Sep. 20th, 1949
Harlem, New York, USA
Anthony John Denison's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Anthony John Sarrero (born September 20, 1949), also known by his stage name Anthony Denison, is an American actor. The eldest of three, he was born and raised in Harlem, New York. Before acting he worked for John Hancock Insurance as a life insurance agent in Poughkeepsie, New York. At the same time he was acting, starring in several stage productions in the New Paltz, New York locale. His stage surname "Denison" was taken from his friend Jan Denison during his days as an actor and director at a nonprofit theater in the late 1970s. Tony also ran a poker club in the early 80's on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
He is well known for his role as mob boss Ray Luca on the 1980s NBC television show Crime Story which ran from 1986 to 1988. Afterwards he starred and guest-starred in several crime movies and television programs, notably Wiseguy, in which he portrayed undercover agent John Henry Raglin penetrating the corrupt New York garment trade; Getting Gotti, 1994 (in which he portrayed John Gotti), Criminal Passion (1994), and The Amy Fisher Story, 1993, where he played Joey Buttafuoco. He also played head coach Mike George in ESPN's drama series Playmakers. He appeared on Charmed as the Charmed Ones' mortal father for the first season, but was immediately discarded and subsequently replaced by James Read. His latest work is the recently completed movie Karla, in which he plays Detective Burows. Denison is part of the regular cast in The Closer airing on TNT and he also had a recurring role as Aldo Burrows on the Fox series Prison Break. In the year 2000 he also played the role, of a killer for hire in Walker, Texas Ranger.
- In 1977, he was a life-insurance agent for John Hancock Insurance in Poughkeepsie, New York. He spent his spare time in various stage plays in New Paltz, New York.
- Has worked in construction, as a chess tournament promoter, a backgammon tournament promoter, a life-insurance salesperson, a chauffeur, and a newspaper editor.
- Denison is his godmother's name.
- Born to Sicilian parents, he eldest of three children, he was raised in Harlem. In late 1979, he had a job as an actor and director for a nonprofit theater. He took the name Denison from his friend Jan Denison, who supported him in his pursuit to act.
- When 'Ken Wahl' (qv), the star of _"Wiseguy" (1987)_ (qv), suffered an injury that incapcitated him, Denison was chosen to fill the gap by playing another agent, who appeared for the duration of storyline that the show was engaged in at the time.
- He used the profits from his own construction company to pay for his college education.
- Has been married twice. His first marriage was in the 1970s and ended before the decade was over.
- Went to State University of New York (SUNY) in New Paltz, New York. Received a bachelor's degree.
Related sites for this celeb