TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Doc Martin
Doc Martin

The Doc is back...Series 6 is coming to local PBS stations this February.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/arts/television/the-british-series-doc-martin-takes-off-in-us.html?_r=3

5 years ago
Comments
alastair
expert

Brit, I agree with you about Victoria and Poldark. Will we add Doc Martin as well. Personally, it's not compelling anymore. The magic is gone!

3 months ago
soler
expert

It seems alastair that every show has its run. I remember the first season of the Doc. it was so different , so fun to watch , and the Doc was so outrageous you could hardly wait for the next ep.

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Soler, you hit the nail on the head!

3 months ago

Alastair, I also liked the first few episodes of S8, I am now watching the remainder of the series and I am less than enthused. To be honest, I am not all that interested to carry on. I find it really appalling the way Martin treats the dogs in the stories. And, the fact that Louisa accepts his mistreatment without raising an eyebrow is further upsetting. At least if she reprimanded him to balance his inappropriate and rather cruel comments and behaviour we can view it as a learning experience for him which would put a better spin on the message.

As a rescue mother of two pet children I find myself cringing as I watch. It is never acceptable, even in a comedy series, to suggest that putting down a healthy dog because it is a nuisance to you is an option. Martin said this not once, but twice, in the episode.

I know he is an animal lover in his real life and would never condone such a thing, but why even put that out there in jest. Who writes this stuff and thinks this is humourous. This is the best the writers can do?

Next we are moving on to James and his biting phase. Really? It has become obvious that they are sliding by on past laurels.

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, apparently the writers didn't learn their lesson from last season. A lot of animal and dog lovers were turned off by this storyline, but to no avail. I'm sure Clunes and Braithwaite have some say in the matter, but nothing has changed. Sad..

It appears we are slightly ahead of you. On the lighter side, watch for Robert Ferrars (Lumsden) playing Mel's husband in Ep 7, in a different kind of role. He has a 'brewery' health problem - funny!

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Well, I have to say the finale was quite good - the Doc facing his most challenging crisis to date. Not to give anything away, it was bound to happen eventually, caused this time by a patient from hell, a nightmare for Martin!

Also, good to see Sigourney Weaver again, this time with a meatier role, with more screen time..

3 months ago

Alastair, did you hear this??!!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019-03-19/doc-martin-next-series/

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I figured. They're not stupid, with such a huge fanbase!

3 months ago

At least they are finally being honest with their audience, Alastair. The round robin of "this is probably the last season.... we don't know if the series will be picked up for another season after this", was growing old. As you say, with the huge fanbase why would they not go on. Acorn TV, which is their main distribution vehicle here in the states, certainly is going to continue to back them, it is their most successful venture to date - every new season the fans clamor to Acorn to view and then Acorn sells the viewing rights to PBS after their exclusive.

Doc Martin is everyones' golden egg.

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Amen to that!

Also wanted to thank you and Deedee for recommending Manhunt, with Martin Clunes. Will keep a lookout!

Good to hear Raisin has been renewed for a 3rd season as well..

3 months ago

You will like Clunes in "Manhunt" Alastair, it is a very impressive performance. After its' exclusive run on Acorn TV, I wouldn't be surprised to see the local PBS channels picking it up ... it has excellent reviews, people love Clunes - it would be a hit for PBS. If Acorn is willing to franchise "Doc Martin", why not "Manhunt". The exclusive will most likely run until the end of this year. Look for it early next year.

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Thought it might be fun for another trivia question. OK, here goes:

We all know the Doc has certain idiosyncrasies and personality traits. Of course he has no trouble remembering the names of medications and diagnoses, no matter how rare and difficult to pronounce. However, what simple thing does he have trouble with? Louisa often has to correct him..

2 months ago

Oh gee, Alastair I have to think about this! My first thought was people's names, but I don't think that is correct. Let me gnaw on it a bit.

2 months ago
alastair
expert

Correct answer, Brit! From the names of patients to people in the village, he gets it wrong! Cracks me up!
(he's not good with anniversaries either). Louisa's reactions are priceless!)

2 months ago
alastair
expert

Very good! Here's another:

Whenever Martin feels awkward, or finds himself in an uncomfortable situation, what audible sound does he make? He's been doing it from the beginning..

2 months ago
alastair
expert

His voice tightens and always clears his throat. Another one of those quirks he has..

2 months ago

I was thinking that, but was second guessing myself, Alastair!

2 months ago
alastair
expert

Yes, after you have seen the episodes as much as I have, you get to know each character inside and out.
Of course, don't get me started on Penhale. Even Ruth had a short session (on his request). In the end, I think she wished she hadn't..

2 months ago
alastair
expert

Speaking of Penhale, don't you think Monty from 800 words, reminds you of him. Very annoying and never has a clue! Can't quite picture him getting together with Ike's mum (whom he has a crush). Seems to me she has her sights set on George anyway! ..but Katy may beat her to the punch..
I'm up to the episode of Woody's and Tracy's wedding..

6 weeks ago

Alastair, unlike Penhale, who seems to get worst as the series progresses, Monty's character grows and we see another side to him over time. This is where I think Doc Martin goes wrong, they (the writers/producer pander to the lowest denominator in all the characters because that is what they think the audience wants. I don't believe that to be true, I would like to see some positive growth in at least some of them... other than Al, no one (Ruth being the exception because she has remained "the adult in the room" for her entire tenure with the franchise) has grown an inch. I feel that both Martin and Louisa are taking steps back instead of forward. And, Bert can't seem to get it together for the life of him. He was making some strides there for awhile and then poof it was all gone. It becomes disappointing to watch. ..……….. Keep your eyes on that Katy, Alastair!

6 weeks ago

You will never guess what I am watching, okay, I'll tell you! The original A&E Pride and Prejudice! My local PBS has been airing it, just as it was done when it was first shown on A&E in six parts. Basically as the original video recordings were done. This is my favorite way to watch it. Oh, does it bring back such wonderful memories!! It has been quite awhile since I last saw it, which was with my Mom... we stayed up most of the night to watch the whole thing and had omelets and toast at 3:00 AM, having a little party for ourselves. I have been relishing each episode.... I just finished Part 4.

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, you're so right! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the problem appears to be with character development. Unlike 800 Words, there's little growth and change for the better. I thought by now Martin would have shown more progress - unfortunately, he continues to be unlikable. The Doc is still, well, the Doc..

Yes, Katy has always been my favorite of the women of Weld. I like Poppy too. Lindsay has good reason to feel threatened. It's time for Arlo to wake up and make the right choice, like his dad..

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

That's great! I love, love A&E's Pride and Prejudice. Another good example of growth and character development! Deserves to be considered a Masterpiece..

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, after reading your post, I had to dust off my dvd and start watching it again. Its P&P that compelled me to join the A&E Forum. Brings back fond memories:)

6 weeks ago

Alastair, after watching the original A&E production, I decided to watch the 2005 movie version. I saw it once and thought I would give it another go as I was wrapped in a "Pride & Prejudice" bubble and had not quite gotten enough. It has a stellar cast, I will give it that, but I was not impressed the first time I watched and my opinion did not improve on my re-watch. It just does not come close to the A&E production... not in the quality of performances, the storyline itself, the beauty of it, nothing. There is not one performance that stands out and stays with you as all the performances do with the TV version. They are etched in my mind... iconic and never to be bettered. That is "the one", they did not need to bother with the movie! It was nothing more than a vehicle to put Keira Knightley back on the big screen and bring in the cash. I didn't even care for Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Bennet... and that says a lot as I love the woman!

5 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I agree with you about the film version with Keira Knightley. It's ok, I guess, if you haven't seen the 1995 TV version - no comparison, though!
The mni-series production just blended together - excellent all around! Even the unpredictable English weather co-operated during filming :)

4 weeks ago

Alastair, where are you in this season of "Death in Paradise"? I have watched it in its' entirety and was surprised by all the changes in cast. The stories have been strong... Inspector Mooney has been on his toes, he really has come full circle and Ruby is doing great, she is a good addition to the cast. Not so sure about some upcoming personnel changes though. I won't say more until I know you have finished it.

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, they are starting the repeat cycle of season 8, so I finally saw the first episode that I originally missed, which was excellent (the bus stabbing). Mooney has such a brilliant mind! As for the cast, I like Ruby too (as you.say), also JP, and the commissioner. Florence is ok, but still prefer the other detective who left for Paris..

3 weeks ago
alastair
expert

In that episode, I liked Mooney's story about his uncle in Ireland, who was a postman. "Letters are a window to the soul. If you want to know who someone really is, ask them to write you a letter!"
So true! Certainly Jane Austen knew their importance in her novels, esp. P&P..

3 weeks ago
flabby92

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

2 weeks ago
flabby92

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

13 days ago
alastair
expert

Oops, well, so much for Poppy. I guess initial impressions can be deceiving..
As for Shay, she just doesn't get it (concerning Katy).
Onward and upward..

14 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.