TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

Just checking in, how is everyone doing. I have a cold, not the virus as I am monitoring my symptoms - no fever although I have slight chest issues. I have checked my oxygen levels and I am fine, they are all clear and that is the important thing. I don't know how I got the cold, I have been in the house other that a walk outside when the weather permits for over two weeks. I have told you all I have the immune resistance of a nat, I don't overstate that to be dramatic, it just is what it is so on a regular basis I try to be aware of it. I have got myself on occicilium at the max dose to keep my immune system up. With that and rest I should be okay by next week. I am not going outside the house at all, no more walks for me for a while.

Deedee, you and I (with New York City of course taking the brunt of this epidemic at this time) are going in to the fire these next weeks. Thank God for Governor Cuomo (and Dr. Fauci). There are always those among us that rise to the occasion and give us their best, and that has been Governor Cuomo. He tells the truth, gives us the facts and let's us know that there is an adult in the room leading the way. Governor Murphy on my end is also doing all he can as well. I will say no more and leave it at that - I am sure you can read between the lines.

I have a recommendation for you on Acorn TV. I am finding the need to watch lighter things and I found the Irish series "Trivia" on Acorn TV. I know how much you enjoyed the "Detectorists" series, and Trivia is somewhat in the same vein. You may want to give it a try when you need a break from the news.

3 months ago

That should have been immune system... my head is a little fuzzy.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, PLEASE take care of yourself and get yourself to a doctor if need arises. Some people here wait too long. A cousin was lucky, he had the tooth chipping chills that Cuomo's - isn't he amazing, and I hate politicians! - brother did, and lost his sense of taste of smell and taste, but his moronic doctor told him to just stay home. He FINALLY demanded a test yesterday but he is feeling better. Another acquaintance of hubby died, and still another acquaintance is better after 10 days in hospital.

This thing kicks ass and takes names. I hope someone brighter than he who is between the lines is looking for a cure and/or treatment.

I 'think' I watched Trivia awhile ago, is it an old show? Very good, if I remember correctly. I'll have to rewatch it, I need a break from the VERY good, VERY dark War of the Worlds.

I am watching the final episodes of the show no one watches, ******* Creek, and it is a tear jerking wonder. I also catch an episode here and there of Better Things, and outside of the rotten daughters, Pamela Aldon can act the pants off a lot of acts. Have you seen Once Upon A Time? No older women in it, of course, even though every actor under the sun had a cameo. Excellent ending.

Oh, and I waited SO long for Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears. P.U. 'nuff said.

Merritt Wever has a new show coming out called RUN, on HBO. Can't wait. If you like Bill Hader (he of the excellent Barry) and out there movies, watch Skeleton Twins. Not a light movie.

Stay well, Brit.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Ugh. Actors, not acts.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, not Once Upon A Time.

3 months ago

I will Deedee, thanks. My concern is that I have a slight dry cough, which to date has not gotten any worst (and I have no fever). I don't have enough symptoms to be tested at this point. The fact that the availability of testing it is still almost non existent to the general public is the alarming thing. What a mess we are in. You are so right, this virus is a scourge.

The Hubs watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, he liked it. He agrees about the ending. I have seen some of the earlier episodes of ******* Creek, as you had mentioned it a while back and I watched a few here and there through the seasons. I will check the final episodes out, I'll get myself caught up with the storyline beforehand.

Oh, and I waited SO long for Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears. P.U. 'nuff said.

I have wanted to ask you about Miss Fisher! I know how much you have been looking forward to it. What a disappointment to hear this. The movie is the last you will see of Phryne, correct? There are no other movies in the works?

3 months ago

Oh I wanted to mention to you, if you decide to start watching Lovejoy, just be aware that it takes about three episodes for the series to start to gel together. I found things start to pick up around E4. It does seem quite dated at first, but as things roll on you get into the stories. I have to say it is a good feeling to see the characters/actors so young and to relive the time again. The music, clothes and general attitude is so different to our world today - it may not have been so great at the time - the first season was done in the late '80's and to be honest, I don't think of the '80's with fond memories, but the nostalgia is there, I can't help falling prey to it. I do have very fond memories of the '90's though, that was my heyday, and the following seasons all take place in those years.

Every time I watch I always wish I had had gotten more involved in antiquing, even though I am not really a big one on antiques as a whole. I find it all so intriguing though. As you know the main style of furniture in my home is Biedermeier/French Empire (a 90's thing) and, although out of fashion, I love it and it is staying with me. I am modernizing the functional rooms of the house slowly (kitchen and bathrooms) and the mix is working well to my eye. I find they do this really well in French design, and I am trying to do this in my own home. I did buy a few books the last time I watched Lovejoy, a number of years ago, and started to study period furniture.

In the late 90's early 2000's I was very interested in the architectural salvage business. I loved the stuff and thought quite seriously about it. Today, it is a dead industry, but in those days ornate curtains and drapes, architectural salvage and the "more is better approach" to decorating was the norm. How I miss it! I have decorating magazines I have saved from that time and still inhale the beauty of those glorious rooms. I have a subscription to "English Home" and I find that the layered look, with lovely fabrics; worn, loved furniture and fabulous accessories - give me a beautiful piece of china, please :) - is still alive and well. Bless the English.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

Now's the time to have a brandy Hot-toddy as a nightcap Brit? I find that it seems to help with recovery from a cold. Of course, if you are on other medications omit the brandy 'cause I also hear that hot water with lemon and honey are beneficial. I myself prefer adding the brandy! LOL

It's great to hear the numbers in recovery going up every day, altho my heart breaks for the families that have lost loved ones. I could not imagine not being allowed to say my goodbyes.

I have Run (HBO) and World on Fire (PBS) on my upcoming schedule, and Killing Eve (hopefully not long after the American premiere airs).

Stay safe and stay strong my friends!!

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

No word on other movies, Brit. Frankly, if they don't get back to BAU in OZ, I won't bother again. This was an utter waste of cast and funds.

I am saving Lovejoy for a calmer day, and I know you mentioned Morse, I have no idea when I will be able to rewatch that show. Silly, I know.

Right now, I have been immersed in War of the Worlds, and even though the finale was a disappointment, and they were quite confident of a second season and left us all hanging, I probably will watch a second season.

I look forward to Ozark and Bosch.

No, I didn't know the style of your house, I only fell in love with the stairs! I do know your design is very House Beautiful, and I give you gobs of credit for your work. Mine was 'buy all the furniture at one time from a furniture store and be done with it'. Luckily we tied the knot MANY years ago and the furniture was quality, not made overseas.

app ara, glad your back. I agree on the toddy part. I can't wait to get back to my favorite restaurant, takeout pizza doesn't cut it if one is looking forward to a meal (and cocktail) out of an evening.

I too am looking forward to Run, with my discovery Merritt Wever.

Stay safe and STAY INSIDE, everyone.

3 months ago
sindhu0123

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

3 months ago
clara1

3 months ago

Thanks Deedee, interior design has always been a hobby (and passion). Understand entirely about the older pieces being of a quality that is hard to come by today (with out an exorbitant custom price tag). This is why I am hanging on to my decent pieces.

I am in the middle of S3 E1 of Morse, "Ghost in the Machine". Patricia Hodge is starring in it, I didn't actually check the dates, but she looks to be about the age of her " Portia of our Chambers" years in Rumpole. Isn't it nice that you all know exactly what I mean in saying that without explanation... old PBS'ers that we are. She was quite the beauty and still is.

War of the Worlds... I thought the penultimate episode's ending was more than was necessary - more than a bit over the top with the excruciatingly long shot of the pregnant woman floating in the lake. I think they saw that as being artistic, I beg to differ.

The whole "love story" I found questionable at first, but upon thinking about it more, from the human perspective of the circumstances they are living in, it is realistic. I wasn't so much disappointed by the finale episode as much as I was surprised because I thought we were going to get some closure, and there was none to be had. Yes, apparently they are expecting another season, I had no idea - I thought this was a one and done. I probably will watch the second season as well. As all out depressing as the storyline is, it does get a hold of you doesn't it. I need to steel up for each new one and yet I can't quite walk away.

Raised hand here on the hot-toddy. Cold or no cold!

Oh, talking about pizza... the hubs came up with this idea that we drive to AC, pick up a pizza from Tony's Baltimore Grill and stop and eat it at a rest stop on the AC Expressway 'cause he was hankering for a piece of Tony's pizza. Now, that is a fifty minute trip for us... well with no traffic and the hubs driving my vehicle, probably thirtyfive. :) Still, too long to let the pizza sit in the car, so we would have to make a pit stop while it was still warm.

For a hot minute I almost agreed! I reminded him that this was not a good idea given that we all must do our part to stay home and this was a totally unnecessary trip. He saw the folly in it but the things we will do (or dream of doing) for a slice of pizza.

3 months ago
soler
expert

I am in the middle of S3 E1 of Morse, "Ghost in the Machine". Patricia Hodge is starring in it,

Brit
does Patricia Hodge play the wife of an aristocrat in this ep. I seem to remember a line that Morse delivered to Lewis in the car while driving up to the estate …. " These people think we exist only to be their servants. " Don't know if it was in this ep. thou. No one plays stuffy better than Patricia . lol Did ya catch ' World on Fire ' last night on PBS ? Lesley Manville is in it. She's in a sitcom called ' Mum ' on Sat. nights.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

I think I'm going to enjoy World on Fire. I didn't watch any promo's so it's going to be a journey into the unknown.
On a shallow note, one thing that struck me was that Helen Hunt has aged, and that's probably 'cause the last thing I saw her in was Twister! LOL

3 months ago

does Patricia Hodge play the wife of an aristocrat in this episode.

Yes, she does, Soler, this is the episode you are thinking of. And, that is exactly what Morse says when he and Lewis first drive up to the estate. Good memory! Patricia Hodge's plays haughty like no other. She could freeze water with just a stare and when she opens her mouth she makes you shiver!

I don't have Mum airing by me. I have heard good things about this series and I really like Lesley Manville... I bet I would enjoy it.

I am going to skip World of Fire. Promos did not grab me. If you think I should reconsider, let me know.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Noticed that appara … looked at her and said , ' She looks familiar ' .. then realized it was Helen Hunt .. why do I think that everybody ages but me . LOL she has not aged well in my opinion. Brit … Remember one time I skipped a show thinking I would have no interest … watched ep. 3 or 4 just for fun and regretted not having seen from the beginning . Can't think of what show that was. Remember ' Home Fires ' , in which Francesca Annas played that bit*hy character , well, Lesley Manville plays a similar role in ' World on Fire' . much different than her role in ' Mum ' . Will have to watch another ep. or 2 ta see if I will stick to the series but so far so good. Oh , just as some background , Hunt plays a spunky American news paper reporter in Poland just as the Nazi's are invading Poland, her papers office in Paris is begging her to get out but she holds on ta get ' the story ''.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

I think I'll enjoy World on Fire cause it's more about the people than about the military. As per usual the first episode is to set up the characters... and there are a lot of them!

3 months ago
petewhiddon2

3 months ago

I did turn on World on Fire last night... having to watch the Nazi's try to take over the world is at the top of my list as one of the most hated sights to see - so, there is that. I am going to give it another week as I want to see how the characters develop.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

Aha! Brit, now we can hate-watch or like-watch! Either way there just might be a little bit of a chat going on!
:D

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Pizza is currently our only faux restaurant meal during solitary confinement. Many very nice restaurants offer their meals as take out, but it ain't the same! I want to be seated AWAY from my kitchen table, with a drink in front of me, so I can exhale. Fortunately, the pizza travels and can be put in a toaster oven.

I caught a few of the show Mum, and was not enamored. I like the female lead and I know you like Peter Mullan as much as I, Brit. But explain to me why the couple doesn't do what the heck they want and tell the others in the house to get stuffed? Or, even better, move out of the house? Or, if the house belongs to Manville, sell it and put the others out on the street? Same with the John Cleese show, kick the adult son to the curb.

Are Brits more tolerant of doormats? And, for some reason, find them funny?

3 months ago

Deedee, I think I would feel the same about both situations. I haven't seen either show, so I can't give a true opinion, but in those circumstances I would be saying the same thing as you. I lose patience with people who allow themselves to be doormats, and I see no humor in it either. Shame as both series have good casts and generally I would be delighted to watch. We will see (if either series become available by me).

Just a reminder, Baptiste this Sunday, April 12, at 10:00 PM.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Baptiste. Now there's a show I look forward to.

A Place To Call Home is being resown on WLIW, have you seen it on your PBS? The mother annoyed me so much the first time around, I didn't enjoy it as much as I am now. Isn't it sad that we have to seek out shows where the female character is either empowered, independent, not whining to get married or in the workplace simply to land a husband, or otherwise a 'doormat'?

It isn't 1947, when my mother was none of those. I don't get it.

3 months ago

Deedee, I watched the first episode of Deadwater Fell on Acorn TV. The have been advertising this as "the new Broadchurch" which (of course) perked up my interest because you know how much I loved the first two seasons of Broachurch! The third season I could have done without. Anyway, it stars David Tennant who unfortunately is not the detective in this series, but the sole surviving family member of a tragic fire. Or, so we are led to believe in E1... but is he? This is going to be another story where we peel away at the truth slowly and I am sure things are never quite what they seem.

Acorn TV is doling this out one episode a week, I am okay with that as I have something to look forward to each week rather than to devour it at one full swoop.

So far, so good. I am looking forward to seeing where we are going with this one.

No Dee, A Place to Call Home is not airing by me. WLIW is usually the first when it comes to putting forth new programs in the metro area and many times the series you get never makes it down my way.

3 months ago

I have an opportunity to re-watch the first season of Inspector Morse thanks to Prime as they are streaming it for free until the end of April. I had told you all that I had missed the first season because I was late in finding out that Morse was being aired. Well, last night I watched The "Silent World of Nicholas Quinn" and guess who it starred.... Clive Swift! It was so, so good to see him in his prime in a meaty role other than poor Richard! I will be honest, I am not remembering the stories, I know bits and pieces here and there, and I remember a character or two, but most of what I am seeing I have no remembrance of. I forgot all about Clive Swift, totally - so, I was thrilled when I saw him. A young Barbara Flynn, having the cherub face of youth, was also prominent in the story. There were a few other familiar faces as well.

This is among the best of the Morse episodes. At first I was kind of thinking, oh, I know this story, not going to be much to surprise me here. Wrong! As it is one of the most well known stories of the canon, I am sure everyone thinks they remember it as I did. It is so multi- layered and well developed that I found myself getting drawn in like it was my first time watching it. Simple story it is not.

Oh, I saw Colin Dexter's cameo again! I skipped "The Dead of Jericho", that was never a favorite of mine, actually, it is the episode I put at the bottom of my Morse list. I do not care for Gemma Jones in her role as Morse's love interest. She irritated me the both times I watched it in the past. I am at the point (in life) where if I don't really want to watch something I move on.

Another thing, the clarity of the episode was fine. I had found the first few of S2 to be rather grainy, and figured it was the same in S1. No, it was fine to watch, no graininess to be had.

3 months ago

Happy Easter to everyone celebrating. Thinking of you all. Don't forget good TV viewing tonight and for those with access, Belgravia on Epix.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .. hope you had a happy Easter as well .. bet you'rs was a quiet one like every one else. Good TV viewing last night as you say .. started off with a surprise of an ep. of ' Last Tango ' even watched ' Call The Midwife ' thou not really my show , then went on to ' World on Fire ' and finished up with Baptista . Getting more drawn in by World on Fire , wondering if Leslie Manville will start to soften up towards that poor Polish kid. Hope she starts to realize that kid is going thru a lot and needs some TLC . Gotta feelin' she will , and hope she will , but only time will tell. Kasia joining the resistance was no surprise after what happened to her mother and then keeping that information from her brother just shows me she is made if sterner stuff. At this point , she is at the top of my list of characters to watch. Don't know what to make of Harry at this point but will keep an open mind for now. Helen Hunt kinda puzzles me , not sure she fits in here for some reason. Good ta see Sean Bean in this one only hope he doesn't get killed .. seems ta be his pattern of late .. gets killed in everything he's in. Wasn't grabbed by first ep. of Baptista , will watch a few more ta see how it develops.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Didja watch Baptiste? Nice to see him back. Did anyone not see that coming? Engaging.

For those with HBO, Run is interesting. Merritt Wever is SO good. I have a question after you've all seen episode one.

That's about it, all the other stuff is costume dramas.

3 months ago

Gee Soler, you were on a marathon! I only got in two series last night... I got caught up with Saturday's Morse episode - the man had a tooth ache in this one and was drinking like a fish. I don't know how he was standing up half the time, he was drinking morning, noon and night - and then moved on to Baptiste. I plan on getting caught up with World on Fire tonight. Your description of the episode encourages me to watch, so thank you for that as you know I was very iffy after watching the first episode.

Okay, now Baptiste... first, was anyone surprised that the Romanian wasn't there to read the meter in the opening of the story. No, me either. That was the best they could have come up with?

Beyond this, you all know how much I have been looking forward to this series, I have been waiting with baited breath, I have mentioned it umpteenth times and have sang its' praises from the roof top.

I love the character of Baptiste... love. As the production continues we will see his cunning and tenacity develop I am sure. He starts as a slow burn, it takes time to see him at his full potential. It did in The Missing, his last series, as well. That being said, I hate, absolutely hate this storyline. I am so devastated disappointed in what I saw last night.

For me, it is such a disgusting, upsetting and dissolute storyline.. among the ones I hate the most. Watching the less than leeches human trafficker's go about their business is sickening to the core. You all know me well enough to know I call it as I see it, and as much as I have done a dance about this series, it was excruciating to watch this first episode. Oh, how I wish they had chosen another storyline.

3 months ago

This series has an early Kenneth Branagh Wallander feel to me. As you all know, I did not care for those episodes either. It wasn't until the last season that I embraced that series. To me, Tom Hollander is completely miscast. Did not like his performance one iota, I found him totally unconvincing and he seemed to be reaching trying to fill the roll. Again, what were they thinking, were they watching the same performance as I? If they were they needed to get him to right the ship. Maybe they do as we continue, we will see. Poor choice for the role as far as I am concerned.

No Deedee, I did not see that coming at the end, and for that, and Baptiste, I am continuing on. I think we are going to be continually surprised by the twists in this story. I just hope that I can deal with it as it continues, I may have to FF through what I can't.

I will check out "Run", I need to find something to watch that fills the void my disappointment in Baptiste has left. You know, the Swedish Wallander has tackled very difficult storylines and I have watched those episodes several times over and was able to absorb and continue on with them. It is all in the writing and production as there is a certain finesse required in showing the viewer the baseness of life as its lowest level to bring a better understanding and an awareness of the evil humans are capable of.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

Now that I have figured out all the character connections I enjoyed this 2nd episode of World on Fire! I too think TheMomma is going to soften towards Yan, he is a cutie! Question-Why was Harry fired? Because he married her to save her and her family? And wouldn't that have made it harder, if not impossible, for him to get back into the military?
I am already dreading the outcome of the little girl with seizures!!
I think that Kasia is going to be the most interesting of the storylines.

Baptiste, on the other hand, had my attention from the get-go. I knew the old man was in trouble the minute he let the 'meter reader' in the door. I have to clue as to why he was on the hit list?? Or, why 'someone' needed his head. I also missed the clues that Stratton was not the concerned 'uncle' or that the big boss would be so successful at hiding 'his' identity!! Oh, just so much happening all through this first episode...I love it!! The sex-trade aspect adds urgency in a way that no other storyline could? It seems so foreign to see the picture window framing of the women on the streets!

Run, billed as a black comedy did not hit the right notes with me, I failed to see the humour.
There has to be a reason she doesn't want to answer questions about her family life. She appeared to know about his life, but he seems to know very little about hers. If the next episode doesn't add something a little more interesting to hold my attention I probably won't continue with this series.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I am SO glad you disliked Baptiste as much as I. I like Hollander in his performances, but in this, he was 'off'. His 'niece'? Come on, Baptiste, you either need to spend more time in America where Sugar Daddies and nieces abound, or call me. But Hollander? It was as if he loathed his character as much as I did. Like the last The Sinner season, I'll keep at it, but only for Tcheky Karyo.

Will there ever be a time when series aren't focused on victimized women and girls and animals? I swear, if that guy in the poppy field found his dog dead, I would have been outta there like a shot.

They were showing Wallander with Kenneth B. on late night PBS, and holy mackerel, did I hate what they did to his character. Much like I hate what they did to George G., although I read about it, I won't watch it. Much as I won't watch Curtain! Hah, I need to rule the world of television.

Romanian, meter reading? Guess I need to watch it again for that, I must have come in late. And boy are you right, GOOD writers can allude to the baseness and disgustingness of the world, I don't need it smack in my face.

I agree app ara. If not for Wever, I would be gone. Seriously, after 19 years, this guy is the best you can come up with? And seriously, WOULD a mother leave 2 kids for that sleaze ball? I'll stick with it simply for Wever, but I'm surprised she took the job. P.S. The reviews are not kind. Phoebe Waller-Bridge did better work with Fleabag. Ah well.

S*** Creek, I will miss you. SO much better.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit ……. Morse and his drinking LOL .. used to love the scenes where Chief Super. Strange would get on his case about it. He'd get up in his face and say " Am I going to half ta smell your breath every morning ". Never slowed him down from solving a case thou. I love the character of Baptiste... love. As the production continues we will see his cunning and tenacity develop I am sure. He starts as a slow burn, it takes time to see him at his full potential. It did in The Missing, his last series, as well. That being said, I hate, absolutely hate this storyline. I am so devastated disappointed in what I saw last night. I will not give up on Baptiste but got to admit , got off to a rocky start .. it's the slow burn you describe that I will work thru . Can ya help me with something .. nodded off the last ten minutes or so … so I missed the end .. did something surprising happen involving Baptiste ? Did not put this on DVR so I'm hangin'. Remember that guy the Romanian meter reader killed being in a recent ep. I watched on Midsomer.

3 months ago
soler
expert

I am already dreading the outcome of the little girl with seizures!!

appara did ya see how uneasy the mother was and the blank stares from the other people in the theatre . This reminds me of a series called ' The Man in the High Castle ' starring Rufus Sewell that I watched a few years ago . If you have not seen it , it was set in the mid 1960's .. on the premise that the Nazi's and Japan won World War II . That little girls fate would be that she would have been reported to the ' Ministry of Health ' to be euthanized . To make a long story short Rufus Sewell was a good little Nazi High Commander who had no problem with the euthanizing policy until his own teenage son was stricken with an incurable illness. Full 180 LOL His ruthless cover up tactics were text book.

3 months ago

I swear, if that guy in the poppy field found his dog dead, I would have been outta there like a shot.

And there I was as I was watching that scene saying to myself, oh no, please do not go there... if that dog dies Deedee is done… she is done. That would have pushed me over the edge as well. I am sitting at home watching a show and I know what your reaction is going to be. What does that say about us! You can't say that this small group is not attached to one another, when I watch one of "our shows" you are all watching with me.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Thank you, Brit!

It says we are all good friends, and I am glad. Did Alastair answer you?

3 months ago

... it's the slow burn you describe that I will work thru . Can ya help me with something .. nodded off the last ten minutes or so … so I missed the end .. did something surprising happen involving Baptiste ?

You have to give Baptiste a chance to get in to gear, Soler. He is tenacious, there is nothing dramatic about him, it is all experience. Calm and dogged in his approach, once he gets in to a case he goes the distance. I am trying to think of someone (a detective) that I can compare him to, and can't quite. Do not let his calm demeanor fool you, this is a man who knows his business.

That first episode was a poor one to say the least. If you can give it a bit more time we should see him rise to the top. I do feel strongly that Tom Hollander's performance is much to blame for this, the mix of he and Tcheky Karyo is not a good one. Karyo is an excellent actor, but he can not make up for Hollander's floundering.

Now, you missed one of the most important parts in that last ten minutes!! Spoilers... The young woman that Hollander is looking for is not his niece... why he is looking for her we don't know yet. And Hollander (Stratton) has a man's head sitting on a shelf in his basement. Yep, he is not who we think he is, not in the least. It looks to be the man that was killed by the Romanian thug/meter reader. It seems this story is going to go in another direction entirely than the one we would have first though, this is not about a missing person - the niece - but something else entirely.

3 months ago

I am realizing something quite disturbing. You all know I watch quite a bit of international programing... Italian, French, Swedish, Danish. There have been numerous stories I have watched that have dealt with human trafficking; children, young woman, laborers... across the board, no matter which country the series comes from, what I am finding disturbing is in the majority of cases the traffickers are from Eastern Europe. This is very telling. Not the place to go in to a discussion of this here, but when you have stories from countries as diverse as Italy and Sweden that all have this commonality it is saying something to take note of.

3 months ago

Okay, now to World on Fire. I thought the second episode was well produced.. the photography, the flow of the story, it was well done. I agree with you all Kasia is the most interesting of the characters and I do like Lesley Manville in her role as the uppity mom. Watching this story you can really understand why they call these individuals "the Greatest Generation". What they had to endure and fight through. Where would we be today without the strength of those that came before us. (Soler, the story you cited, The Man in the High Castle.) It is hard to watch, but it was much, much harder to live. God Bless them.

I have this feeling that we are not going to see the end of Harry and Lois, after their intimate encounter my first thought is now she is going to become pregnant and things are going to become even messier. Anyone else think this?

I am not feeling any attachment to any of the other characters other than Kasia at this point. I am going to continue on to the next episode to see where the story is going, it is still up in the air if I will continue to the end.

I too have an uneasy feeling about Campbell's neighbor's child. Yes Soler, it is an interesting phenomenon that we humans can often care less about something until that something hits home. I have been saying this a lot recently as we have been battling our way through this pandemic.

Appara, I too was confused about what action Harry took that made him lose his job... was it marrying Kasia, or taking her brother to Britain - or both. He was a interpreter, so I can't quite understand how these actions affected that role.

3 months ago
soler
expert

what I am finding disturbing is in the majority of cases the traffickers are from Eastern Europe.

Brit … I frequently read the Daily Mail on line and one thing I have noticed is that England and London in particular has a hugh problem with Eastern European gangs . I blame the EU . Every citizen from any E.U. country can move to any other E.U. country . They can just walk in and put their feet up. These gangs are vicious , they set up their criminal empire in the U.K. while maintaining property in their home countries and living a life of luxury . Spend half the time in their home country and half in the U.K. Since the U.K. left the E.U. last January I suspect things will now change as they will now have complete control of their borders. Since the Netherlands is part of the E.U. that ' meter reader ' character would feel quite at home there.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Sooo Brit... the Midsomer guy turns up again , even if it's just on the shelf. Sounds like there's more to his story. Stratton not looking for his ' niece ' at all … than who is she really ??? Missed a lot by that nod - off . LOL Thanks for the up-date . Ten minutes can change everything. lol

3 months ago
appara2
guru

I didn't find this first episode of Baptiste to be slow at all, but I also didn't get to see the first series the Missing? where i presume he was on his own turf.
I am looking forward to finding out why the head is on the shelf, who the girl really is, how the necklace got in the field, how the 'uncle' has enough pull with the Amsterdam police to get Baptiste off the sofa while on vacation..... yeah, not my definition of slow! LOL

3 months ago

Soler, I am so sorry to hear the shocking news so close to your home. My God, what a tradegy. I just want you to know I am thinking of you and the people of Nova Scotia. We in the US know first hand how devastating this time is for you. My heart goes out to you and your neighbors, my friend.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Thank you , Brit … for your kind words . You often hear people say who have these tragedies , ' This always happens someplace else ' , now people are saying that here . Only person identified is the lady RCMP officer who has a husband and 2 children . Feel so sorry for them. What makes this worse is that because of Covid I heard on the radio that there will be no funerals , no memorials . . Communities can't come together to grieve with the families , it will be grieving alone and that makes it all so much worse. That road side restaurant and gas bar where gunman was cornered is a place I know well as I drop off to get coffee or tea when I 'm on a road trip .

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

So sorry, sober. Incomprehensible. Glad the cops were able to dispatch the madman without any further horror.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Yes dee .. this nut job had a car that looked like a police car , couldn't tell the difference . Was wearing a police uniform .. that must be a first for a mass shooter .. count now is up to 19 dead.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Sorry, I should have checked, sol er, not sober of course. SO terrible. We were only in Halifax, NS, a long time ago, on a cruise line's maiden voyage to NS. We were greeted with bagpipes. The people were so nice, so genteel. I always wanted to go back, never made it.

Be well, sol er.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Well dee ,, Nova Scotia is latin for New Scotland ...... so lots of bagpipes here in summer.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

I could not believe what I was watching when the story hit the news here in the west. We will likely never know what set him off, the rumour is possibly an issue with his girlfriend? Mental illness is hard to detect, so really no way anyone could have predicted something like this happening.
Condolences to all the the friends and family of the victims. Chilling that it was in a place that you know Soler :(

There really is some beautiful countryside in NS!
My ex's family is from in and around the Halifax area, so I have travelled that way in the past. Speaking of bagpipes, his uncle came out west to 'pipe' us in and out of the church for our wedding. The neighbors were not impressed with his practicing at 7am! LOL

3 months ago
soler
expert

Gonna be a while ta get it all sorted appara ….. 16 crime scenes spread out over 90 kilometers . Expect death toll ta climb when they search thru all those burnt down houses. Some think it was his ex getting a new boyfriend that set him off but I don't think so .. he had been planning it a long time with that fake cop car and uniform he had. WEIRD … Bagpipes at 7 …. not a good mix . lol Getting more drawn into Baptiste and World on Fire .. two good ep. Sunday night , more later.

3 months ago
appara2
guru

Soler, when they showed the faces of some of the victims during the newscast last night it makes it all too real, and all too close to home!

I am done with Run, I can't bring myself to care why either of them 'ran'

In World on Fire TheMomma put her scary-ness to good use! The english lesson was a surprise to her, she didn't seem to want to give the photo back to Yan? It has to be something that reminds her of her dead husband that keeps her at arms length and so nasty to Harry?
I was ready to chuck Tom off the boat, then at the end he seemed to gain some humanity. I might end up liking that boy after all!
I saw the switch flip in Kasias eyes when they tortured and killed her friend. She is going to be a force to be reckoned with. I just hope she doesn't get too reckless!! Could Kasia, Harry and Lois all end up at the same location?

In this second episode of Baptiste those single threads of information are making some connections! I think I'm figuring out most of them as they appear, but I'm probably not as smart as I think I am LOL!
I have a theory about Neils (the young copper working the Romanian syndicate), the head in the basement and why Stratton wanted the girl-----but I will wait till all that are following this mystery are caught up.

3 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.