TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

Well, we can't say we haven't had something to talk about, even with some disappointment in the series we have had a lively discussion. I am looking forward to "Endeavour", this is the last series that PBS airs that ties us (and it) to its' illustrious past and I have come to enjoy it more as the seasons have progressed. P.S. Happy Birthday

"Grantchester" is coming up next and I will be watching. I was glad to see the back of James Norton as Sidney, we will see where Tom Brittney takes us with Will Davenport. You all know I can take or leave the series - the real reason I am going to watch is for Robson Green. Sigh.

On to "Baptiste" … Yes, I did see the change in demeanor in Niels when he was visiting the crypt. For the life of me I could not think of the word when I was writing my comment, hence, I called it a memorial which was incorrect, but the closest thing I could think of at the time. It was solid acting that he was able to convey that. Was the change attempting to make us think he felt sorry for killing his Mom? I would guess so, but by that time we, the audience could care less about him. Too little too late. This is a man that had no conscious about trafficking young girls, none... he even tried to explain it away like it was of no consequence. A person that could do that and have no regret deserves nothing in life, not a moment of our time.

If they bring him back again in the second series I would be shocked. The irony is that we have Baptiste who spends his life finding the lost and stolen in this world and his own flesh and blood is a person that actively participates in these crimes. To have to look that in the face as Baptiste really is a horror. They did not emphasize that enough in his reaction to Niels in the finale, I feel.

7 weeks ago

The money... Baptiste found it and bought the yacht with it to corner Constantin in to giving him the information he wanted about the Romanian mob and Cristina, as well as, buying some insurance that Constantin would not go after him and his family. Constantin would have been a dead man if they found out about the yacht since Baptiste put it in his name - it would have looked like Constantin had stolen it from the Brigada. In the end, they thought he had misappropriated it (without Baptiste's help) and they killed him anyway.

He was Niels contact, it is surprising that they did not go after Niels at that point as well. I am guessing that since he was a cop they did not want to draw any attention to themselves (at that point) by killing him. Once the Amsterdam operation became too much of a liability for them, they did put a bounty on his head.

Baptiste found the money through Natalie's "father-in-law". He originally had the money which she had hidden. He put it in the back of his car at some point right after he had rescued his grandchild from the hospital. You know, we have not seen hide nor hair of the father since the hospital. At the end we see the child happily playing at his grandfather's which told me he would be safe. With the Romanian mob pulled out of Amsterdam, I would imagine that the father is gone or he maybe he was arrested with all the others. They left that a loose end.

So, the grandfather had the money in the trunk and stopped at the store for provisions (or something like that) and a neighbor of his stole the money while he was in the store.

Wasn't it that he told Baptiste that it was stolen form his car, Baptiste went looking for the culprit, while in the process he found the guy that had all the cameras hidden all over the town and because of that, was able to find the man that stole the money from the grandfather (and later that Niels was part of the Brigada).

That guy was partying it up and having a good time with it until Baptiste told him where the money came from and that they (the mob) was looking for it. The man gave the money to Baptiste and his partying days were over. Remember, Baptiste had it and Edward then stole it from him and headed back to England. Baptiste eventually got it back from Edward and buys the yacht.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, Brit!

Is Endeavour coming up soon? I think what's his name will be without a mustache, so that's good. Yes, I am glad they are back together and I am looking forward to it.

They did not emphasize that enough in his reaction to Niels in the finale, I feel.

Good point, they did not. La di dah'ing with Stratton was nice, but okey doke, move on folks.

Ah, duh, the yacht! Which was a gotcha for Constantin in the end, nice touch. Good grief, no wonder I was confused, that certainly is convoluted. Good on you for having an excellent memory. Thanks.

Oh, I forgot to add before, as if that will be the end of the human trafficking and drug money, etc.

Do you recognize the woman tooling around with Baptiste? The actor looks familiar. Did you think she was going to buy it when she went into her apartment, alone?

7 weeks ago

Another foggy scene where we are left to make assumptions. Niels Brigada partner was going in to her apartment to kill her, or so we are lead to believe when he breaks in with the meat cleaver in hand. We had just gone through that scene where Niels tells him that he has to have the chutzpah (there is another word I am thinking of, but this is the more polite way of saying it) to get rid of the detective leading the investigation as they were getting too close to them. Constantin was dead and Niels did not want the investigation to go any further. The partner was very wary about killing a cop, he didn't want to do it. Another look in to Niel's dark soul.

So what are we left to believe? That Niel's mob partner got a phone call from one of his Romanian buddies telling him that Niel's now has a bounty on his head and that the Brigada is pulling there operation out of Amsterdam as he was waiting for the detective to come home so he could kill her?

Why else would he leave other than to save his own skin because to go against the Brigada chiefs and call even more attention to their operation by killing a cop would have put a bounty on his own head. This is a stretch and full of assumptions, but if he was not told to stop in the middle of all that drama.... and we know it wasn't Niel's who called him - Niel's wasn't going to worry about him, he was already going in to hiding.... than why did he?

What we do know is that the detective got a call a minute after she checks the apartment and finds the opened patio door from Michael (?), her undercover partner, telling her about Niel's and the Brigada. This was while she was standing there hyperventilating. She then calls Baptiste with the news and we have that lovely scene with he and his wife.

That is all I can think of. If anyone has another theory please share.

7 weeks ago

The actress that plays the detective Genevieve, is Jessica Raine. She has a long resume, she was in the "Partner's in Crime" reboot as Tuppance , "Wolf Hall" and "Call the Midwife"... that is where you may remember her from. She is also in "Fortitude", which is on Netflix, I think. I tried a few episodes of the series and I didn't go any further. May be I should give it another chance, but I remember that I was not impressed. When I saw Stanley Tucci walk in to the scene playing a detective I rolled my eyes and decided that was it, done. Do not like him, he is generally a total turn off for me except in "The Devil Wears Prada". It was a similar reaction as you had to Kim Catrell playing the president in S2 of "Modus", it wasn't working (for me).

Endeavour will be airing on Sunday, August 9th.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Well done, Brit. Better than the writers could have done, that's for sure. Makes sense to me!

Interesting. Another name I don't know, but have seen in all those shows. Except Fortitude.

Thanks on the Endeavour date.

7 weeks ago

Soler, I finally got to World On Fire... I had three finales all in one night (Belgravia also ended on Sunday), it was too much to watch all three and absorb, so I have been watching over this week.

The WOF ending gave us a lot of solid information, they filled in the backstory on a number of characters... it was a bit predictable, but in a good way. We now know there is going to be a S2 and the story will continue on.

When Nancy (Helen Hunt's character mentions that she has a child and later we find out that she had been raped early in her life while on assignment, I (and everyone else) was left to assume that the doctor, Webster is actually her son, although he doesn't know it. He calls her Aunt Nancy and we thought that he was a sibling's or close friend's son - that does not seem to be the case. I can certainly understand why she would keep that from him, no child wants to be burdened with that reality, it is too much for a person to carry through life. She has a similar personality to Robina in the way she deals with intimate relationships. She is capable of loving Webster which in itself is not an easy thing to do given the trauma that she endured. She has risen above this and clearly cares for his well being, but sentimental and demonstrative she is not. She is capable of empathy though, where Robina is totally missing that gene.

Robina can't help being Robina, she does not have the capacity for caring and love that people expect from each other. The thing is she is aware of it, she knows her shortcomings. She doesn't always try to overcome them, but she makes attempts to mitigate there sting. Her initial reactions to situations and people are without empathy, sympathy or consideration for them, she is devoid of emotion, and then she realizes that once again, has done the wrong thing. She calls the baby a bastard and yet brings Lois money to take care of her. She does this because she knows that Douglas and Lois will need it, but also because that is what is expected of her. As she says, she does understand what is expected of her in her role in life and that is what ultimately dictates her reactions.

Even though Harry knows his mother's shortcomings, he still manages to love her. You can see it in his eyes. I give him great credit for this. Don't get me wrong, I would not say he is devoted to her, that is a stretch too far, but many people would have written her off years ago.. they would have hightailed it out of there and not come back, but he does. That back and forth they had when he apologized to her for what he said in response to her, yet again, heartless remark, where she replied "at least it was witty" that sums up their relationship. It rides on a plane that floats above what one normally expects of a mother/son relationship.

7 weeks ago

It was also interesting that she told Lois that Harry would not be a good father for the baby. At first I thought that she said this as a cruel remark to further keep Lois away from Harry, that one last stab to make sure things were really dead between them. Then I thought that she was projecting her own shortcomings on to Harry... she was a lousy mother, so he was going to be a lousy father (the remark to Lois that she didn't know how Harry survived with her as his mother, or something to that effect, tells us she is quite aware of who she is). Upon more reflection, I think what she may have meant is that Harry is not ready for the responsibility of fatherhood. Is it her place to say this, no... Robina just verbalizing her thoughts again without a filter, but there may be more truth to this statement than not. When you think about it, yes, he cares for Kasia's brother and protects him as Kasia asked, but he has his mother actually taking care of him. I realize there are the demands of war and he must do his part to help the effort, yet I do feel he was more than a little relieved that his mother was willing to look after him.

7 weeks ago

I am going to throw this out there... at the end we see Kasia standing, looking at Harry as he is further in the distance. I don't know if anyone else thought this, but my sense is that Kasia may not continue up that hill and go to Harry, I think she may take off and leave him. She has changed, she is not the person she once was and her feelings/reaction to Harry after all she has been through is not what is was when they first hurriedly married.

I can see this going in a soap opera direction I am afraid, where Kasia leaves Harry, goes on with life on her own, at least for the foreseeable future, and Lois marries Vernon even though deep down she still loves Harry. The triangle will continue as Harry, now without Kasia, although still married to her, is conflicted about Lois and their son and attempts to stay part of their lives, much to Vernon's dismay. All the while, we see Kasia living her life (we know what is going on with her even though Harry doesn't) until once again, their paths cross as Kasia comes to get her brothers.

. They are her family, she will come back for her baby brother, she will not leave him - and in doing so, finds out that the older is alive. This causes emotional turmoil for all as Kasia has a change of heart and wants to rekindle her relationship with Harry, who (once again) is divided by his feelings for both woman (and his child).

I hope I am wrong about this and Harry and Kasia instead go off together and fight in the English resistance as a team. Underground spy's alluding all they come across in their quest to beat the Nazis! I would much prefer this, I am just not banking on it.

7 weeks ago
soler
expert

Very good analysis Brit … never put 2 and 2 together as far as Nancy and her ' nephew ' are concerned. Now, the more I think of it , the more it makes sense . Wonder if this will get played out in Season 2 . Inspite of all her hang ups I still like Robina , she is not deliberatey out to hurt anyone , her actions are not malicious .. but she has a long way to go and I will keep looking for turn arounds , small turn arounds , one step at a time. lol I do believe this will happen. Kasie looking up the hill at Harry .. what a way to end the season. ( more on that look later ) About 1 month or so ago I tried to register on Masterpiece Studio . I quickly became disalosioned when it asked for an E Mail address and ZIP code. Well, I don't have a ZIP code so I just added my E Mail and left the ZIP code square blank ( tried using my Post Code but wouldn't take it ). Thought nothing more of it until a week later I was checking my G Mail account and found a Masterpiece Newsletter entry. Started to browse and found I could not view any eps. ( no surprise here ) but I was able to view certain vids of upcoming shows , namely ' behind the scenes ' vids of Beechem House and Grantchester . Like seeing Robson Greene kidding around with new guy . AND I am able to listen to the Pod Casts ( surprised and delighted ) now to get back to Kasie and that up hill look . con't

7 weeks ago
soler
expert

Brit , I noticed you're posts are long , I looked down at mine and it was 1800 characters , got scared I'd loose something so I posted . Looks like that character limit ( 1500 ) is gone. lol .. now .. where was I . O Yes , pod casts . That last scene , Kasie's look is discussed in either Peter Bowker ( creator ) or Zofia Wichlacz's ( Kasie ) podcast . Then , there is talk of Lois entering into a loveless marriage with that British pilot. Again, not sure if it's Bowker's or Julia Brown's podcast. Probably Bowker's , as he is the creator of the series. Worth a listen if ya haven't already. More pod casts of Poldark , Sanditon and Durrell's

7 weeks ago

Thank you, Soler! I am going to make a suggestion, the next time you come across a situation where you need a zip code for PBS, put in one for an area in the US on the border of Canada. All the computer wants is a US zip code, it doesn't know where you really live, so look up the one closest to you and use it, it may make the process easier.

I am going to look for the podcasts (I'll check out both Peter Bowker's and Julia Brown's) you mentioned as I am very curious as to the interpretation of both Kasia's look and Lois' choice to marry Vernon. I am hoping Kasia doesn't run and that she and Harry move forward together. A soap opera I don't want to see.

Hoping this a good season of "Grantchester"!

7 weeks ago

Deedee, I re-watched Page Eight with Bill Nighy last night (it is on Prime). I know you tend to not like to re-watch stuff, but I am throwing this out there, give it another go. I remembered the general gist of the story, but forgot most of the nuance... it is Bill Nighy at his best! Worth the second visit. I am going to move on to the next film in the trilogy.

You will never guess what I have been watching, definitely this is a product of our quarantine as typically this is not something I would be interested in... the early Star Trek movies, the ones from the late 70's and 80". What seemed so futuristic back then is archaic by today's standards. I am getting a big kick out of them... the movies have humor and the relationship between Spock, McCoy, Scotty and Kirk is a delight. Of course we can't forget Chekov, Uhura and Mr. Sulu. I have slipped over the edge people.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Thank you, Brit. SO glad to hear this. I have given up completely and utterly with The Split, so very watchable, but SO annoying because of the commercials inserted at every single inopportune moment. It is only on Sundance On Demand on Verizon and they have the temerity to not allow fast forwarding. I gave up on MHZ because they didn't have fast forwarding.

Very much too bad, The Split season two looks quite good. I hope it comes to streaming. There is one guy who is so loathsome it is beyond belief, I hope you get to see the show. But hey, if you have the patience to sit through commercials with sound off, you can see it now!

Anyway, I LOVED The Worricker Trilogy, for obvious reasons. But beyond that, Michael Gambon is a treat, and the Turks and Caicos movie is excellent. I liked the relationship between Nighy and Helena Bonham Carter.

I happened upon Dead Still on Prime and that might be too bizarre even for me. Or not.

Isn't it interesting, soler? After all this time to find out, thanks to Brit, that we can go over the 1500 limit!

Did you like the new guy in Grantchester, Brit?

Last episode was the exit of Ardal on DIP. Sad to see him go. He had no chemistry with his new female friend, glad they didn't make that a walking off into the sunset moment. Little was good on his The Cafe, I'm sure the show will be okay with him. Odd that they can't promote JP, who is suddenly missing the wife he had.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

Yes dee …. Brit broke the barrier and proved the dreaded ' 1500 ' was a false ceiling . lol Nothing on tonight .. Happy Holiday.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, soler. The not good Billions and the final also not good Run are on PayTV tonight.

6 weeks ago

Soler, thanks for the heads-up on the podcast. I would have listened without you mentioning it. Deedee, I have been recording The Split, I haven't started to watch yet. I am saving it. I watched the Turks and Caicos movie last night. Good stuff.

I don't have a strong opinion on Will to be honest, I can take him or leave him. I did not care for James Norton in the role at all, so the change alone is a good thing from my standpoint. It is all about Robson Green for me, he is the reason I watch - without him I wouldn't bother.

I think we all feel that JP should be promoted to detective, it is time. They could have added a policeperson to the team to do the leg work with Ruby instead of bringing in a detective to fill the Camille/Florence role. They are sticking to the established formula it seems. They have allowed Catherine to grow as a character, she is now the Mayor of Saint Marie, why not let JP move up to detective.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

Brit .. dee .. don't think you're going to be able ta get this but appara will . The ABC Murders , Wednesday night on CBC. Poirot / Malkovich , from 2018 . Been on before but I'll watch again.

6 weeks ago

Soler, it is available on Prime, so I have access to it. Up to this point I have stayed away - Malkovich and Poirot as the same person is questionable at best and the fact that Sarah Phelps wrote it tells me it has a dark and sexual tone, as far from Agatha Christie's actual work as one could go. Her rendition of The Witness for the Prosecution slid me over the edge - I hated that with a passion. If you think it is worth a try, I'll give it a go.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

Saw this before Brit but I only have a mild interest in this one … will have it on PVR and will watch at some time down the road. Never really warmed up to any one playing Poirot except Suchet , I'd keep it on a back burner if I were you .

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting choice. I have never liked Malcovich. As Poirot? Hmmm, I may give him 2 minutes if it gets here.

I'll wait to see what others think.

soler, I actually liked Peter Ustinov as Poirot, but I found FInney's portrayal as oily as his hair.

Until Suchet went 'round the bend with his religious bent, and I'll forgive him this, his is the definitive one.

6 weeks ago

I do too, Deedee. Peter Ustinov's "Evil Under the Sun" is a favorite of mine. I like both his and Suchet's versions, both stellar in their own way. I am not enamoured by Finney as Poirot, but his "Murder on the Orient Express" is the best of the three movies made, imo. It is the one that is truly faithful to the original story.

6 weeks ago
appara2
guru

Hey Soler, I did watch ABC Murders (finale tonite - UK had 3 episodes, we have 4) and wouldn't mind seeing a renewal announced. Malkovitch won me over, surprisingly I enjoyed this older, wiser version.

My playlist is getting progressively longer, and here I thought this Covid lockdown would have me picking up knitting or origami as a filler for my evenings LOL

Here's a sample of what's from my UK/AU viewing list, some are old as well as some new (to me)
Agatha Raisin 2016, Bodyguard 2018, Miss Fisher Murder AU 2013, The Dr. Blake Mysteries AU 2013, Death in Paradise (Saturday for me & finally the arrival of the new DI) , Line of Duty 2012- into season 2 and Keeley Hawes looks SO different!, and lastly, starting on Sunday The Level 2016

Also enjoying some others that have been mentioned here, and some that have not :D

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

appara .. that's a pretty impressive lockdown list … gonna keep ya goin' for awhile. ABC Murders , first ep. starts tonight on CBC . Brit can access it on prime which might come in handy for other CBC shows. Gonna give it a go.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

So much for The ABC Murders … got it mixed up and only saw the last ep. last Wednesday. Did not see it before .. nothing familiar about it. Found it some what ' dark ' and not impressed with Malkovich's Poirot. appara .. White House Farm Murders will start Wednesday , June 3, on CBC . Brit , noticed that prime will carry it also , if you're interested. The run is for 6 eps. The story of this has long fascinated me.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

All three seasons of Bordertown (Finland) are on Netflix right now. Series ended last year. Good show.

Had four notes of a theme song stuck in my head. Finally came to me that it was from Unforgotten. Remember that show?

Rewatching A Place To Call Home. I barely made it the first time, due to the harridan of a mother. This time around, I find her ignorable since I know how the series ended.

Watched the last DIP episode for Ardal again today. Ralf beings this evening.

Red Joan with Dame Judi Dench looks good, right now it's on Amazon Prime if you pay $3.99. Yeah, right.

6 weeks ago

Okay Soler, I'll hold off on The ABC Murders for the time being. I will check out White House Farm Murders... you mentioned it earlier, I never thought of checking Prime. Thanks for the heads- up.

I finished The Worriker Triology, I enjoyed it even more the second time around. If you have the opportunity to watch it again, do it.

Deedee, how did that happen! Funny how something will get in your head. I found the soundtrack for the series. I couldn't remember it. I hope we get one more season of the series.

https://www.michaelpricemusic.com/articles/unforgotten-soundtrack/

6 weeks ago

Oh, I'll look at Bordertown tonight!

6 weeks ago

Soler, I looked at Prime, there is a version of the WHFM story there, but it is one episode of a true crime series from the 90's which is available through Britbox (on Prime) which I don't subscribe to. The series you are speaking of is not in the states as yet, although it probably will arrive on one of the streaming services shortly. I'll keep a look out for it.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Oh thanks Brit. What an excellent show, I'd love more. I don't think you'll be disappointed in Bordertown.

So, what did you think? Of Ralf Little, I mean. I have a few thoughts, no spoilers. You hot? TAKE OFF YOUR JACKET AND TIE. Writers? Cut out the scratching. One episode in, I'm not enamored, but I'll give him time.

Odd question - did I hear the Commissioner say there were four Inspectors before Little?

Good to see Harry, although I think the CGI guy has given him age spots on his chest.

I look forward to all your opinions.

6 weeks ago
appara2
guru

Soler, sorry you missed the series. No, this wasn't the Poirot that I have come to know over the years. Yet, once I started watching it for the story they were telling, and not as a comparison to the past, I started to enjoy (and that was well into the 1st episode) the drama, and in the end there was a satisfying twist to finish off the story.

I wonder if that was a mistake in the original broadcast date for the White House Farm? Same start date but a month later. My pvr is set to record!!

I too would love to see another run of Unforgotten! I remember reading that season 4 was greenlit, but not sure if they started production before Covid struck?

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

Yes appara .. don't know how I got ABC Murders screwed up. Better luck next time . Looking forward to ' White House Murders ' next week . Start time got messed up … also found scheduling errors on PBS curious enough. Think network scheduling has been a victim of novice people in unfamiliar job functions because of Covid . Work patterns have been all turned upside down. Enjoy the ' Bodyguard ' Keeley Hawes is so different than in her role as mama Durrell of Corfu . Unforgotten is a 10 out of 10. Season 4 you say … bring it on . lol

6 weeks ago
appara2
guru

Bodyguard had me in the first 10 minutes of the show! I'm into the 2nd episode and I'm not sure if he is a bodyguard or a potential terrorist!!

6 weeks ago

I hope this is the correct link...

I watched this last night, I was able to cast it to my TV through my Chromecast (one of my best purchases, ever). The Yellow Iris... one of Suchet's best. An absolute joy. So worth a rewatch, If you can cast it to your TV all the better.

https://youtu.be/5iPwwxraj-M

Deedee, I will be back re: Death in Paradise!

6 weeks ago

Yes it is, I checked it! For some reason, I always get an advertisement whenever I click on this site lately. This has been a new thing in the last few months. I have to click it off (x in the right hand corner), before I can access the forum. Just happened (again) when I came back in to check the link. I clicked on the link and an advertisement came up, x'ed it out, and I then I went directly to the 'Tube.

6 weeks ago
soler
expert

The Yellow Iris ... thanks for that Brit ..... now THAT was Poirot ... lol Hadn't seen that Poirot intro. sequence in quite a while now so I ran it 3 or 4 times just ta get my head full of it . lol Nothing on PBS tonight while they do their beg - a - thon . Only , set the PVR to a Linda Ronstadt ( 1980 ) concert that's on later tonight . ( PBS ) Past my bedtime. Sad to think how she ended up.

5 weeks ago
appara2
guru

I just met DI Neville Parker for the first time :D. I see what you mean about the itching and scratching. If the climate is what set his eczema off it would be holy-hell to have to live in a hot sweaty climate!
I got the impression that he was only meant to get off the plane, sign off on the death, (I don't quite get why they would need someone for that), and head back to UK? But now that he has been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis he is grounded there for the next few weeks? I guess we shall see how he feels about staying on the island after he recovers from DVT. Or how many paycheques it will take to pay back the Commissioner for the hotel bill? LOL
As long as he invests in some lightweight clothing and the health issues tone down, I think I will enjoy his stay.

5 weeks ago

now THAT was Poirot...

Yes, it is! It did my heart good watching it, Soler. I am so glad you did too. This is what ties us together, these moments on screen. I am sitting home in NJ, you in N.S. and we both are having the same reaction.

5 weeks ago

Regarding Unforgotten... this was the most recent info from PBS. As Appara says, given that TV productions have been halted due to Covid, we will have to wait for new seasons of all our favorite productions. Which makes me wonder what PBS will be airing next year. There will be very little new to show. I am thinking they might be scouring for existing British series that are not currently streamiing on a private service, and therefore new to the American/Canadian audience, to fill in the 2021 Masterpiece/Mystery season.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/looking-ahead-to-unforgotten-season-4/#

5 weeks ago

I am ahead of you all as I have seen three episodes of "Death in Paradise"with Ralf Little and I don't want to spoil anything by saying too much as yet. Somehow, I missed the last episode with him and I don't know quite how I did that. I thought I had it recorded. Well, something went wrong and at my local PBS we are back to the last two episodes with Jack Mooney, which I am rewatching. My quess is that they will continue on and re-air the new epidodes with Ralf again as well.

Intially, I saw him as a cross between Ben Miller and Kris Marshall. DI Parker has Poole's dislike for the tropics (remember Deedee, he too never took off the damned jacket in the blistering heat - eventually though he did acclimate himself, but it took time. He was always looking for a decent cup of tea!) and Goodman's brilliant quirkiness.

I will say that DI Parker's ailments overshadow the stories and have become an irritant to me. He is brilliant, but not a good fit for the climate. If he can overcome this, and he stops with all the itching and scratching, I think he will work out fine. Since I missed the last episode of the season with him, I don't know how this will turn out. He will need some heavy duty allergy medicine if he stays in Saint-Marie.

5 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

As long as he invests in some lightweight clothing and the health issues tone down, I think I will enjoy his stay

Bingo, app ara. Miller never ever put on short sleeves.

Oh I am glad Unforgotten is coming back, some day.

Bingo, Brit!

I too heard a few chords of the old Poirot and didn't watch the rest. I have to invest in the entire series, I think, to enjoy all of the old goodness.

Oh, and the Finnish Bordertown disappointed me. I have to fast forward through much of it, since they've already had four bloody animal corpses, and the last was unforgivable. If not for the cast and the storylines - dark, violent - I would have turned it off altogether.

5 weeks ago

Just sticking my nose in here for a minute but does anyone know when the next seasons of 'Grantchester', 'Endeavour', and 'Victoria' will be shown on PBS here in the states? Also, will there be a sixth series of 'Luther'? Thanks!

5 weeks ago

the prisoner6, Grantchester is airing in a few weeks on June 4th. Look for Endeavour to start on August 9th. No word on S4 of Victoria as yet - I am not sure if it went in to production before Covid or is on hold because of it. I don't know what is happening with Luther.

5 weeks ago

Sorry, that should have been June 14th for Grantchester.

5 weeks ago
appara2
guru

I noticed that the 6-part Beechham House is premiering on June 14th as well.
It's only 6 hours of my life so I'll likely tune in, even thought the trailer did not grab me.

5 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

In case you like dark TV.

A Confession. Martin Freeman is good, but the show is a chore to watch. I fast forwarded much of it, mostly the scenes with Joe Absolom (Al Large), he is that evil. Britbox.

Bordertown. Finnish. I didn't want it to end. But it did. I did want bad things for the daughter, though. Netflix.

Billions. Hope you're not bothering. Showtime.

I Know this much is true. Suffocating, sad, dark, intense. Mark Ruffalo does an amazing job playing two parts. HBO.

Marriage Story. Good. Heavy. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson.

Run. Awful drek.

Best this year: Chernobyl and War of the Worlds. Dark and darker.

4 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Forgot:

Dead Still. Odd. Dark. Funny. Bizarre. Michael Smiley new to me. Acorn.

4 weeks ago
appara2
guru

I am still enjoying Billions, even though Axe is really being an asshat this season, and the same for the legal side, but the wheels are in motion for another interesting finale.

Mark Ruffalo is more than just eye-candy for sure! This is not the type of show that I would normally watch - too dark, no happy ending possible - but he is keeping my absolute attention for the full hour!

Dead Still I really enjoy the characters and the story, but it just moves along soooooooo slowly. A bit of a brisker pace would not be amiss.

4 weeks ago

I tried Bordertown Deedee, I see the attraction, but it is too dark for me right now. I need some light these days. I do like the lead detective and his family, so I may revisit it at some point.

I having been bingeing the older Poirot's on the 'Tube and loving it. I forgot some of these, it has been that long since I last watched them. It takes a bit before I remember the story. When I am watching it is almost like I am transported back in time, I swear I can feel myself younger and in another world. My family were/are big Poirot and Miss Marple lovers, so it takes me back to the days when we were all together. Nice feeling.

I just finally finished Bodyguard, which I know you are watching Appara. I had watched about three episodes and then stopped - this past week I got back to it. It turned a corner I was not expecting from the first few episodes, I thought the story was going in another direction. A lot of tense moments going on in this one!

Deedee, for me, War of the Worlds and Giri/Haji were the best of this year so far.

4 weeks ago
fasilend

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

4 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.