TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Unforgotten Season 3
appara2
expert
Unforgotten Season 3

This season begins with bones found alongside the freeway. After narrowing down the age of the bones from thousands to no more than 50years ago, the process of identifying them begins.

I enjoy watching Cassie and Sunny doing the legwork to get their answers! It comes down to a compound fracture, repaired with a plate that has an unknown manufacturers symbol instead of a number.

We also meet our suspects:
- Homeless man, income from selling his artwork, living in a van with a very cute pup!
- TV show host, family problems, most notably with his runaway son
- Doctor, mysterious allegations making him persona non grata in his professional community, and not particularly charming from what I saw
- Travelling salesman, giving himself peptalks that don't seem to be helping, a wife that is sick of waiting for his big score

I also noticed that everybody has somebody...except Cassie

2 months ago
Comments
deedee713
guru

Good point, Brit, on the misdirection. Funny part is, I read ahead and read the article where the writers pointed out this series was unlike the others, that the audience was going to be surprised. Well, I knew this and was STILL surprised. I couldn't tell what I was seeing, though, that was my problem.

Another good point on the second wife of the monster. I knew he was a narcissist - in fact, I thought they were in a club of narcissists - and that his first wife had the temerity not to enable him, as did his second wife and the one daughter. She stood up for herself, hence the beatings, and unfortunately didn't get a lawyer in an attempt to get the rest of her money.

Obviously someone was familiar with enablers, because her refusal to speak out against the monster, even in the face of the truth from his daughters, was spot on. Kudos to the daughter who survived her toxic upbringing to disregard the lies about her mother and to have gone to her for the truth.

These series, especially this one, are so different from other police procedurals and mysteries, in the enormity of broken people and broken families. The crime, as pointed out, is secondary. The writing and acting of the leads and the ensemble make it not only bearable, for me, but mesmerizing.

I was worried that when Cassie was saying 'no more' she was going back to her car for a gun to shoot that sum'bitch!

If only, appara.

6 weeks ago

What really stood out to me in the finale was Nicola's performance... it was stunning. Watching her breakdown in such a human way, it was piece by piece through the investigation, but the subtlety that she gave to the performance when she was interrogating Finch was one of the best I have ever seen. Wiping the tear from the corner of her eye, which kept coming, as Finch recounted what he did,...she was trying so hard to hold the tears from flooding; working to remain professional, to get him to tell what he had done, under great personal distress. It was so real, so well done that I felt everything she was feeling as she sat there struggling to hold it together. She blew me away.

We had seen her tears get caught in her throat as she talked to her team earlier about the crimes and what they had done to the families involved. These crimes are psychologically so difficult to deal with and not to take personally. We rarely get a chance to see investigators in our mystery stories bear the human toll of the evil they have to absorb and process as she did in this investigation. Most times they remain stoic and removed, they have to, to survive, yet there must come a time, a case, where it grounds them down and eats at their core.

6 weeks ago

Sunjeev equally stands alongside of Nicola, they work off of each other in a way we don't often see, it is a seamless, unspoken understanding that surpasses even the best that has come before. How Sunny stayed back, not wanting to overstep Cassie until he sensed the moment she needed him and continued on with the questioning/interrogation as if they were one mind was extraordinarily well done. These two have become my favorite duo of all time exceeding even Vera & Joe and Morse & Lewis, which is saying a lot. There is real affection and respect between the two and they have a knowledge of each other that one does not often experience in life. I hope we have the pleasure of watching many more seasons of these two. At this point we know we have at least one more, and I am so looking forward to it.

6 weeks ago

These series, especially this one, are so different from other police procedurals and mysteries, in the enormity of broken people and broken families. The crime, as pointed out, is secondary. The writing and acting of the leads and the ensemble make it not only bearable, for me, but mesmerizing.

Deedee, I just read this as well as Appara2's last comment after my last post. You were both writing while I was. Yes, this is exactly how I feel.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Yes, yes, and yes, Brit, to your posts on Nicola and Sunjeev. We were all feeling with them and for them at the same time. They are THAT good at their craft, that they can do this to three disparate people with three different backgrounds. Amazing, ain't it? Then again, I guess the actor who played Finch was also good, since appara and I both wanted to inflict bodily harm on him.

Amazing show. And yet, I didn't see any BAFTA awards for any of these talented folk, did you all?

Yes, Brit, as much as Morse saving Lewis from the woods still resonates with me to this day, the hug that Sunny gave Cassie brought me to tears. Did you notice it was a full on hug, all the way around the shoulders? Beautiful.

These are the times I relish this board.......and us. Thank you all.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

Why thank you appara2 and Brit .. I'll take that bow and promotion to lead detective . I owe it all to a lot of Hercule Poirot and Inspector Morse watching. LOL This has been an excellent series but something that dee said has stuck with me. Dee mentioned that cuts may have been made.This was made in regards to Hayley's father. It was a remark made by the mother about the father at Hayley's grave site that just didn't make any sense. appara2 , the 3 of us came here from the old PBS board where I can remember we had lengthy , in depth discussions about PBS cutting scenes where dialogue further along in the story flow doesn't make any sense . The grave site comment of Hayley's mother regarding the father reminds me of this. I don't want to spoil the warm after glow we all have after watching this excellent season of Unforgotten . I still have that last ep. on DVR and will watch again before I let it go.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Forgot to add my kudos, soler. Well done!

Oh, I do give you credit for being able to watch the last episode again - if I had to watch that smirk one more time.

6 weeks ago
appara2
expert

Remember when we watched Ordeal by Innocence soler? It was a 3 part series which was spread over 4 weeks when it aired here. MInd you, it was on CBS and sprinkled with commercials. I too am pretty sure that if we could get a copy of Unforgotten from across the pond there would likely be a fair amount of new-to-us content!

Speaking of Ordeal, horrible 'wheelchair Philip' is the lead in A Discovery of Witches, and I am quite liking him in this setting!

The full on hug melted my heart! Those two have the best chemistry, to come across as great friends and support for each other without having it step over the bounds into the 'will they or won't they' terrirtory. It is always refreshing to me when they can put two leads together and let them show mutual respect and love without crossing that line.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

The full on hug melted my heart!

So glad to read!

So true, appara. As Brit pointed out, Vera and Morse/Lewis have accomplished close partnerships, but none have touched me as much as Cassie and Sunny.

6 weeks ago

I wanted to mention Sunny's situation with his ex- wife and his children. I don't know if any of you felt the same way, but when he was asking his girls what they thought about him and his ex getting back together and left the decision up to them, I was yelling at the TV (in my head) noooo, don't do that!!!! It could have been such a mistake, to think of that lovely man having to stay in a relationship that did not bring him joy to please his children would make my heart break for him. To my surprise, as I underestimated their maturity, his girls made his needs and emotional well being a priority. All children want their parents to be together and live as one family... so understandable, but to see them respond as they did, acknowledging that their father being happy made everyone's relationship and family life better, was a wonderful moment. So happy the writer went in that direction for the character. Only a truly loving parent can raise truly loving children, and we saw that about him and them.

5 weeks ago
appara2
expert

Yes Brit, that could have gone so horribly wrong! Every child, deep down, wants their family to be together, under the same roof, no matter if the relationship is toxic. Even some adult children have a hard time rooting for their parent to be happy with a new person! And really, even though she walked out on the kids and Sunny, she wasn't a 'bad' parent.
That said, I think those kids are wise beyond their years. They gave up their vision of a perfect family for one that, in the long term (I'm hoping!), will make them all happy!

I am still a bit worried that Cassie might be the forgetful one. They really didn't put that part of the story to bed either. All we know at this point is that 30 years of police work has taken a toll...

5 weeks ago

All we know at this point is that 30 years of police work has taken a toll...

Yes, Appara2, we are going to have a lot of ground to cover in the new season with Cassie as they left so much of her life opened at the end. At least we know she did find love! I hope that Alastair Mackenzie comes back as her (then) long-term significant other. It would be interesting to see Cassie navigate life with someone romantically significant (to her) by her side. I expect that dear old dad will have moved out by then and marry the twinkie, which may or may not provide fodder for ongoing gabble by this group. It could go either way there, they could let the two of them ride off in the sunset (preferably to Spain) or Cassie will find herself negotiating through the pair with "the twink" calling the shots. If John (Alastair) is by her side, she will have support and her relationship with her dad, though still greatly important, will not take up all the oxygen in her life. Looking forward to the next chapter!

5 weeks ago
appara2
expert

Off Topic: VERA (UK)

I started in on my first episode of Vera (s08) the other night, and was really on the fence whether to continue or not!! That shapeless old coat billowing out behind her, the frumpy brown hat crammed on her head, and that sarcastic attitude! OhMy! In the back of my mind I was like, what are you people seeing that I wasn't?? One more Love or Pet and I'm outta here!

She does grow on you though, doesn't she? It's a good thing that Aiden likes her cause she sure isn't very up on the tech side...flip phone, seriously? She is indeed 'old school' LOL

I have to google locations to get a reference on distance for the murder scenes, and the lingo... I found that an Abattoir is a slaughterhouse/crematorium.

And speaking of....
Locations are amazing! I found myself rewinding at some points just to view the background. It seemed that in the first episode there were many shades of grey with fog and cloud cover over the water. But then she would hop in the jeep and we are treated to a never ending view of shades of green with a long distance view of a road winding through it.

I also didn't realize that each episode is a stand alone. I had it in my head that it was a 4 episode run to solving the murder. But I'm still glad that I am marathoning them, as the more of Vera I see the more I pick up on her facial expressions and little quirks, and I am finding that I quite appreciate this little powerhouse of a detective!

4 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Hah! Glad you are coming around with Vera, appara. We who love her, love her. Especially the sloppy, grumpy, brilliant, un-PC Vera of the first few series/seasons, whatever it is!

Her 'loves' & 'pets' are clever disarming mechanisms to make even the most hardened criminal fess up, and seemingly genuine affection for those she likes. She never dissolves to the side of the victim as our Cassie did, but her love for her team (wait, keep watching) and disdain for the criminals is palpable.

We who love Vera love the gloomy locations, & I love Vera's house (although I would like it on water) and its crowded memories of angst from her father, who loved his dead animals more than he loved her, it seemed. Keep watching for one dead animal in particular.

We who love Vera love her love of drink in the beginning episodes & her utter & complete REAL ness.

We who love Vera HATE (okay maybe just me) when they did a Fat Andy on her office & on her. Keep watching for her PC office with one from each category. She swore off the booze for awhile, & they gave her a new raincoat, although it was the same as the old raincoat!

Happily, they ditched the PC office and got back to basics. I was upset at certain changes - keep watching - but all has worked out in the end.

We who love Vera are looking forward to the new series/season, whatever!

I hope, appara, that you come to love Vera too! I wasn't as emotionally fraught as with Unforgotten, but it's a darned good mystery, in the line of Fat Andy, imo.

4 weeks ago

Wow Deedee, brilliantly put!! Appara, I would imagine that you don't know who Deedee is referring to with the Fat Andy nickname unless you are a Dalziel and Pascoe fan... she is talking about Det. Supt, Andy Dalziel played by the wonderful Warren Clarke (bless him) for which the role was iconic. I have noticed in this last season that Vera is back to having her drink of Whiskey again. It did stop there for awhile, but they seem to have reconsidered their whitewash of the character and gave the cher back some of her depth. It feels like a new team took over, but I think I did an analysis of this a while back, and that wasn't so in terms of writing. Production wise though, there was someone that pulled the series back from going over the edge and brought back the characteristics that made her so lovable to her fans. Saucy as ever, sharp tongued at times, she disarms (that was such a good point, Dee) criminals with a smile.

I think it may have been better if Appara2 had started at the beginning with the Joe years, it would have better defined the character and those first two seasons were extraordinarily good. Those are the ones that I will re-watch time again.

4 weeks ago
appara2
expert

In S08 there is no real background story, on anyone. No signs of a family life, other than Aiden was a little late to the site 'cause he had to drop 'the little one' off.
I took it that Vera was single as she seems to be immersed, or perhaps consumed? by her work. Reaslism? She does seem to enjoy her food, she had no problem walking away from an informant/suspect, but she had both halves of her sandwich in each hand as she walked away! LOL

For now, Vera has disappeared from the schedule, but I have the series set as a fave so I will get an alert if she should appear again.

4 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

appara, I don't get notices and a discussion on Vera has arisen on General Discussion, so my apology for not checking in here. Season 9 of Vera is showing on our PBS, NJTV, and it is a cracklingly good show again. The ensemble is top notch, with no distracting characters. Or as Brit brilliantly pointed out about a recently discarded, happily, character: she sucked the air out of the room. You'll see what we mean when you get to her.

Sorry, Dalziel and Pascoe was a favorite of mine, and I assume (you know what happens when you assume) that everyone knows and loves Fat Andy. The old unvarnished Fat Andy. Vera isn't back to her unvarnished self, but she is a good 'un right now.

You're right, if you pick up in the middle, they don't explain how Aiden came to be and what happened to Joe. I don't even think we all know, except that so many UK actors (e.g., Matthew in D/A, now acting in the U.S. with a horrid American accent) bail on their shows for greener pastures and no one seems to stop them, wonderful though they be and vital to their shows.

Yes, Vera's life is her work, there is backstory with her dysfunctional father and her desolate house - oh Brit, did you catch the cabin by the water in S9,E2? I want it - and yes, the realism of her TAKING her sandwich warmed my heart. I HATE when characters throw away their food.

As Brit recommends, I highly suggest you start at the beginning if you can. Meanwhile, can you join us on General Discussion? I miss you.

11 days ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.