Jul. 31st, 1951
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Barry Van Dyke's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Barry Van Dyke (born July 31, 1951) is an American actor and the second son of actor and entertainer, (Dick Van Dyke), and nephew of (Jerry Van Dyke). He has one older brother, (Christian), and two younger sisters, (Stacy) and (Carrie Beth). He is best known to audiences as Lieutenant Detective Steve Sloan, a homicide detective and the son of Mark Sloan (played by Dick Van Dyke) on Diagnosis: Murder. In the show, the characters' relatives were frequently played by real-life family members.
Van Dyke's TV debut was as Florian, a violin-toting nine-year-old in "The Talented Neighborhood" episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show alongside big brother Christian. He worked behind the scenes on subsequent ventures of his father, and has co-starred with him in two television series, The Van Dyke Show (which was cancelled after just five episodes) and Diagnosis: Murder, as well as subsequently becoming a star in his own right, building up an extensive filmography. He also wrote and directed several episodes of Diagnosis: Murder. After Diagnosis: Murder ended, Van Dyke appeared in the Murder 101 television films, again alongside his father.
His other television work includes a starring role in the short-lived Galactica 1980 as Lieutenant Dillon, and appearances in Remington Steele, The Love Boat, Magnum, P.I., The Dukes of Hazzard, as Ace Combat Pilot and former M.I.A. soldier St. John Hawke in the fourth and final season of Airwolf (1984), The A-Team, Gun Shy (1983), Murder, She Wrote, Mork & Mindy, and The Redd Foxx Show (1986).
His films include Foxfire Light (1982), It Happened at Lakewood Manor (1977) (aka ANTS!) and Casino (1980).
Van Dyke met his wife, Mary, when they were both sixteen and he was working as a ticket-taker at a neighborhood movie theatre. Seven years later, they were married. They have four children: actor (Carey Van Dyke), actor (Shane Van Dyke), actor (Wes Van Dyke) and actress (Taryn Van Dyke). Carey and Shane have guest-starred with their Dad and Grandpa, in scripts written by their father on Diagnosis Murder (1993).
He is an avid motorcyclist with special enthusiasm for dirt bikes. Van Dyke has participated in protest rides to preserve the rights of motorcyclists to fair use of public lands. He also loves to surf and once rescued a drowning person from the ocean off Baja.
- Has four children: 'Carey Van Dyke' (qv), 'Shane Van Dyke' (qv), 'Wes Van Dyke' (qv) and 'Taryn Van Dyke' (qv).
- Son of 'Dick Van Dyke' (qv)
- Attended Pierce Junior College in LA - majored in Theater Arts.
- Brother of 'Stacy Van Dyke' (qv), 'Carrie Beth van Dyke' (qv) and 'Christian Van Dyke' (qv).
- Best known by the public for his role as Det. Steve Sloan on _"Diagnosis Murder" (1993)_ (qv).
- His sons 'Shane Van Dyke' (qv) and 'Carey Van Dyke' (qv) guest starred in two episodes of _"Diagnosis Murder" (1993)_ (qv) written by Barry.
- He and his oldest son Carey wrote the very last episode of _"Diagnosis Murder" (1993)_ (qv) (in the 8th season) called "The Blair Nurse Project".
- His four children have all starred in two episodes of 'Diagnosis Murder" (1993)_ together: 6th season - "Never Say Die" and 7th season - "Frontier Dad".
Related sites for this celeb