Nov. 12th, 1982
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Anne Hathaway's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (born November 12, 1982) is an American actress. After several stage roles, she appeared in the 1999 television series Get Real.
Hathaway was born in Brooklyn, New York. Her father, Gerald Thomas Hathaway, is a lawyer, and her mother, Kathleen Ann "Kate" (née McCauley), is an actress who inspired Hathaway to follow in her footsteps. Hathaway's mother played Fantine in the first U.S. tour of Les Misérables. When she was six years old, the family moved to Millburn, New Jersey, which is where she grew up. Hathaway has an older brother, Michael, and a younger brother, Thomas. She is of mostly Irish and French ancestry, with distant Native American and German roots.
Hathaway came to prominence after playing Mia Thermopolis in the Disney film The Princess Diaries (2001) and in its 2004 sequel as a young girl who discovers she's a member of royalty, opposite 'Julie Andrews' and 'Heather Matarazzo'.
She also had a notable role in Nicholas Nickleby (2002) opposite 'Charlie Hunnam' and 'Jamie Bell', and a starring role in Ella Enchanted (2004). A former top-ranking soprano in New York, Hathaway was reportedly a front-runner for the role of "Christine" in the 2004 The Phantom of the Opera (2004). However, due to scheduling conflicts with The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she couldn't take the role, which was later given to newcomer 'Emmy Rossum'.
Hathaway soon started to move away from family-friendly films. Following The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she appeared topless in the films Havoc (2005) opposite 'Josh Peck' and Brokeback Mountain (2005) opposite 'Heath Ledger' and 'Jake Gyllenhaal'. Her desire to break out of her Princess Diaries image parallels that of her one-time co-star, Julie Andrews, who went topless in the film S.O.B. (1981) in order to break away from the image she created from her 1960s musicals. In interviews, Hathaway said that doing family-friendly films didn't mean she was similar to their characters or mean she objected to appearing nude in other films.
Her upcoming films are The Devil Wears Prada (2006) opposite 'Meryl Streep', and Becoming Jane (2007), in which she'll play a young 'Jane Austen'.
- In 1998, was nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role at the Paper Mill Playhouse "Rising Star Awards", an award given to high schools across New Jersey. Ironically, she was nominated for playing the Princess in "Once Upon A Mattress". To further the irony, she lost to a girl who was played the exact same role. The nomination ballot listed her as Annie Hathaway.
- Won the Clarence Derwent Award for her performance as Lili in the City Center Encores! production of Carnival (2002)
- First and only teenager admitted to the acting program at the award-winning The Barrow Group in New York. Three days before being cast in _"Get Real" (1999)_ (qv), she performed in two concerts at Carnegie Hall as member of All- Eastern U.S. High School Honors Chorus.
- Ranked #6 by InStyle magazine as one of the 10 most stylish stars in Hollywood (2007).
- One of People Magazine's Most Beautiful People 2009.
- Turned down the lead role in _Knocked Up (2007)_ (qv).
- Was ranked #85 on FHM's sexiest women in the world list 2006.
- Suffered from depressions when she was a teenager.