Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Brian Cox's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Brian Denis Cox CBE is a Scottish actor who works with the Royal Shakespeare Company, where he gained recognition for his portrayal of King Lear. He currently stars as media magnate Logan Roy on HBO's Succession. Cox is also known for appearing in Medici, Penny Dreadful, The Game, Super Troopers, The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, X2, Braveheart, Rushmore, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Troy. He was the first actor to portray Hannibal Lecter on film in 1986's Manhunter.
Brian Cox has expressed regret over becoming a CBE (Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) and has said he would “never” accept a knighthood. Cox, who is a campaigner for Scottish independence, said he should have “thought better” when he accepted the honour in 2003 for his services to drama. An Emmy Award and Golden Globe winner, Cox has also been nominated for the BAFTA
- First actor to portray Dr. Hannibal Lecter on the screen.
- Although it is indicated in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) that his character (William Stryker) is at least 20 years older than 'Bruce Davison' (qv)'s character (Senator Kelly), in real life, he is only 27 days older.
- Member of the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) in Stratford Upon Avon, England, where he is most recognized for his performance of 'King Lear'.
- He was awarded the 1984 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Best Actor for his performances in Rat in the Skull and Strange Interlude.
- Second son Torin Kamran Charles born October 2004.
- Scottish-born, but of Irish Catholic extraction.
- Appeared as an extra in several episodes of _"The Prisoner" (1967)_ (qv).
- He does not watch or view his own work.