several Texas rodeos. Taylor lives with his second wife on a ranch near Fort Worth, Texas.
- He thought so highly of _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) star 'James Arness' (qv), who played Marshal Matt Dillon, that he named his second son Matthew. He also named his third son Cooper Glenn after 'Glenn Strange (I)' (qv).
- Grandfather of Carlyle Taylor.
- Father of 'Adam C. Taylor' (qv), 'Matthew Taylor (IV)' (qv), and 'Cooper Taylor' (qv)
- He and current wife Goldie live on a ranch north of Fort Worth, Texas. They met in 1995 at a world quarter-horse show, where his paintings were being exhibited, and married after a three-month courtship.
- He studied art on a scholarship while in college and later was seen sketching during film and TV breaks. An accomplished western artist who enjoys exploring America's "Old West" and delving into typical everyday cowboy scenes of hitching horses or setting up camp, he specializes in watercolor.
- Grandfather of Zane Taylor.
- His grizzled, roly-poly character actor/father 'Dub Taylor (I)' (qv) was best known as 'Michael J. Pollard' (qv)'s turncoat father who leads 'Warren Beatty' (qv) and 'Faye Dunaway' (qv) to their memorably stylized deaths in _Bonnie and Clyde (1967)_ (qv). On TV he appeared in many western settings and will be remembered for his role on _"I Love Lucy" (1951)_ (qv) as "Rattlesnake Jones," the gruff cowboy entertainer who tries to help Lucy prepare for Ricky's rodeo show by nasaling out a version of "Home on the Range."
- Son of 'Dub Taylor (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb