TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

GREMLINS at it again I see , now as I was saying , he just appears on the beach with no explanation as to how he got there. …. Scotty must have beamed how down lol Poland is on the other side of Germany , from France ..... soooo that's all that needs to be said about that . lol Would it really be plausible that in during the era of World War II, they would have allowed a heavily pregnant woman entertain the troops?

Thought that odd as well , most of the old news clips shows ravishing movie stars or singers that really didn't have to sing all that well , just as long as they looked good . She seems to be too much out there ..... now days wouldn't matter but back then I would think she would have been shunted off to a nunnery or home for unwed mothers .

Harry is showing his true character by not abandoning those ' shell shocked ' , troops ... Now knows as PTSD ....... and the way he looked after that little French girl ... carrying her on his back until he could hand her over to that couple. I see the old battle axe is at it again .... referring to Douglas coming to her door all worked up looking for news about the boys on the beaches at Dunkirk as both their sons are there …….. ' go home control yourself , I'm disappointed in you ' a concerned , distraught mother she is not. Shades of ' High Castle ' came back to me with that father protecting his daughter from being turned in by Nazi woman … one smack in the head with a clothes iron took the Nazi out of her. Chuckled at the response of Helen Hunt when he told her what he did. She's just as bad - assed as Kasia …. taking charge getting rid of that body.

2 months ago
soler
expert

Soler, "Last Tango in Halifax" has gotten an air date... September 20th at 8:00 PM on PBS.

Two thumbs up … Brit something to look forward to over the summer.

2 months ago
soler
expert

Speaking of Kasai …. looks like she got her game on pretty good. Surprised thou , that they are working alone , her and her partner. Resistance units had structure , leaders and sub leaders then solders. The I.R.A. took up this practice in N. Ireland in the sixties and early seventies. British solders were warned not to be ' picked up ' in Pubs by pretty young Irish lasses who would lure them outside to some back alley where the I.R.A. would be waiting to execute them. She didn't have much of a story in this ep. hopefully more next week.

2 months ago
appara2
guru

My biggest stretch is how naive Hunt's character is (can't remember her name). She is supposedly a respected journalist, but to me seems to have no clue on what's happening? Or is that she is American so therefore thinks she is untouchable, say things and go places with no fear?

Now that you bring it up, perhaps the travel is due to PBS editing again? Things we don't need to know....

2 months ago

Harry is showing his true character by not abandoning those ' shell shocked ' , troops ... Now knows as PTSD ....... and the way he looked after that little French girl ... carrying her on his back until he could hand her over to that couple.

It certainly did, Soler. Changed my opinion of him... that took courage, compassion and resolve. I was thinking to myself while watching him with the little girl and those men, it is times like theses that you have to stick your feet in the ground, take a stand and stick to it even though you don't have a clue where you are going. One foot in front of the other with hope and prayer that you find a path to follow. Did my heart good to see him come through both those situations doing the best he could for those that could not protect themselves.

2 months ago

Chuckled at the response of Helen Hunt when he told her what he did. She's just as bad - assed as Kasia …. taking charge getting rid of that body.

I did the same, Soler. I was not surprised though, that is the response I expected. Appara, we were not in the battle at that point, so we were not officially German's enemy. There was great hesitation on our part to enter WWll, it was not until Pearl Harbor that we joined forces with the English and French. They needed our help and we were not responding. Hunt was trying to get the word out to us that we needed to join the fight, she was seeing first hand what the Nazi's were doing. It is not naivety on Hunt's part, that is American swagger you are seeing. :) We tend to view ourselves in a bubble, somewhat at arms length because we are American's. It is not always an endearing characteristic, it can be quite caustic to people of other cultures because we don't always make the effort to adapt and understand, we want to do it our way. That being said, from what I have seen in my travels, American's are among the friendliest of people, we will be the first to extend a hand and converse with people from all walks of life.

2 months ago

Deedee, I finished the last two episodes of War of the Worlds, they both were excellent. The ending opens up a whole set of further questions. I am hooked … looking forward to S2!

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Glad you liked it, Brit. I too hope there is a season 2.

POSSIBLE SPOILER.

Did you see the end of the last Baptiste coming from a mile away?

2 months ago
appara2
guru

Soler - White House Farm Murders has completely disappeared off of my schedule! Not sure if it may reappear at a later date, but for now.....pffft!
Scrolling through the guide last night I stumbled upon, and set, my PVR for the ABC Murders (Poirot) last night. John Malkovich stars, and it looks like only 3 episodes.

Brit, perhaps naive was the wrong word choice, I could have said Female Foreigner with no sense of self preservation? Her character is based on every front line reporter, rolled into one, so yes, there is a broad spectrum to her character. As well, I tend to forget I am looking back with all the knowledge of what is to come, so am expecting that awareness from some of these people.
Also, I am NOTdownplaying women in war...afterall, it was a female reporter that received multiple awards for her commitment to reporting the news, as it happened, including the Nazi tanks rolling into Poland!

2 months ago

Deedee, if you are talking about Stratton, he has a lot more chutzpah than we were led to believe, not that I am surprised. You know I did not believe his story - it just did not ring true from the beginning. Yea, you are going to steal a Million G's from the Romanian mob and give it to a young girl you met and walk off in to the sunset... okay. If that was the case, and the money meant nothing to you, give it back to them, walk away and take everyone you have brought in to this out of harm. At this point I don't have a feel for where we are going with this story - which actually is not a bad thing. Interested to know what his real motives are.

So far the grandfather and the young woman's son are safe. By now they know he does not have the money, so at least the Romanian's won't be after the GF for that. The father is still out there, which is a problem. The best hope for that child is if the father gets caught in the cross-fire somewhere.

2 months ago
soler
expert

Soler - White House Farm Murders has completely disappeared off of my schedule!

Not good news appara … I was looking forward to the ' White House Farm Murders ' … aka Bamber Case …. true story .. have known about this case for years and always thought he was guilty. Jeremy or Jeffrey Bamber is always photographed with a whipped puppy dog look on his face.... professes his innocence to this very day ... don't and never have bought his story. I'll keep scouring the CBC .. if ya hear anything let me know. Poirot is a good substitute though …. lol

2 months ago
soler
expert

Brit … this Stratton character is proving to be the most despicable creature to walk the face of this earth. Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong here : He goes to Baptiste because he's in big trouble by stealing ' meter mans ' money . He drags Baptiste into this mess to the point he has to put his family in hiding to protect their lives from the Human Traffickers . Baptiste finds the money ( with no help from Stratton ) calls Stratton and sets up a meeting with ' meter man ' to return the money ONLY to have Stratton take the money and car and leave … there by throwing him under the bus and leaving him standing in an empty street. Mystery on again. Why did he do it ??? I find this show has been uneven …. mystery build up was good with head In basement , who the girl was who Stratton was so interested in. Then that was explained and all that was left was the big money hunt. It reached a plateau then leveled off. Now, it's back on with Stratton's little stunt with the money. How's Baptiste gonna explain that to the traffickers ..think they'll listen ? If I was Baptiste I'd put Stratton's head on ' meter man's ' table along side the money . lol

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

No, I meant Baptiste, a very qualified cop, leaving......the keys in the ignition? Duh.

Yes, the turnaround in both Baptiste and Stratton is very welcome, so why did the writers throw us a useless red herring in the first two episodes? Oh, and don't forget the (very annoying actor) son out of the blue. This is written more like an American mystery of the week than an established show from across the pond.

Exactly, soler. I don't mind being played if the writing is cracklingly good. So far, the writing in this year's offering is insulting, at best. I expect it to be wrapped up with better writing than I've seen so far.

If I was Baptiste I'd put Stratton's head on ' meter man's ' table along side the money .

Hah, I like the way you think.

2 months ago

You are absolutely on point in your synopsis, Soler. What we know of Baptiste before we come in to this is that he is a missing child hunter, one of the best. This story brings him in under false pretenses and drops him and his family in an extremely dangerous situation. As you said in an early post - we were following the money and we are continuing to do so as we move on now that Stratton has taken it. He has left everyone (still) in danger because of it and off Stratton goes leaving Baptiste behind to deal with his mess. Yep, if I was Baptiste, I'd want his head as well.

Deedee
, the interesting thing is that the writers of this series are the same as The Missing. This story is not near of the same complexity and quality. It makes you wonder why. Apparently they wanted to go in a different direction with this series, but that does not change who they are as writers.

What that son people, I get an eerie feeling every time I see him.

2 months ago

Oh my goodness - head is foggy today. That should be "not nearly" and "watch" the son.

2 months ago

Deedee, you have been mentioning the series Bosch so I decided to give it a try - American made detective series are not my usual thing, but I had a feeling that the Hubs would like it. The man has become obsessed, he is loving it. He has a show to look forward to watching and there is something other than Law and Order reruns on the TV. Bless you. :)

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

LOL, you're welcome, Brit. There isn't much I look forward to in return, and Bosch is one. Ozark isn't bad, but it's not on the same level.

Check out the house, how precariously it sits on its stilts!

The Split is coming back, I hope that is engaging.

2 months ago

The Split is coming back, I hope that is engaging.

I heard! I am looking forward to it.

2 months ago

Don't want to get too ahead of you all so no big spoilers, but Baptiste was right on last night... finally, it has the pizazz it has been missing. We could have so done without those first two episodes, it started off badly and just could not seem to right itself for me until now. Deedee, you are so correct when you said it is like we are watching a different show.

I totally forgot about Natalie... we saw her in the beginning and not since, it would have been nice if they had mentioned her again as I certainly had not remembered that that was part of the reason Stratton (and Baptiste) are in the mess they are.

Speaking of Hollander, last night's episode was the first time he gelled for me as Stratton. Okay, we are near the end and I am finally all in.

Okay, this may be a big spoiler...

I will say one thing, it is a very bad thing to be associated with Edward Stratton - everyone that is close to him winds up dead.

2 months ago

World on Fire... what a sad episode last night. When the mother answered the last question during her interrogation I knew what was to come. She had no choice, or I should say she made her choice then and there - she knew what the outcome would be and she was going to shield her child from the horror of it by the only means she had available to her as there was no where else to run. It was devastating to watch.

Leslie Manville is shining in her role as Robina. She is playing the part like it was made for her - she definitely owns it. That whole exchange with her son and their new guest was the highlight of an otherwise very sorrowful episode.

2 months ago

I'm big on "okay" today. Quarantine brain.

2 months ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit … great Baptiste ep. Love the way he got rid of Constantine … don't do it yourself , get the traffickers to do it … that boat trick was brilliant. Loved seeing that look of confidence , that being in control demeaner leave Constantine when he learns about that big target Baptiste put on his back after he showed him the picture of the boat and how he put it in his name. The whole story is built around Natalie and her sister who was taken by traffickers ( if true ) but what if it's not. What if Natalie was just playing a game to steal the money and use Stratton to help her do it. If that was the case Stratton gonna feel some stupid after all these people dying ….. BUT .. that's just me off on a tangent. Don't like Det. Genevieve Taylor , find her abrasive and annoying. Now, off on the funny side . I have always had a pet beef about people answering their cell phones . A lot of people feel they have to answer their phone the instant it rings no matter where they are , no matter what they are doing instead of just letting it go to message and responding later. Eyes rolled Sunday night when Stratton discovered the bodies of his ex and her husband the second before that big thug attacked him . It was only luck he had his hand on that knife and was able to use it on him . Did not kill him , just slowed him down. Then what happens .. Stratton's phone rings , he immediately answers it. WHAT …. another example of just gotta answer that phone the instant it rings. LOL Found it funny , maybe just me. Wonder if the thug was able to collect himself and attack him again while he was on the phone , would serve him right. lol

2 months ago
soler
expert

World on Fire... what a sad episode last night.

Sad indeed … Brit but I thought it was inevitable .. Thought the outcome would be that they would come for the child to take her to a ' youth clinic ' and then take the parents off to a concentration camp. That's how they did it. Felt so sorry for the father when he walked into the room and saw his wife , then pulled the blanket back on his daughter. Totally shattered , lucky for him Nancy came in and got him to focus on his son . Her strength is amazing. One bit of good news , Tom is alive and well and being handled by the underground . Glad he's alive even if he is a little too mouthy. Don't know what's going on with that ' good ' Nazi helping that gay couple .. unless he's one himself. Looks like Harry came thru again helping those Senegalese solders by insisting they get a place on the boats to cross the channel. Don't think Robina was happy to see him turn up on her doorstep with Harry but that's Robina for you . lol Looks like ol' Harry caught the eye of S.O.E . Not surprised , they would be looking for some one like Harry … military background , proficient in several languages. Ability to think on his feet in a tough situation . Gonna be dropped in Poland to make contact with the underground. Did not like the look of those quick screen flashes of next weeks ep. One of the flashes was of Kasia with a sigh around her neck in a line with others with similar signs .. also in that flash was a noose , saw it in freeze frame. If this is so , it was the fate of many in the resistance.

2 months ago

The whole story is built around Natalie and her sister who was taken by traffickers ( if true ) but what if it's not. What if Natalie was just playing a game to steal the money and use Stratton to help her do it. If that was the case Stratton gonna feel some stupid after all these people dying...

I have been skeptical of Stratton's motives all along, Soler - I did not believe there was any altruism regarding the money on his part, it did not ring true to me that he would steal it and walk away after handing it to Natalie. And frankly, did Natalie really think she could take the money and buy her sister's freedom with it? We see what these people are and she lived it, so she knows it intimately - they don't work that way as is demonstrated by Constantine being helped out of a window. The whole reason for stealing the money is questionable and yet, it is the sister I am now thinking about as she is still being held by the Romanians. That is why Stratton took the money and went off to England (or so he says) to use it bargain for her life. Baptiste did ask Constantine to release her when he met with him, didn't he? This does give me pause as Stratton did follow through on this.

The one thing that I have thought of is that Baptiste is a missing person hunter, this story has had little connection to a missing person as Natalie was never missing - she was running away. If Baptiste and Stratton were able to find or get Natalie's sister released from the Romanians that would bring the story to a conclusion that fits in with Baptiste's profile.

2 months ago

Then again, Constantine is gone and Stratton and Baptiste have no idea where the girls are being held. It is not that Baptiste has had any time to look for them. After what the mob did to Stratton's ex- wife and her partner do we really think they would just let Natalie's sister go? Particularly as the money is now floating on the sea... although, it is now clean. Part of Constantine's job was to launder the money - it has been laundered - Baptiste bought a yacht from a legitimate dealer. I guess he could hand the title over to them in exchange for her life.

This story is just now taking off and we only have one more episode to the end. We are finally seeing the Baptiste I know... crafty and confident. Gave me great pleasure to see him corner Constantine and beat him at his own game.

They left us thinking Martha may be feeding info to the Romanians. I am not buying this - I can't imagine she would do that. I have someone else in my sights.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Hah! This episode - no, writers, you didn't need the first two - has so well gelled the series. It made me pay attention again.

Yes, soler, Stratton HAD to answer his phone when he wasn't absolutely positively sure that the thug was dead? Remind you of Law and Order or Blue Bloods where a perp is knocked out but not completely dead and they rise from the floor and go after the victim? BULL! Stratton, smash the bad guy to a bloody pulp before you answer your phone. I HATE THAT.

The woman cop, the mother of Baptiste's SUPPOSED son? I call crap on that, on her, there is something off about her, and I am not convinced that wimp is Baptiste's son. I don't like him.

Love that Constantine is dead. Hell, love that Fiona is dead in Run, and that show blows goats. What IS IT with these stupid writers?

And who doesn't think Stratton is the head of all that is evil, and is playing Baptiste? HE is able to kill a hired assassin? Really? I call BS on that too. I'm glad, I like Hollander, but nah, I ain't buying any of this season.

And the other woman, who looks familiar, in the car with Constantine. Really? You're watching a killer and you don't lock your freaking doors? Come on. I call BS.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Part II, 1500 limit.

The sister and the money and the woman who groused on the sister? I call BS.

Sadly, I can't wait for this to end. I hope the writers get their heads out of their ....... and write better next season.

World on Fire, lingered for a moment. The woman on the table, what was that all about? Horrific, the Nazis, of course, but what was she giving up? Why did she commit suicide and kill her kid? Why was her husband allowed to live. Too much for me, these shows, can't take them.

As I noted, Run stunk, except for the ex girlfriend getting impaled. That was cool.

Billions stunk.

Damn, is there anything on television right now that doesn't stink? The last episode of Endeavour was on after Baptiste, and that was decent. I hope the new season is better than this last one, which stunk but in comparison to the aforementioned, was pretty good.

War of the Worlds and s***** creek and Bosch have been the only bright lights lately. On cable Better Things has been good when the kids and mother aren't in it and
Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens are binge worthy.

2 months ago

I am re-watching the episode as I write this - As you do, Soler, I have a total dislike for Det. Genevieve Taylor. Point I forgot to mention that blared out to me loud and clear - when Batiste's son asks her out to dinner he isn't asking because he is interested in her romantically. He is trying to get information.

You are both correct about the phone, I was thinking the same thing. What the heck, someone is trying to kill you and you stop and answer the phone? Yep, the thing to do. (Roll eyes).

And who doesn't think Stratton is the head of all that is evil, and is playing Baptiste?

Many times I have thought this, *Deedee*. Involved in some way. Remember, Natalie said to Baptiste early on that he did not know him, he is not what he portrays (or was it, what he was capable of) either way, it was a warning. Not sure where he fits in to all this as nothing feels grounded about this story or him.

2 months ago

Natalie's sister's name is Cristina. Watching the scene where Baptiste meets with Constantine… he says "this is not a negotiation" as if he holds all the cards (as he usually does) and then Baptiste gives him the bag with the yacht documentation... paid in cash in his name. Best scene of the episode as we watch it slowly dawn on Constantine - it takes a few minutes - that he is in deep trouble.

2 months ago

Deedee, I watched Mayday on Acorn TV... the story had a supernatural edge to it which pretty much was used to cover all the holes in the plot. I think the writers were half asleep when they wrote it. Gaping holes, unlikable characters, unanswered questions. Loose ends hanging everywhere. It makes you wonder how this stuff gets produced. I keep looking for the next gem. Remember Giri/Haji? They are out there, just few and far between unfortunately.

2 months ago

World on Fire, lingered for a moment. The woman on the table, what was that all about? Horrific, the Nazis, of course, but what was she giving up? Why did she commit suicide and kill her kid? Why was her husband allowed to live. Too much for me, these shows, can't take them.

Deedee, that was a heartbreaking story that we all knew was going to end the way it did. The child had epilepsy, the parents hid it from the Nazi's for as long as they could, the father even joined the Nazi Party to try to keep them from focusing on their daughter. We all know what the Nazi's did to people, including children, who were not "perfect" in the Aryan viewpoint. Once the mother answered the question under interrogation that her daughter had epilepsy, the child's fate was sealed.

The reason that the parent's were being interrogated (there was another issue with the father, but I won't complicate the explanation with it) was that the Nazi's wanted one of them to acknowledge the daughter's condition. The reality of the situation was that it didn't matter what she said at that point, she understood this, it was just a move in a chess board of control by the local Nazi Party - they would have taken the child and the parents for not answering truthfully. By acquiescing, she bought herself enough time to take care of her child the best way she could, which was to give her a peaceful passing from this life and go with her. Had she not, that child would have suffered brutally in Nazi hands.

They let the father go because the mother told them what they wanted to hear and they had exacted their control over him. They got what they wanted. From my view, they did not think that the mother would take the situation in her own hands and protect her child from them.

2 months ago

Deedee, there is a documentary on Epic that might interest you as I know you are a Leonard Cohen fan. I am not a fan to the extent you are, some of his music speaks to me some doesn't. The songs that do have a strong hold, Marianne is one of them, I am very drawn to her life with him and the impact it had on her. I don't quite know why, but I really don't need to know, some stuff is best left as it is, with no intersection. I find her captivating, there is just something about her. Anyway, I came across it by chance as I was hunting through the channels - Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love. I knew much of their story together and his life afterward but to see it unfold in pictures and first hand remembrances was really something. It was all there unvarnished, as it was. You may not be as interested as I, but I wanted to let you know about it.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

How awful. Thank you, Brit, for the explanation. I find I am less able to tolerate stories of horror these days.

Thank you, I will look for it. I didn't find Cohen a stellar individual, but you're right, one can't help whose music or poetry speaks to them.

2 months ago
soler
expert

The science of racial purity was called ' eugenics ' , the Nazis took it to the extreme. Wonder what the father will do now .

2 months ago

Yes, Deedee, Cohen was not neccesarily a kind person, particularly with the women in his life. I am not a fan of his, my interest is more in his muse, Marianne. Something interesting I learned from the documentary... the woman he left Marianne for was described by someone who knew them both, as ruthless - she had drawn him in to her web so to speak and he was caught. Took him quite awhile to untangle himself. This was the mother of his two children (they were not part of the documentary, nor should they have been). When I said it was an unvarnished story of his life, it was, mostly told by people who were with him in those early years. The impression I got was that he deserved her. That says alot.

2 months ago

Oh, btw, that woman was Suzanne. One of the things that became very clear was that the years in Greece on the island of Hydra in the sixty's left scars for almost all that lived there during that time, except for Cohen. He thrived in the lifestyle and atmosphere. To me, it was almost liked he sucked the life out of those around him, took their breath, got stronger from it, and carried on.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

I'm mortified, Brit, that I was suckered in by his persona when singing 'I'm your man'. But, musicians have to put on an act just as actors do.

I never would have thought that was the real Leonard Cohen. I'll have to make a note to watch the show, thank you for the pointer.

Right now, we're watching The Plot against America, i.e., what might have been had the Nazi lover Charles Lindbergh become president. Hubby is enthralled because of the time period cars - oy, don't ask - and the story is okay and some of the acting is good, but it ain't no War of the Worlds. Search me, Brit, I don't know why I was mesmerized with every single second and I even found the company that created the robot dog that Singapore (see link) is using to enforce social distancing - perhaps the idiots on the beaches could use it? - but the scary noise that is in my brain is not coming from the robot itself. No surprise. Anyway, they had damned well better come out with a season two, after that cliffhanger.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

SO annoying the 1500 character limit.

Otherwise, I think there's one more season of Bosch and that's that. I'm not impressed with streaming at present. You'd THINK they would bust their behinds to produce excellence.

OH! How did you like the Downton Abbey movie? I saw it for a second as Molesley was acting like an idiot at the royal dinner. WOULD he have done this, as smart as he was? Granted, it was near the end of the movie, so I don't know how besotted he was with the queen, but come on, everyone was looking at him as if he had killed a kitten. The rest of the movie isn't like that second, is it?

2 months ago

I go pass the limit all the time, Deedee. It can take more, I don't go over 1800 because I am too afraid of losing my post.

Artistic people may have a gift, but that does not make them necessarily people you want to have a relationship with. Those same qualities that make them see the world in the way they do doesn't always translate in to stellar human beings. They tend to be high on the narcissist scale. They take what they need from people and move on. One of the participants in the documentary made the comment - "artists don't make great husband's/lovers" - that is often the case. As a poet he may have been able to articulate "I'm Your Man" in a way that speaks to people, in reality it was a life of sex, drugs and rock and roll - in that order. He had a voracious appetite. He was capable of great love - we all have good and bad traits - but someone with a more controlling, "ruthless" personality fares better than someone with a tender heart that can be easily broken.

He was a very handsome man, I will say that. Very much reminds me of a significant person in my life. He has the same dark, striking handsomeness of Leonard (they could be siblings) and is one the smartest people I have ever met, which says a lot because I know some really smart people. He is also one of the most self destructive. I was very young when I met him, but even at that young age I knew that I would not survive with him and we went out separate ways, although he has always had a place in my heart. Through the years we have kept in touch. He is considerably older than I and nearing the twilight of his life so I don't hear from him directly anymore - I get bits and pieces of information here and there.

In some ways maybe I see some of Leonard's and Marianne's life in my own. I didn't have a life like theirs in Hydra, which is thankful because it was not as idyllic as it seemed.

Oh my goodness, I am at 1929 characters!

2 months ago

Will be back about the dog robots! I am obsessed with them! Saw them being used in Singapore. I do not see the link about the company.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, here it is, if you can read it. It won't let me read it, because of ad blockers.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-05-13/coronavirus-singapores-robot-dog-enforces-social-distancing

Here also is the company that makes them, Boston Dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNaLtC6vkU

I don't know why they creep me out so much!

Very accurate summary of the narcissistic personality. They are a flame to the moth that is the sensitive person, who hopefully gains confidence and moves on. I saw firsthand what happens when someone marries one in 1947 and sticks around for 64 years.

Wait! If I go over the limit of 1500 characters, I can still post my comment?

2 months ago

Thanks for the links Deedee. I must be honest, I partially root for the dog robots in War of the Worlds. I know how destructive they are, but they are driven to survive just like everyone else we come across in the series. The fact that they are dog like in appearance is what drives this. If they were in another form I probably would not feel the same.

Yes, you can post if you go over 1500 characters. There is a limit in size at some point I am sure, but you can push the 1500 character limit and it will still post. I do it far more than I should, it is better to post shorter comments and not risk losing them in a poof.

7 weeks ago

OH! How did you like the Downton Abbey movie? The rest of the movie isn't like that second, is it?

I saw it in the movie theater and really enjoyed it. The hubs went with me and he enjoyed it (and he knows nothing about Downton). I even persuaded him that we should visit Highclere Castle after he saw the film. We were on the verge of signing up for a tour of England, visiting the various PBS sites that we are all familiar with (I am having a big birthday this year and it was going to be our way of celebrating it) anyway, that couldn't happen and probably will never be as life has changed and Britain's response to the virus has been dismal. It will be several years before we would re-consider it and by then I will be on to something else. Such is life, and that is okay, being healthy and safe is more important to us.

The scene you saw is the most iffy of the whole movie. Too bad that was what you stumbled upon first. It is a feel good story - nothing major happens that is negative or controversial except for Molesley's speaking up at the royal dinner... and that is just the way I wanted it. I did not want to see anything that would leave me feeling sad - I think most people were feeling the same way as I - and it did not go there. It was a pleasant escape to the Downton world.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I too felt for the dog robots. Especially the scene where the soldiers were taunting the injured one. It's amazing, isn't it?

Thanks on the character clarification.

And thanks, I will give DA the movie a watch, if it's still around on cable. I can understand you wanting to go there, I would like to do the same to see the Poirot and other detective locations. Now, never gonna happen. Funny story, this year was a big birthday for me. We had made a reservation at one of my favorite restaurants, but it was midway into the virus media onslaught, so we cancelled. Next day, my actual birthday, everything was shut down in NY! You can't make this stuff up. Well, it was a notable one, for sure.

Nice job on Baptiste for the finale. They REALLY didn't need those first two episodes! Questions after you watch.........

P.S. Happy Birthday!

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

The Guardian didn't like this year's Baptiste series either, SPOILERS below. I liked the finale more than they.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/25/baptiste-finale-was-the-bloody-moody-missing-spinoff-worth-your-time

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

A nice review of Run, which although it had Merritt Wever giving a damned good performance, it just didn't cut it. So. What DOES make a good show? Actors? Directing? Writing?

She gave a similar performance in Unbelievable, but that series was great. Interesting, no?

https://tv.avclub.com/run-remains-stuck-in-neutral-1843503632

7 weeks ago
soler
expert

If I compare World on Fire and Baptiste … must say World on Fire wins hands down. felt the last scenes ended on a rush where as Baptiste had the feeling of just limping to the finish line . Didn't really care what happened to any of the characters in Baptiste , where as World had me caring for just about all. Got more into the character of Sean Bean and how WW I effected him . His understanding of that poor soldier cringing in the hospital corridor spoke volumes in comparison to that quack doctor who appeared. I think I have lost all hope for Robina . Thought there was a spark of a turn around in looking after Jan but last night showed she is a hopeless case. Calling her grand daughter a bas* ard brought a rebuke from Harry and on that visit to Lois and the baby … was telling ….. Do you want to hold her , asked Lois .. What for .. came from Robina . lol Then , there was not telling Jan his brother was alive and in hospital was ahead shaker as well but what put the icing on the cake was that last conversation Harry had with his mother about his fathers suicide and what the war had done to him. All of it went right over Robinas head. Now, I can see why Harry and her do not see eye to eye on much. Now, whats next.. must check schedule.

7 weeks ago

Haven't gotten to "World On Fire" as yet Soler, so I just quickly read through your comments - I'll get back to you once I give it a view.

P.S. Happy Birthday!

Thank you! Mine is coming up this summer which is when we were planning on going on the tour. Happy Birthday to you! This has been a year of the unknown, hasn't it. What we thought was life is no more and won't be for some time. No big birthday celebrations for us this year, but hey, we are still standing and breathing. Our time will come again. Maybe you and I can celebrate together over a piece of pizza in your favorite town :) - it may take us another year to do that, but what the heck, we will have something to look forward to.

"War of the Worlds"... I had the same reaction to the scene where the soldiers were taunting them. When Emily explains that they were attacking because they were scared, that it was self preservation on their part, I started to see things from a different perspective.

7 weeks ago

That is a good article on the "Baptiste" finale. I have mixed feelings about the finale, I thought it started out with a bang - things were going good, we even got a dramatic car chase (as noted in the review), then I felt like they were trying to hard to pull in all the loose ends and it seemed forced. Overall I liked it. Of them all, I thought the penultimate episode was the best.

I knew that that Niels was no good. You could read it from his face, his demeanor - he had a dark aura surrounding him just like Constantin. Two of a kind. I couldn't understand why they allowed him to go to his mother's memorial - I did not get that at all. I would not have given him the opportunity to say goodbye. He did not deserve it - put him in a cell and throw away the key.

I was thinking about what a total loss this whole thing was - all over money that is now floating on the sea somewhere. What actually got accomplished from what Edward and Natalie did.

Everyone, every single soul that Edward cared about is now dead because of it. Natalie is dead, Cristina is lost to a horrible life, Martha is gone... nothing came of all this death. Then I remembered those girls that were found... this whole fiasco - and it was one from start to finish, as they were always playing catch-up because of Niels... they were the good that came out of all that death. Natalie and Cristina could not be saved, but those girls were and that and the fact that Constantin, Niels and the Brigada were off the streets not to hurt anyone else, at least for a while, was the positive thing to come from it all.

In the end, I think very little of Edward, he was a foolish man that got in over his head and pulled everyone in his orbit down with him. He brought heartache everywhere he went. It was a moment of chance that brought him the coordinates that gave them the location of the mob, nothing more.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

You are correct, the previous episode was much better. Since they had finally gotten their act together, the writers could have written just one more episode to tie things up.

We did call Niels, didn't we? He telegraphed bad early on, and did he need to be Baptiste's son? I hope we are not going to see more of him in the future. And agree on the faux touching scene of him at his mothers crypt. The only interesting thing was that his demeanor was different. Ordinarily I would appreciate that in an actor, but I didn't like his character.

Speaking of the money, what did happen to it? Edward and the woman in the car stole it from Baptiste's car, where did it then go? I still can't get over Baptiste leaving the keys in his car, what a dolt.

I know, after all Edward did and Baptiste still cuts him a break. Nice guy, Baptiste.

Were we supposed to be frightened for the woman (can't recall her name, she looks familiar as an actor) with Baptiste when she went home? What, ax man went in her apartment and then left? Why?

Another huh? The guy in the wheelchair in the home, who was that?

How about grumpy daughter, does she just go on being grumpy and not included in the show, or do they have a Thanksgiving dinner where formerly evil son is allowed out and he is introduced to sis?

I hope next year is better written, Baptiste (too lazy to look up his name again) is too good an actor for this half hearted effort.

7 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.