Dec. 5th, 1976
Dallas, Texas, USA
Amy Acker's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Amy Louise Acker (born December 5, 1976) is an American actress. She currently plays Samantha "Root" Groves on Person of Interest, having been promoted to a series regular in the show's third season.
Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Acker is the oldest of four children of Robert Acker, a lawyer, and Sandra Bruyere, a housewife, of French ancestry, and the cousin of Joel Jeffrey Acker.
An acting major at Southern Methodist University, Acker acted in several college theater productions. She appeared in various roles during the fantasy segments for the popular award-winning children's TV series Wishbone (1995), which was filmed in Texas and consisted of Dallas theater actors. Upon graduation she worked in Wisconsin and New York before winning the role of "Fred" on Angel (1999).
Acker made her major television debut when she starred as Winifred "Fred" Burkle on the 2nd - 5th seasons of Angel, and also as the character of Illyria for part of the show's 5th and final season. She won the 2003 Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television for her portrayal.
She joined the cast of Alias in 2005 for its final season, playing villainess Kelly Peyton. Acker graduated from guest star to fully credited cast member as the show entered the final episodes in April and May 2006. Also in 2005, Acker provided voice acting for the character of Huntress on the animated series Justice League Unlimited. She went on to make a guest appearance on How I Met Your Mother, in which she was reunited with Angel co-star, 'Alexis Denisof' (Hannigan's real-life husband), who had a recurring role on the show.
She portrayed Dr. Claire Saunders/Whiskey, a recurring character, on Joss Whedon's Dollhouse. Acker guest starred in 10 of the 13 episodes of the first season and three episodes of the second.
In 2010, she was a series regular in the ABC drama Happy Town, portraying the character Rachel Conroy. That same year, she starred in the season-one finale of the Fox series Human Target, as the mysterious Katherine Walters. On May 25, 2010, she appeared on CBS's The Good Wife. She appeared in the horror movie The Cabin in the Woods, released April 13, 2012. In 2012, she made guest performances in Warehouse 13, Once Upon A Time, and Grimm. In 2012, she starred as Beatrice in Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing.
Acker appeared in the sitcom Husbands's third season as Claudia, the ex-fiancée of Brady Kelly who unexpectedly shows up. In March 2014, Acker was cast as Audrey, a former lover to Phil Coulson in an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
On April 25, 2003, Acker wed actor 'James Carpinello' in California. The couple have two children.
- Wore her own glasses as Fred on "Angel".
- Second child, a daughter, Ava Grace Carpinello, born 1 September 2006 in Los Angeles, weighing 7 lbs, 4 oz.
- She studied ballet, modern dance and jazz dance for 13 years before moving onto acting. She underwent knee surgery while in high school, ending her ballet career, and she began to study acting in her sophomore year. She enrolled at Southern Methodist University in 1995 to take advantage of that school's renowned theatrical program.
- Starting with the season five episode, "S.O.S.", she was promoted from guest star to series regular on _"Alias" (2001)_ (qv), and appeared in the opening credits until the series ended.
- While on _"Angel" (1999)_ (qv), she and her co-star, 'J. August Richards' (qv), shared a trailer for quite some time.
- 1995 graduate of Lake Highlands High School.
- Son, Jackson James Carpinello, born 22 January 2005.