TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Doc Martin
Doc Martin

The Doc is back...Series 6 is coming to local PBS stations this February.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/arts/television/the-british-series-doc-martin-takes-off-in-us.html?_r=3

6 years ago
Comments

Alastair, I watched E6 and it was a solid episode, I really enjoyed it. This season has been such an improvement over the last two! The next episode is written by the author of E3, so I am going in not expecting too much. We will see. I am looking forward to the finale though.

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, that's good news indeed. I've only seen the first four episodes (disc one) of the new season so far. No surprise about S10. As long as they keep the quality up!
S3 reruns are good, until Penhale is introduced. I just try to overlook his scenes :(

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed Persuasion. Yes, it was the 1995 version (was a very good year for Austen adaptations!)
Will give my thoughts and impressions next..

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Well, I agree Amanda Root was perfect casting (they all were). I loved watching her transformation from unhappy, lonely sister to seeing her light up at the end. Her expression said it all! So glad she could see thru Mr. Elliot's charm and flattery (another Wickham, no less). I felt she was very wise and mature for her age. Austen is so good with human behavior in her characters. Anne's father and her sister Elizabeth were just plain annoying.and spoiled. Felt sorry for Mary, but liked the Musgroves. Silly sister in laws, tho. (been down this road before). I felt the story exemplified Austen's slow development of love. Wasn't slick as S&S, but actually liked this better. Seeing Wentworth and Anne together at last was the ultimate ending!
Oh, did you recognize Admiral Croft as Doc Martin's father? Excellent cast !!

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Also, favorite scene was watching Anne read Captain Wentworth's letter and her reaction!
Later, during the proposal announcement, that's all her father could say was "why"?

6 months ago

That is mine as well, Alastair! And, then their meeting on the street where she accepts his proposal... Two of the most romantic scenes of all time. I was going to mention to you that this production wasn't as slick as S&S, I thought you might think less of it because of that and then I thought, this is Alastair, if anyone will understand the beauty through its' subtlety, he will. The production makes more impact because of it. The actors understood this, Ciaran Hinds also gave a performance that was perfection. As you say, the casting overall was spot on. This, and P&P (yes, '95 was a good year for Austen adaptions) are iconic in the world of Austen. There is no improvement on either.

I also was glad the Austen gave Anne the wise and thoughtful characteristics that gave her the ability to see pass Mr. Elliot's charm and flattery. She quickly came to understand what his motives truly were and stayed true to her love of Wentworth.

Oh, to see her sister Elizabeth's face when she realizes that it is Anne, not she, that is the center of Mr. Elliot's and Wentworth's attention. That was one of the best moments!

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Yes, then telling Anne not to monopolize Wentworth at the gathering. Elizabeth didn't have a clue what was coming!
Indeed, moments of great satisfaction!

If you have a chance, catch a young Corin Redgrave in 'A Man For All Seasons' as More's daughter's lover. What a talented acting family!

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Oops, rather Susannah Yorks love interest and fiance. What a cast in that film, too, including a young John Hurt!

Wanted to ask you, what was your feeling toward Mrs. Clay? Was she a close family friend? Apparently she and Mr. Elliot had something going on, near the end. Anne saw them conversing together, through the upstairs window...

6 months ago

I will look for that, Alastair. It may pop up on one of my streaming services or Tubi may have it, they do offer many older films.

I see Mrs. Clay as an opportunist. If I remember correctly, she is the parson's/local vicar's daughter isn't she? She becomes a companion for Elizabeth, Anne's sister and quickly ingratiates herself with Sir Walter Elliot trying to catch his eye. Lady Russell is concerned about this as she says something to Anne regarding it. Elizabeth prefers her company to Anne's and takes her along with the family to Bath when they moved from their estate.

Mrs. Clay, realizing she has an "in" with an aristocratic family, tries to take advantage of this to move up the social ladder. I never felt that Sir Walter would seriously consider marrying her - he was too socially conscious, I can't imagine he would marry a parson's daughter, no matter how much she caught his eye.

Her relationship to the younger Mr. Elliot is hazy, it seems though that the young Mr. Elliot wanted to hedge his bets and courted both Anne and Mrs. Clay at the same time. If Mrs. Clay had married Sir Walter there might have been another heir, given her young age, and that would have been disastrous for him as he was next in line to inherit.

He lost Anne to Captain Wentworth, but was able to keep Mrs. Clay as his mistress, which kept her away from Sir Walter. Mrs. Clay is also hedging her situation it seems. I think it became apparent that Sir Walter was not going to marry her, so being the young Mr. Elliot's mistress (who would eventually gain the Elliot title and property) was more attractive to her than going back to her life in the village as the widowed parson's daughter.

6 months ago
alastair
expert

Thanks for the info, Brit. Well, that's all I can say is they deserve each other, both being opportunists..

By the way, I watched the final episode of Jack as lead detective in Death in Paradise. I will miss him! One of the best of the series, with heart..

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I saw the first episode with the new guy last night. Not sure what to think. He has a brilliant detective mind, but not sure if he's going to adjust to tropical life. Funny, but too eccentric perhaps? Much prefer Chris Marshall!

5 months ago

Alastair, I saw him as a combination of Ben Miller, who also had a tough time adjusting to tropical life, and Kris Marshall with his quirkiness. We need to give the new, "new guy" some time to settle in. I did not care for Kris Marshall when he first arrived and overtime he became my favorite, I loved him in the role.

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Yes!

5 months ago

Alastair, I finished the third episode of Death in Paradise with Ralf Little and his continual ailments due to the climate is wearing thin. They need to move on from this as it is getting old now.

5 months ago
alastair
expert

I agree!
Do you think his role was only temporary? How about the Sergeant as chief detective?

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Wasn't JP interested in a promotion, but the Commissioner wasn't sure. I think he would make a good Sergeant! Ruby is doing good, learning from her mistakes..

5 months ago

JP has really grown as a character and he is a solid policeman, even taking Ruby under his wing. I think he would make a very good detective and should have been given the role that Florence and Camille had. They could have brought on another new policeperson to join Ruby. Ruby has been such a good addition to the team, she is perfect to fill the gap that was left when Dwayne moved on. I very much like the relationship she and JP have.

They want a well known English actor as the lead detective in the series, so it is doubtful if anyone else will get that role. The situation with Ralf Little needs to be reconciled, either he adjusts or he should go. He is a very bright detective, brilliant even, but the constant allergy, rash, breathing and itching issues distract from the story.

You might be correct that this is a temporary role for him. I didn't think of that, but with the way things are going he does not have long (as a character) to turn things around. We could find ourselves with another new Chief Detective in the next season.

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I concur! From the preview of next week's show, it appears he's anxious to finish with his duties and move on...but you never know what the writers have in mind. Can't wait to see what happens!

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Well, I won't say too much, other than he didn't scratch his head once, thank goodness! Also, JP takes his Sergeant's exam..

5 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I just read that that Amazon Prime UK is interested in salvaging Sanditon for a second season, allowing fans new hope for giving the series a proper ending it deserves. Apparently they've come to the rescue for other popular shows in the past.
Fingers crossed..

4 months ago
alastair
expert

There's also a rumor that Dwayne might be returning to Death in Paradise..

(Good to have my avatar back! Had to log in and out several times for that to happen. Onward and upward..)

4 months ago

There's also a rumor that Dwayne might be returning to Death in Paradise..

No, really! That would be a good thing, even if he only visits for a time. I missed the last episode with Ralf Little so I have to wait for it to be re-aired again. I re-watched his first episode last night so it will be a few more weeks before it comes around again.

Lucy Worsley is back on PBS with her series Royal Myths & Secrets. I hate to say this because she is a grown woman and I should be able to find a better way of describing her, but she is so damned adorable! How can a person be born with such charisma - it is rare and a blessing (at least in her case) that is for sure.

4 months ago
alastair
expert

I totally agree with you about Lucy Worsley. She is awesome! They still show repeats of Secrets from time to time here. Worsley is personality plus!

Are they still broadcasting the old episodes of the Doc where you are? They're well into S4 here, when Louisa is pregnant and Edith is trying to stoke the flames..

4 months ago

They were Alastair, but for some reason it stopped, at least for the time being. I don't know how far they got... I don't think they finished the previous seasons. No word about S9 as yet, not even a hint. We both know that PBS shouts the new season from the rooftops starting at least a month before it airs. Something tells me S9 won't be shown until the Fall (at the earliest) by me.

4 months ago
alastair
expert

I think so too..

4 months ago

Guess what, the old Doc was back on last night on my local PBS. As I said, they put it on hiatus for a while, and they did that quite early on because they are still in the middle of S3.There is a long way to go before they complete the series in anticipation for the new season.

4 months ago
alastair
expert

Good news! I think my favorite episode of S3 is when actress Lucy Robinson appears as old chum of Louisa. Both Clunes and Catz shine as actors, well written too..

4 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, speaking of Andrew Davies earlier, I've been rewatching one of my all time favorite classic Masterpiece Theater series, To Serve Them All My Days, on Acorn. As with Upstairs Downstairs, it just draws you in and you forget you're watching actors. You feel you're eavesdropping on real people and their lives. Highly recommend!

3 months ago
loyalty77

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Also, several years ago I spiced together my original Betamax recording of Alistair Cook's introduction and commentary from the early 80s of TSTAMD, to the updated Acorn recording. The result was amazing...like turning back the clock. It gives an added perspective to the program. Cook was always awesome!
Anyway, Brit, if your interested, I could forward you a copy to view and discuss? Just let me know..

3 months ago

I would love that, Alastair!!!

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Wonderful! Just send me a private message or email the address..

3 months ago

Alastair, sending you a private message.

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Thanks, Brit!

I just saw that Florence will be returning in S10 of Death in Paradise, but sorry to hear Ruby is leaving, along with the current DS. I remember you once said Florence was a favorite..

3 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, are they still showing reruns of the Doc where you are? We're mid way through S5 now, and a few nights ago they showed the episode where an old flame of Eleanor, Louisa's mum, took her on a fish and chip date. Of course, she was only using him as a potential supplier for her bar in Spain. Anyway, he has some health problems and nearly drowns. Martin restarts his heart and saves his life. What I'm getting to is the actor was none other than John Duttine, yes Powlette-Jones! Didn't recognize him until seeing his name in the closing credits..

7 weeks ago
alastair
expert

It was the episode when Julie Graham first appears as Penhale's ex-wife..

7 weeks ago

I think I can get that episode on Acorn TV, Alastair. I am going to put it on the list for a re-watch!

7 weeks ago

Yes, all the episodes are available on Acorn!

7 weeks ago
alastair
expert

That's great!

7 weeks ago

Alastair, If my life depended on it I would never (never) have guessed that was John Duttine. Oh my goodness, mother time does takes its' toll. What a good episode this was, the storyline with Penhale and his ex Maggie (Julie Graham) helps to make him a bit more human. You know he is my least favorite character. And, Louise Jameson of Bergerac fame, once again on the screen. Eileen Atkins looks so spry... this was aired back in 2011, so produced more than likely the year before. That is ten years ago, it kind of takes you by surprise seeing everyone looking so much younger.

7 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, just saw your post. Yes, he was totally unrecognizable. I'm usually pretty good at thinking where have I seen this actor before, but not this time. I agree, these two episodes with Penhale were his best, with Graham. I only wish the writers made his character more likable in general, similar to Mark's. Oh well..

Thumbs up to all the cast!

6 weeks ago

It would have been nice if they drew the story out over of the course of the season and let Penhale and Maggie have more time together, she brought out the best in Penhale and they really were good together, they had chemistry on screen. The screen lit up everytime Julie Graham walked on. Another missed opportunity to bring something heartfelt to the series rather than Penhale's usual nonsense.

No, what do they do, get him involved with that crazy woman, can't think of her name now. Am I the only one who sees the potential that this series has? They have the writers on autopilot churning out the same situations over and over just in a slightly different form.

I vote for bringing Maggie back again next season (if they can get JG to come) and let's do it right, we are nearing the end of the series, be it the next season or one one after, so let's go out on a high note.

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Yes, yes, and yes!
Amen!

I believe her name was Janice. Poor Penhale was so lonely at that point. Terrible matchup! Strictly infatuation on his part. Absolutely, bring back Julie Graham!

6 weeks ago

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5922/doc-martin-to-end/

Well, it is final Alastair, the next season is also the last. I wish I could send TPTB some suggestions for stories to close out the series as I have little faith that they won't botch it in some way. This last season should be filled with creativity, love and hope... do you think they can rise to the occasion? Na, why make the effort, back to autopilot, it will still sell to the US public ($$) and Clunes can move on.

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

6 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Yes, fingers crossed!

6 weeks ago

We can only hope, Alastair!

6 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.