Aug. 28th, 1965
Rochford, Essex, England, UK
Amanda Tapping's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Amanda Tapping (born August 28, 1965) is an Canadian actress, producer and director.
Born in Rochford, Essex, England, she moved with her family to Ontario, Canada when she was three years old. She attended North Toronto Collegiate Institute where she excelled in environmental science and drama. However, when she finished in 1984, she decided to focus her attention on drama, attending the University of Windsor School of Dramatic Arts in Windsor, Ontario.
After graduation Tapping continued to study theatrical arts while performing in several stage productions. She appeared in several television commercials and played a variety of roles in television and film productions, such as The Outer Limits and The X-Files. She also formed a comedy troupe, the "Random Acts", with collaborators Katherine Jackson and Anne Marie Kerr, in Toronto in the early 1990s.
Tapping is best known for her portrayal of Samantha Carter in the science fiction television series Stargate SG-1, which debuted in 1997. After SG-1 aired its final episode, Tapping reprised the role of Samantha Carter on Stargate Atlantis as the new commander of the Atlantis expedition. In season five however, Tapping's role on the show was reduced to that of "special guest-star" with only occasional appearances due to her choosing to focus attention on the development of a new series for Syfy called Sanctuary. The show expanded on an original series of eight webisodes released on the internet in 2007. The bulk of the scenery and characters were entirely green screen and CGI creations. Tapping served as both star and executive producer of the show.
Tapping was reportedly working with William Shatner on a 2011 animated webisode series "The Zenoids", written by Alan Dean Foster. Tapping and Shatner voice characters and Tapping is executive producer.
In 2007, she won a Canadian Comedy Award for Best Actress for her role in the short film Breakdown.
On September 18, 2012, she was cast as an angel named Naomi on the season 8 of TV series Supernatural. She was a recurring character who appeared in 7 episodes.
Tapping's first directing experience was during the seventh season of Stargate SG-1 on an episode titled "Resurrection", written by co-star 'Michael Shanks'. She directed the seventh episode of Sanctuary season two titled "Veritas". She has directed three episodes (6, 8 and 10) of Primeval: New World and one episode (2.12) of Continuum.
Tapping has appeared in many movies such as Booty Call (1997), Life or Something Like It (2002), and Rent-a-Kid (1995).
On September 23, 1994 she married 'Alan Kovacs'. As of 2004, Tapping and her husband live in Vancouver, British Columbia. She has one daughter, Olivia, born on March 22, 2005. Tapping has two living brothers, Richard and Christopher. Chris is her fraternal twin, who works in Toronto as a database administrator. A third brother, Steven, died in December 2006. She also has a dog named Abbie.
- Daughter, Olivia B. Kovacs, was born on 22nd March 2005; she weighed in at 9 pounds 4 ounces.
- Her brothers' names are Richard, Steven and Christopher, where Christopher is her fraternal twin. Two of her co-stars on _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv) are also named Richard and Christopher.
- Is a spokesperson for UNICEF.
- Her brother Steven, who suffered from very severe epileptic attacks, died in December 2006.
- Along with 'Gary Jones (I)' (qv), she is one of only two actors to appear in all ten seasons of _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv) and all five seasons of _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv).
- Raised in Toronto, Ontario.
- Of the other four original _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv) regulars, she is the only one who did not meet and/or work with 'Richard Dean Anderson' (qv) before the series began.
- Co-Founded the Canadian comedy group "Random Acts"