Sep. 9th, 1966
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Adam Sandler's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Adam Sandler (born September 9, 1966), in Brooklyn, New York, to Judy and Stanley Sandler. At 17, he took his first step towards becoming a stand-up comedian when he spontaneously took the stage at a Boston comedy club. He found he was a natural comic. He nurtured his talent while at New York University (graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1991) by performing regularly in clubs and at universities. During his freshman year, he snagged a recurring role as the Huxtable family's friend Smitty on The Cosby Show (1984).
While working at a comedy club in L.A., he was "discovered" by 'Dennis Miller', who recommended him to Saturday Night Live (1975) producer 'Lorne Michaels' and told him that Sandler had a big talent. This led to his being cast in the show in 1990, which he also wrote for in addition to performing. After Saturday Night Live (1975), Sandler went on to the movies, starring in such hit comedies as Airheads (1994), Happy Gilmore (1996), Billy Madison (1995) and Big Daddy (1999). He has also starred in Mr. Deeds (2002) alongside 'Winona Ryder'; Eight Crazy Nights (2002), an animated movie about the Jewish festival of Chanukah; and Punch-Drunk Love (2002).
He also writes and produces many of his own films and has composed songs for several of them, including The Wedding Singer (1998). Sandler has had several of his songs placed on the "Billboard" charts, including the classic "The Chanukah Song".
- Grew up in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Adam's comedy album "Stan and Judy's Kid" set a record for most albums sold by a comedy album in its first week. It debuted at number 16 on the Billboard charts. All three of his previous comedy albums have gone platinum.
- Has starred alongside 'Drew Barrymore (I)' (qv) in two movies: _The Wedding Singer (1998)_ (qv) and _50 First Dates (2004)_ (qv).
- Dated actress 'Alicia Silverstone' (qv).
- Former roommate of Writer/Director/Producer 'Judd Apatow' (qv) during his time on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- (June 2002) Announced engagement to longtime girlfriend, model/actress 'Jackie Sandler (I)' (qv).
- Resides in New York City and Los Angeles.
- His production company, Happy Madison, is named after two of his films, _Happy Gilmore (1996)_ (qv) and _Billy Madison (1995)_ (qv).