TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

Showing some of the victims sure does bring it home appara …. victim count not over yet until all them burnt down house are sifted thru. Trudeau is following the lead of the New Zealand Prime Minister in saying not to mention killers name or show the face. My neighbour gave me a strip of tartan to tie around a tree , guess that's our version of a yellow ribbon. Glad Momma has taken to Jan . Poor kid has it tough enough. Kasia is gonna turn out ta be quite a ' bad ass ' by the look of things . Can't say as I blame her after the way her mother was killed by the Nazis and in front of her eyes. Harry had better be careful if this develops into a love triangle . I wouldn't want to be him if Kasia finds out . Those Nazis will have gotten off easy as compared to what she would do to him. LOL Baptiste is starting to draw me in. I am starting to see his tenacity . Looking forward to your theory on the ' head ' ( those eyes staring up from under the plastic ) lol now that Baptiste has discovered it. Sorry about the girl trying to get away from ' meter guy ' was hoping she would have untangled herself.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Well, app ara, I fell asleep on Homeland, fell asleep on Baptiste, and sat there with mouth agape at the sad writing of Run. The last minute or so was good. I'm so embarrassed for Merritt Wever.

I'll have to watch Baptiste again before I can weigh in. By the way, for a guy with a limp, he sure can run!

3 months ago

Soler, it feels like you are living in another dimension doesn't it. Like it is not even reality. It is incomprehensible that someone would think so little of life that they would do such a thing. You can't get your head around how someone could do this. Good for your PM, someone who would do such a horrific thing should not get one second of recognition, not one.

I watched Baptiste, haven't got to World on Fire as yet. My gut tells me the young detective is involved in this on some level, I am not getting a good feeling about him... what, I don't know, but if he is involved in human trafficking I am going to be so glad to see him go under, because go down he will with Baptiste on the case.

Spoilers (Don't read Deedee)

We are left (in the end) with the Romanian "meter reader" once again... I though that was a good way of keeping the suspense going. The questions - 1) How did Edward Stratton get himself involved to the point where he has a head on a shelf in the basement? We know that money is involved at this point and we can guess that it is because of his involvement with the young woman... but this has got to be one hell of a story. 2) How is the farmer tied in to this? We know he has the money and it seems he recognized that necklace. He doesn't seem to be directly involved, but he knows something, the look on his face when he walked in to the police station said it all.

3 months ago

I have been watching Belgravia on Epix. I am so sorry that PBS did not put this in their lineup because Soler you would love it. What a cast! Photography, from the exterior shots to the interiors is sublime. I am so enjoying it, my favorite thing on tv at the moment. We are in to the second episode and the tension of the main plot has grown, the gauntlet has been thrown so to speak. It is nothing like Downton, very different, but just as intriquing. Julian Fellowes does it again. I am so looking forward to the next episode.

Deedee, I know you don't do costume drama, but remember what happened with Downton once you gave it a chance. The cast alone is enough to turn it on for. Give it the first two episodes, you need to see the second before you get a true glimpse of where this story is going.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Soler
, it feels like you are living in another dimension doesn't it. Like it is not even reality.

Yes Brit , it does .. death toll is not finished yet .. still counting. Last I heard was a 17 year old girl. Unbelievable, I like not mentioning his name or showing his picture …. this is the way to handle these things.

' Meter man ' keeps showing up … and yes ' the head ' still has to be explained lol .. lots of loose ends to be tied together here. Baptiste is very unassuming .. and I'm betting that serves him well in unraveling all this. and unraveling it he will .. as I see more of his style .

Wish PBS did carry Belgravia Brit … have had an interest in it since I first heard about it.
Haven't seen Philip Glenister for awhile and I bet Harriet Walter plays a very good aristocrat ... does she appear haughty and aloof ?? … I picture her that way .

3 months ago

She certainly does, Soler. Perfect for the role. She is a good counter balance to Tamsin Greig's character. I read an article from The Daily Mail that said people complained that the acting was wooden. I see nothing wooden about any of the performances. The cast is outstanding, these are all pros with long resumes. Paul Ritter plays the head butler, we can already see that he is crossing the line... food going (not so quietly) out the door to line his pockets, or so it seems. Could he be helping someone, we don't know. Two of the downstairs staff know about it - one helping him, the other raising her eyebrow in question. This is the character Saskia Reeves is playing. She is a solid actress, I always enjoy her on screen.

A lot of family dynamics going on with both leading characters. This is what is similar to Downton, no smooth sailing among the family members. Deep secrets bubbling everywhere and societal disaster looming. This is going to be good!

3 months ago

I saw a brief advertisement for a series with Peter Davison and Christopher Timothy - "Vintage Roads Great and Small" on FB, so I watched an episode last night (S1E2) where they drive from London to Cornwall on the A30. They were driving a vintage roadster in this one. What a delightful show! Next I am going to watch an episode from S2 ... they drive from the New Forrest along the Jurassic Coast to Burgh Island. This series has been shown on some local PBS stations and I did find the first episode, Iverness to the Isle of Skye on the 'Tube.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Delightful Brit … ' Vintage Roade Great and Small ' just watched S1 E1 ' Inverness to Isle of Skye ' 100 miles , what a treat … scenery is stunning . Love the Scottish Highlands . Peter Davidson and Christopher Timothy are perfect for this , can't wait to watch next ep. ' London to Land's End 300 miles S1 E2 . All Creatures was a great show .

3 months ago

Where did you find E2, Soler? Is it on the 'Tube? Land's End was the one I watched first. Watched the Burgh Island episode last night. What a treat! I am definitely going back for more.

3 months ago

I am smiling as we are using the same words to describe the series! What else can you say it is a delightful treat!

3 months ago
soler
expert

Yup .. all on the ' Tube ' Brit … 1. S1 E1 Inverness to Isle of Skye 2. S1 E2 London to Land's End 3 S1 E3 Cardiff to Snowdonia Can't find any S2 eps. ….. me thinks there not loaded on the Tube yet.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

How is your health, Brit?

Anyone manage more than a few minutes of Deadwater Fell?

3 months ago

I am doing fine, Deedee thanks for asking. Had problems with shortness of breath and a sore throat, that went on for the last four weeks, but I am coming out of it. I think it is my allergies acting up.

The scary thing, I know of two people who think that what was diagnosed as extremely bad bronchitis/flu early December of last year in to January of this - one is my friend and neighbor and the other a close friend of my sister - they were both very sick, had bad breathing problems, one was on oxygen the other back and forth to the doctor because she was so sick (this went on for seven weeks before she came out of it). Now that they are thinking of their symptoms, it seems that they may have had Covid. Without the availability of testing they can not be sure, but in both cases they were sicker than they have ever been and the doctors didn't know exactly what they had because it wasn't the general flu.

I was not near my neighbor prior to her getting sick and did not physically see her while she was. But this is my sister's best friend and she was at her house to help her when she needed it. If it was Covid, how my sister did not get sick I can only thank God. This is my youngest sister and she has no immune system. Or so we thought! She said she must be stronger than she thinks to have not gotten sick. Without going in to too much detail, my sister is a kidney transplant recipient and although in generally good health, has to be very careful, she is still regulated by her doctors to keep her kidney from going in to rejection (which has happened when her medicine is off). The only thing we can think of is that the various meds she takes for her kidney (it is a mountain of drugs) must have kept her from catching the virus if it was Covid. Talk about being thankful, I am beside myself because I do believe her friend was sick with it.

3 months ago

Deadwater Fell... I have been keeping up with it, but it is just okay- nothing near Broadchurch quality. It is more of a phycological thriller than a detective/investigation story. I read that the writers wanted the viewer to look at their own preconceived notions about people as we make assumptions of who the killer is. ???? All the characters are unlikable and without a strong investigatory presence the story is lacking. We are subjected to watching David Tennant as a controlling, SOB for much of the time.

Watching it I found myself missing the dynamic duo of Hardy and Miller, so I am re-watching the second season of Broadchurch once again. This is my favorite season of the series. The relationship between Hardy and Miller has gelled, they are really working as a team, I enjoy having the other investigation unfold at the same time as the trial is going on and I find the trial itself engrossing.

Now, I realize you hated the ending of the story and felt that justice was not done. I see it from another perspective. Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers....

The first time I watched it I too was shocked about the outcome. I am now on my third watch and have absorbed the fact that the murderer walks away. At this point I am watching the trial for what it is - a calamity of errors for the prosecution that allowed a guilty man to walk free. What starts out as a cut and dry case - the man pleated guilty - turns in to a text book of what should never happen when pleading a case. With precision the defense pokes holes in the prosecution's case and everyone involved on Danny's team has dirt on their hands.

Miller to start with, the father next, Miller's sister, the press - everyone - even the lawyer herself. The only one I can not pin something to is the mother, Beth. The murderer walks because each did something to make their actions suspect and that is how he walked. Of course, they did not have the hindsight to see their actions in the light is was presented by an attorney that was going to win at any cost.

3 months ago

You know each time you view something you hear something new that did not hit you in the same way before. When Beth asks her lawyer why she took the case when she didn't want to at first (we know part of the reason is her failing eyesight) she tells her that she understood what the family was going to be up against with the defense attorney and that Danny was her paper boy - I did not key in on this before in quite the same way - she knew Danny personally (no one else knew that) and she wanted justice for Danny. It was an important moment.

I am two episodes in from the end and I am on shaky ground with remembering what is going to happen next which is really a good thing. In any event, I am enjoying this season all over again and have to put the Hardy/Miller team at the top of my favorite detectives list.

3 months ago

I should have said, "he confessed" not that he pleaded guilty. The confession was thrown out because of Miller's actions... once that happened he pleaded not guilty and all hell broke loose. That was the first mistake and the opening for the trial to go in another direction entirely.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

That is very scary, Brit. Much was apparently going on in January and February, when our politicians chose to ignore the news I was reading about the doctor in China who warned the world about Covid 19, but was arrested and eventually died from it. I am glad everyone close to you are all right.

Lo and behold, Baptiste is on Amazon Prime. I don't have to struggle to stay awake anymore. I was still meh after the second episode, I am not finding it (or him, as good as he is) riveting. I like Hollander but he is not cutting it (for me) as a villain. I will continue because Karyo is so good.

I keep expecting the dog to be killed when they focus on the farmer, and they had BETTER not go there.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

Baptiste: Oh hi, it's the meter reader. Oh really, were you EXPECTING a meter reader? Come on.

DF: So who amongst us couldn't figure out Tennant was the killer? And as unpleasant a character as he already seems to be, I don't choose to continue watching a father who would kill his children to be with a new model. Here's hoping they show him being hanged at the end.

Sounds like Belgravia is worth a look, thanks.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

so, here we are at Sunday night again.....

I'm heading into the 3rd episode of Baptiste ..... and here's my theory

maybe :D
_______

Brit, the young fella that you have a bad feeling about? I had the feeling that there was a deeper connection than just happening to be on the same case....i think there might be a 'family' connection here? Any chance that might be Baptistes son?
Soler, when it comes to the creepy head on Strattons shelf ... I'm betting it's a threat from the mob, I'm thinking Stratton was originally in charge of the bag of money?

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Another Baptiste episode, still not engaged. Too bad, I like the leads on their own.

Speaking of likable leads on their own, it is AMAZING how excellent writing can propel an actor. Merritt Wever was amazing in Unbelievable, and Gleeson was good in what I've seen of him.

But they are awful together in RUN, and I hope it is over soon.

Speaking of glad it's over soon, which it wasn't, and was painful along the way, Homeland finally ended, and the very last episode was quite good.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Well appara … the mystery of the head has been solved . Of course he couldn't leave it on the kitchen table what would the neighbours think . This show has turned out to be a game of follow the money .

3 months ago
appara2
guru

LOL Soler! I like how you think!!

I am starting a new, for me, show based on a true story, tomorrow Wed 29th
It's called the White House Farm Murders, and is airing on CBC
Originally aired Jan 2020 in the UK

What better place than in the basement, on a shelf, for family members no longer with us?
I can understand not wanting to go to the police when you have stolen from the mob, and they are onto you, but storing boxes of remains.... yuck!
Following the money is going to be downright impossible now :(

Baptiste is definitely on the outs with the daughter. It seems that she turned on him pretty quickly. I am assuming they didn't have the best relationship prior to this visit?

3 months ago

All I was thinking while I was watching is can this story get any sicker! Appara, when I saw Baptiste put his cup next to the young detectives, I said bingo, she got it! I did not see that coming, good catch. What I do see coming is that this will bring no joy to Baptiste. I see nothing but red flags surrounding that young man. I see it in his demeanor, in his face and when he speaks - red flags everywhere waving in the wind. That is a damaged soul.

World on Fire... I am sorry that they decided to take the story in the direction they did with the pregnancy. I had a feeling it was going there, but hoped it wouldn't. This was the topic for half the episode and it is starting to sound like a soap opera this tug and pull between these two women. I do applaud Lois for not asking for Robina's help. She would not help without taking over, I wouldn't want her anywhere near my child if I was Lois. Robina is taking good care of Kasia's brother which is a good thing, but I find this more out of character than in for her.

Twenty-five people died because of Kasia killing the SS officer. That was a very hollow victory. Now she is going to kill twenty- five more German soldiers to make herself feel better. It won't help, she can't bring those lives back no matter what she does.

3 months ago

Deedee, we are of the same mind - my disappointment in this (Baptiste) first series has not abated as I continue to watch. I dislike the story and can't get past Hollander as Stratton. I continue to watch because of Tcheky Karyo. We can only hope that S2 is better.

I finished the second season of Broadchurch and once again, I loved it. I relished every bit of it. I only say this because when you really enjoy something it makes you less tolerant of the stuff out there that doesn't hit the mark for you. I know not every series can do this, but it makes it even more apparent when you are not engrossed, when the story and characters are not capturing you, when you are just watching something as opposed to looking forward to it. I have such a need to get back in to a series that does this, that I think I am going to re-watch Vera again. They are up to S4 on my local PBS station, I watched E2 last night and that was a damned good story. Complex and thoughtful. I am going to continue on weekly from here, I think.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Twenty-five people died because of Kasia killing the SS officer.

Yes Brit ….. this was the cruel reality that the resistance had to grapple with in every occupied country. Look at the poor , tragic case of Lidice in the Czech Republic , over 300 men, women and children were executed for the resistance killing of a high ranking Nazi. Resistance fighters had a lot to fear from their own people , ( being turned in ) who saw themselves paying the price for the attacks of the resistance on supply trains and German solders. You're right , I do hope this does not turn into a love triangle story , at this point it looks like it could be going there.

3 months ago
soler
expert

I am starting a new, for me, show based on a true story, tomorrow Wed 29th
It's called the White House Farm Murders, and is airing on CBC
Originally aired Jan 2020 in the UK

Got my DVR on it appara …. The Bamber murder case ( 1985 ) … gonna present both sides and then let YOU be the judge. Son has been in jail all this time ….

3 months ago
soler
expert

Wonder what Horace Rumpole's assessment would be of this case. lol

3 months ago
appara2
guru

Thanks for the link to Baptiste Brit, so happy to see I'm not the only one that is enjoying this 1st season! But, I do see that I am the only one in here that does, so I'll back away from making y'all feel like you have to converse about the clues.

It looks like they've moved the White House Farm to begin on May 6th. Grrr!

3 months ago

Soler, it was sobering and shocking to watch as the consequences of the resistance became clear. That scene made me understand that whatever choice was made by individuals to actively resist or to carry on and just try stay alive under occupation there was no right or wrong - it was an impossible time that no one can judge that did not live it. Those residents who lived under the occupation in the Channel Islands are still living with the taint of their willingness to go along with the Germans during their occupation. Accounts of those who lived through it explain that they had no choice, resistance would have annihilated them as a people - it was not an option for them. It is a very difficult thing to hear and understand. Years later, sitting in our comfortable arm chairs people have the luxury to speak of what others should have done, but every choice had consequences that impacted others.

3 months ago

Spoilers.... Deedee, you were right, Deadwater Fell was a total waste of time - no plot twists, turn of events, nothing - what you think from day one is exactly what happened. No story other than to watch that SOB in action. Utter waste of my time.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

I don't get it, Brit. They MUST have paid good money to the writers, and if I can figure out what is coming after half an episode, anyone can.

SPOILER, if anyone didn't watch this thing yet.

But seriously, would a father do that?

I'm surprised they didn't give him a dog so he could have burned that to death too and made me even more upset with the storyline.

But duh, anyone who watches Law and Order has seen the old injure oneself in a murder so you can kill your family to marry a Twinkie storyline. Really, writers? Why not make him a serial killer so he can kill three strangers so he can kill his wife and marry a Twinkie?

Did the cops get him because he googled 'lethal doses of whatever he injected them with' so he could inject himself with a non lethal dose?

Ah well, if Merritt Wever can disappoint, anything can happen.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, very odd. Episode 3 of Baptiste is as if it is a completely different show.

Not sure of the why of the first 2, they didn't provide background, for me they just annoyed. Stratton told his entire story to Julien this episode, and their chemistry jelled.

I won't say more, let me know what you think. Strange, it's as if they were required to produce two more episodes and tacked them on at the start.

3 months ago

Deedee, Spoiler, spoiler.... wait, it is worst than you thought, there is no twinkie - none. He did not kill his wife and daughters to move on to another life with someone else, he killed them out of pure spite and anger at his wife.

He had been mentally abusing his wife (apparently for years) and giving her drugs to make her seem like she had depression/emotional problems... this was going on behind doors, outwardly he made himself out to be a loving husband. He was none of that. He was a criminal psychopath, who felt no sense of remorse for his actions. His mother knew what he was like, she knew what he was capable of.

He found out through a message left on her phone that she went to see a divorce lawyer, and from another message, that she was attempting to open her own bank account. That is all she did - and the sole reason for him killing his children and her - that she had the audacity to consider leaving him.

I watched that entire series to find out what I knew from halfway in the first episode, that he was an abusive, psychopath who killed his own family. They were trying to make us believe that he intended to kill himself in the fire, but I don't believe it, it was not convincing as he only sedated himself with the drug, where he gave his daughters enough insulin to kill them and stabbed his wife to make sure she was dead before setting the fire to hide the evidence.

3 months ago

The problem I am having with Baptise is the credibility of the actions of Hollander/Stratton and like you Dee, how the story started rom the beginning. That whole cock-and-bull story of Stratton's that he stole money, a million dollars no less, from the Romanian mob because the young girl who he was obsessed with told him she knew where they had the money lying around. So they steal it and he gives the money to her. Who in their right mind thinks that this is something that they will get away with, we are talking about people who are right up there with the South American cartels - they kill whole families with out blinking an eye, so yea, stealing from them, because you can, makes a lot of sense. If he really wanted to help her get out of that life, which I understand was not going to be easy, this was not the right approach! :)

Okay, I am suppose to buy in to this... then, you have your father's head sitting on a shelf, which was delivered to you via your kitchen table and your best reaction is to put it on a shelf in your basement? This is the point you ask for help, and by hiding the real facts and telling everyone you are trying to find your niece - who works in the red light district in Amsterdam. Your father's head is sitting on a shelf and this is what you do?

This story is not plausible for me... Hollander is not plausible for me. They spent the better part of the first two episodes with Baptise totally in the dark about what was really going on. What a waste of his talent. When we last saw him in "The Missing", he was brought in to the case - which was cold at that point- to find the clues that no one else was able to do before. We saw that man resurrect the investigation from nothing. That is what Baptise does best, find the single thread that unravels the crime.

There is no thread here, no crime to solve. He is involved in a fight for his, his families' and Stratton's life - and Stratton's family, he did tell us there is an ex-wife - lives. That is what we are watching. *Soler* said it, it is all about finding the money at this point. Believe me, other's heads will roll as this story continues.

3 months ago

Spoilers... so the money is now with the girl's father, who has her son (his grandchild) which he took from the hospital to get him away from the abusive, drug addicted father who is part of the Romanian mob. I can not tell if we are only privy to this or if someone is watching him. Either way, their lives are at stake as well. I am hoping that the grandfather and child make it out of this and get away, but with the way things have gone so far, I am worried. We have no idea where the child's father is (he could be the one watching them) so that's another one to watch out for. This next episode is going to have me on pins and needles.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit.........nooooooo. Then that is even more unbelievable. Shame on the writers, they must have been straight out of writing class. Bad, bad, bad. Thanks for letting me know it got worse.

Good points on Baptiste, it's all over the place. And out of the blue, they throw in you know what about you know who. It's becoming a very messy hodgepodge without any satisfaction.

Ah well.

3 months ago

Baptiste is definitely on the outs with the daughter. It seems that she turned on him pretty quickly. I am assuming they didn't have the best relationship prior to this visit?

Appara, it just popped in to my head as things do out of no where, if I remember correctly Baptiste and his wife were dealing with their daughters drug problem in the first episode of The Missing? Deedee, do you remember any of this? If I am correct, this was an on-going issue for them (with her) when we first meet him.

2 months ago

Okay, this week I have been watching Hidden on Acorn TV, I was on the third episode before it finally hit me that I had watched this before... the kicker, there is only four episodes in the series! This is not good people, the brain is going. There I am in the middle of the third episode and I am thinking, wait, I have watched this before. I worry about myself sometimes.

It is not a great series and not awful, it kind of sits in the middle of the pack. It has a great cast which is its' savng grace.There is a lot of intrigue... a twenty year old coup to overthrow the government, people coming back from the dead, then there is David Suchet (say no more) and I like Philip Glenister as the lead and his friend who is played by Richard Dormer. It is the screen writing that lets this series down as there are so many loose ends and unanswered questions left hanging in the end. Yes, even the second time around I still did not find the answers. I wonder if the writers actually looked at the end product and thought about it for a minute so that they could shoot a few scenes to fill in the gaps. I can't imagine they did not see the holes.

2 months ago

Oh and what did I stumble on last night, the first episode of the new, "new guy" in Death in Paradise. It is Ralf Little, remember him from The Cafe, Deedee. We loved that series. I think he is going to be a good fit, he will need some time to get his feet planted - like those who came before him - it is always a little bumpy at first, but I see his potential. I was happy to get back to the series, it is nice to have a murder mystery that is on the lighter side to sit back and enjoy.

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Wow, not at all, Brit. I thought she was in a snit with him because of the new living conditions! If they want us to remember backstory, they should do a 'previously on'.

Don't worry too much, Brit. I have started a show on a streaming channel, only to think it vaguely familiar, and then when I skipped to the last episode, found out I had done the same thing long before. If I don't like a show, I skip ahead to the finale to confirm the show stinks. To do this twice? It's just the effect of too much going on inside our brains. NOW, more than ever.

I didn't like the look of the poster for Hidden with Suchet, so I wasn't drawn in. But I did watch the Welsh Hidden on Amazon Prime. I remember watching it, don't know if I liked it (see what I mean?), but I find the singsong Welsh language attractive.

Did you see season 9 of DIP, Brit? Not liking where they went in episode 1, seems as if Ardal is bored. I look forward to trying out the new series. I do remember the guy from The Cafe, that was comfy 'little' show that most people probably did not see!

Did they keep the IAB woman? The cast change on this show is dizzying. It reminds me of Father Brown, the show has outlived its impact, but is still nice to have around to watch.

And nope, couldn't do Belgravia, although I could see they were channelling DA. What's with the twins? I'm afraid Greig isn't cutting it for me in the lead, although she was excellent in Episodes, a much under watched show.

I look forward to The Split.

Sorry, Vera.

2 months ago
appara2
guru

Thanks Brit, I kind of thought there was a little more to the family backstory on Baptiste. I wondered if perhaps this was not his biological daughter. It just seemed that she (and her husband) show him no respect. When he first came into the apartment with baby food, there was no gratitude, it played like he was an unwelcome intrusion, someone to be tolerated.
It's just curiousity on my part, for now I don't think that it will play into the storyline in a big way.

Darn. I must have missed the first episode of Death in Paradise :(
I checked my guide and my upcoming description is the poisoned artist, which is listed here as the 2nd episode. Oh well, at least I'll know most of the team so it should be easy to get into the rhythm of the show!

2 months ago

Ralf Little comes in to the picture mid season, S9 E5. It was only by chance that I caught it. So you have a few more episodes to go before you meet him Appara. Deedee, the detective that was introduced at the end of Mooney's (Ardel O'Hanlon) run, her name is DS Madeleine Dumas, is now part of the regular cast. In this first episode with Ralf she was there, but not highlighted, the more established cast members, Officer J.P. Hooper and Ruby Patterson, were. Which I thought was a good move on their part. I became fond of Camille, so I am not too hopped up to see her replacement come in and take over. There was none of that. Meeting Ralf was enough for the first episode. At this point, we have J.P, Ruby, Catherine (now as Mayor) and Commissioner Patterson still part of the cast.

They have made good choices in replacing characters through the years and I think that things will keep flowing along with this series. It has that special something that keeps people coming back.

2 months ago

Appara, part of the issue is that Baptiste has at times strained his relationship with his family over the years. His wife seems to adore him (as he does her) and has supported him through a lot, but his dogged approach to the cases has taken its' toll on the family dynamic. That is what I think we are seeing.

2 months ago

When I started to think about his daughter and their relationship it made me realize that I did not remember much about the second season of the The Missing. I was mostly drawing a blank. I can remember almost all of S1, I think that is partly because I watched S1 week by week, where I binged watched S2, and sometimes when you do that it becomes a blur.

So, I am now re-watching S2. I am up to E3, and what a story it is! I am remembering things as I go along... it is a complicated story, you need to pay very close attention because it spans three time frames, with the majority of the story over a several year period. They do delineate the different time frames on screen, but even with that, I still find myself getting confused.

It has a great cast and the story has many twists and turns. I am starting to remember how it ends and there is no way at E3 you could quite conceive of it. This one is definitely a puzzle. The same writers wrote both seasons of "The Missing" and "Baptiste", but they definitely made a change in their direction with the latest. That I why I am disappointed, I was expecting one thing and got someone else entirely.

During S2 of "The Missing" Baptiste has a brain tumor, and even given this, or maybe because of it, he is running across the world like a crazy man standing up to the most dangerous and emotionally difficult situations. He wasn't sure if he was going to live or die, but he was going to find out the truth behind what happened to the missing girl he was looking for. There is a lot of guilt he is carrying because of his own actions regarding the case, so it weighed heavily on him.

When we meet him in the first season of "Baptiste", he has made it through his operation and is not quite the man he use to be. I need to give this story more time as I know what he is capable of and it may take on a different direction as it progresses. These are the same writers, so there may be much more up their sleeves.

2 months ago

It's just the effect of too much going on inside our brains. NOW, more than ever.

Thank you, Deedee! You are a dear friend for making me feel a bit better.

I am so sorry you didn't take to Belgravia, because I am loving it. You didn't like Harriet Walter's either? I like the play between the two actors, she and Tamsin Greig - they balance each other. At least you gave it a chance!!

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Sorry, Brit. Now, more than ever (I won't say 'uncertain times', the new Madison Ave. catchphrase, bugger them), I am impatient and intolerant, two qualities I never had a plethora of in good times.

If a show doesn't grab me, I have bugger all time for it. Of course, I DID go back to DA and loved it.

Did you ever try S****** Creek or War of the Worlds on EPIX? I was transfixed for every single minute. It was hokey and manipulative, but I can still hear the sound of the alien dogs in my head and so help me, I was out walking the dog and heard the noise - frogs, cars? - and got spooked. I can totally see how people freaked out when they heard Orson Welles' version in 1938.

On Vera, I ran out of characters and didn't have space to explain (as you saw) that it was the one with the murdered magnificent stag and dead stags (fake or otherwise) along the way. I think these more than ever days have done a job on me.

2 months ago

Okay, the kookiness continues... yes Deedee, I have been watching War of the Worlds... it is a difficult watch so I do an episode at a time and then I take a break. Maybe it is because of this - but I just discovered that I thought I had finished the series and didn't, I only watched up to E6! Yep. It did seem like they ended on an odd note to me :), there seemed like everything was still up in the air - like we were still in the middle of the story. Here I am thinking there must be a S2 planned. Maybe there is, yet I am glad to find out there is more of the story to watch now.

2 months ago

I thought last night's episode of World on Fire was very well done, the best yet. It kept my full attention. I have two questions - so, if you haven't watched as yet, read no more.

How the heck did Kasia's brother wind up at Dunkirk? The last we saw of him he was in Poland wasn't he? That seemed so off to me. It is possible he managed to travel that far, but how - they should have given us more background info.

Would it really be plausible that in during the era of World War II, they would have allowed a heavily pregnant woman entertain the troops? I can't imagine, nor could I imagine she would be wearing a dress like that if she was.

2 months ago

Soler, "Last Tango in Halifax" has gotten an air date... September 20th at 8:00 PM on PBS.

2 months ago
soler
expert

How the heck did Kasia's brother wind up at Dunkirk?

Bit of a stretch , that one Brit. H

2 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.