May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1978" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 30.
- Did an audition for the role of Vivian in _Pretty Woman (1990)_ (qv), but the role went to 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) (and Roberts became a major star with this movie).
- (1996) Chosen as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People Magazine.
- Named one of America's 10 most beautiful women by Harper's Bazaar magazine (1981).
- She has 3 half sisters: Marina, Cristiana and Olympia. She also has half brothers and a step sister named Diana.
- Appointed Honorary Ambassador of Peace for the Harvey Ball Foundation along with 'Jackie Chan (I)' (qv), 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv), 'A.V.T. Shankardass' (qv), 'Prince Albert of Monaco' (qv), 'Jack Nicklaus' (qv), 'Greg Norman' (qv), 'Phil Collins (I)' (qv), 'Jimmy Buffett' (qv), 'Dale Earnhardt Jr.' (qv), 'Darrell Waltrip' (qv), 'Heather Mills (II)' (qv), 'Yoko Ono (I)' (qv), 'Patch Adams' (qv), 'Sergei Khrushchev' (qv) and 'Winnie Mandela' (qv).
- Appeared on the cover of the 1977 album "Magic is a Child" by the progressive rock group Nektar.
- Was paid $1 million in 1981 to endorse Wella Balsam shampoo.