TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

Another thing I forgot to tell you.... the "No Passport Required" episode tonight - Italian food in Philadelphia. You know South Philly is an Italian mecca. A must watch for me. I will be making a list.

4 months ago

People a feast is coming!!

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/masterpiece-mystery-whats-coming-in-2020/#

Soler, Baptiste is coming to Masterpiece Mystery! This is the series I have been telling you about! I had heard it was going to Netflix, this is utter news to me. Deedee, I know you are happy, we have been waiting for this. Who hoo! Appara, are you coming on this ride with us, great season ahead. And to think, five years ago they said Masterpiece Mystery was dead!

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Oh excellent, Brit. A face that I can warm to, not cringe at like the new DIP Guy or the new Grantchester guy. Truth be told, I didn't like the old GC guy.

And the scuttlebutt on Endeavour on I Heart British TV, good grief. But you're right, someone at PBS decided to compete with the streaming channels.

Good-o!

4 months ago
appara2
guru

Wow! The writeups sound delicious! I have tagged them all...except Grantchester, I'm skipping that one.
I caught a note on Endeavour, he's airing in the UK on Feb9th so hopefully he's quick to come across the pond!

4 months ago

... someone at PBS decided to compete with the streaming channels.

About time! Had PBS the foresight to have picked up a few series like Vera, which is on its' 10th year going on its' eleventh (I think), instead of letting Acorn and Britbox fight over them, they would have had a larger stable of shows to carry forward as part of their Mystery season (today) much like the old days with Morse, Poriot, Miss M. and so many others that had good runs.

Endeavour will soon be over, the line-up of fan favorites that PBS can count on to bring in the audience has dwindled to one, only Grantchester is left. Now they have no choice but to move themselves, and that means being more aggresive about sourcing shows beyond those they produce themselves.

4 months ago

Brit, I guess you follow I Heart British TV on F/B? They said they got tons of negative comments about Sanditon. I haven't stopped on it at all, since I dislike costume dramas.

Yes, I do. I know you are not a fan of costume drama, though Downton got ya eventually :), Sanditon would not be your thing. I've read the reviews on the Masterpiece FB page... there are those who are clamoring for a second series, so it did find an audience, these are the people who have largely continued to comment.

The people who didn't take to the adaption said so early on and let it go. The middle roaders like myself have stayed quiet. I am not going to sour PBS' attempt to carry on productions like these (or an Andrew Davies production for that matter, the man has given us so much) because if PBS doesn't do it, who will? This is the type of production I look to PBS to keep alive. Not everything is going to be a hit out of the park for me. I am watching it for what it is and not expecting too much. I will tell you all how I truly feel, but I rather not dissuade the PTB over there from bringing us more like this in the future.

4 months ago

Deedee, I watched E7 of Giri/Haji last night. OMG, what a mess things are! If it could go wrong it went wrong, except for the rescue mission, and even with that a body was left behind. Those Japanese gangsters are worst than the plague. They kill everyone in their wake. This is one violent story... mesmerizing, addictive, different, but violent. There will not be a soul alive that has come in to contact with Kenzo, Yuto and Taki by the end. Actually, they are the plague.

I don't know what Rodney was thinking, I know he was only trying to help, but what another disaster and for nothing. You were spot on about the actor portraying him, Will Sharpe. He is getting great press, his performance in the series is being talked about. He has gone on to star in a comedy/ drama that is getting good reviews on IMDB. Good for him.

Coming up for air again before I watch the finale.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Is Will getting good press? Excellent, he deserves it. Defending the Guilty? It's already been renewed for a second season and we still don't have it, even in streaming.

I'm so glad I recommended it to Brit. I hesitated because it was SO bloody, but it was too good to let go by without some press. Because I doubt it had many American viewers.

LOL, I envy you, not yet having seen the finale. There are very few shows that have you on the edge of your seat, pausing so the show lasts longer!

I still have not found a show worth streaming.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

But hey, Season 3 of The Sinner with Bill Pullman is on. Happened upon it by accident, I look weird freaky deaky shows and this fits the bill.

On the USA Network.

4 months ago

It's been a rainy day, sun just finally crept out. I've been watching the latest season (S4) of "Landscape Artist of the Year" on Ovation (perfect day for it), a Peter Bowles' sitcom and the first episode of "Lovejoy". Nice to see Mr. Bowles and Ian Mcshane in their prime again. Where does the time go! A Billy Idol song was playing in the background (in Lovejoy) and he mentioned Lady Di. We are back in 1986.

Deedee, have you tried that new series on Netflix, "The Stranger". I have read some good comments on FB from various tv group members, not sure it is something I would like. If you take a look at it, let me know what you think.

4 months ago

Soler, Barry Jackson is in the Lovejoy episode. He's playing the inspector. This was done approximately eleven years before Midsomer.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Can't wait to watch Lovejoy again. I didn't like Westworld or whatever the heck he was in at all.

I loved Tink.

Thanks, I will try out The Stranger and weigh in. When I see a photo shoot of young pretty faces, I am usually put off.

Meanwhile, Baptiste warms my heart.

Saw Cold River rerun of Vera last night for the umpteenth time, and when she replaces her Mac at the end? Perfection.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Ahhhhh Brit … haven't seen a Lovejoy in ages . Would love ta see something Barry Jackson was in from the 80's . dee .. I'm thinking Ian McShane was in a western series called ' Deadwood ' . It was about a mining town in South or North Dakota in it's early days of development. . Ta say this was not you're average western but a very adult show is an understatement.

4 months ago

The movie reboot of Deadwood camed out last year. It will probably hit cable in tbe next six months or so. Deadwood was not my thing either, though you all know I have been an Ian McShane fan since way back from his Disraeli days on PBS. Long.... time ago. I did see enough of Deadwood to know that McShane was in a class of his own with it. Very adult as Soler says, he was superb, he carried that role off like no one else could.

4 months ago

I throughly enjoyed the first episode of Lovejoy. Watching it warmed my heart, it was like reliving a little piece of my past again. I was looking at Lady Jane's hair (so eighties) and reminiscing about that same look we all wore in those days. Between that and Billy Idol, it was de'ja` vu.

One of the nice things about streaming is that where I may not bother to pull out the DVD, or even think of rewatching an oldie like this, when it is offered in front of me at the click of a button, I will jump on it at a whim. And, sometimes it grabs me all over again.

The interesting thing is that the first series is really an entity of its' own as it was produced in 1985 and aired in 1986. It wasn't until 1991 that the second series was aired, five years later. McShane being five years older, the whole cast actually, does have an impact on the series. There is a bit more purity to the first year that I am realizing watching it again.

I found myself getting engrossed in the gentle mystery and the banter between the characters. I will definately be reliving more of the Lovejoy years in the coming months, savoring it slowly when the mood hits.

4 months ago

Oh my, I just saw the trailer for the new "Emma" adaption coming out this month. It looks like such great fun! Fabulous cast... I may have to rethink my past opinion regarding waiting to view on cable, this looks like a must for the large screen. Can't believe I am saying this about an Emma adaption! Just goes to show that it pays to keep an opened mind.

I have finished the first part of the "Emergence" finale and moving on to the second. They certaining keep giving us twist and turns. Going back in for the finish!

4 months ago

Emergence Finale.... Spoilers

That was a fairytale ending to the season. I could have gone either way, I kind of thought Piper would be gone at the end, so I was not too upset when she made the decision to protect everyone, this is what I expected her to do, then when Alex came up with his idea to bring her back, and of course it worked, I was happy about that as well.

The whole family is back together (again) and when Piper opened her eyes, we are left knowing that there probably is another season coming, albeit with some changes. Alex will be off working in another city, with all that entails, and Jo will be coming to terms with her feelings for him and Brooks.

I like Brooks, as I do Alex, at this point I think it would be best for her to move on with her life. If she truly wanted to work on her relationship with Alex she would know this without the hesitation. It is only fair, given this, and her growing feelings for Brooks, to let Alex loosen the strings and build a life of his own. These are people who love one another and stand by each other, they have a solid family dynamic which is not going away, just evolving.

There is a bit of overacting on Jo's part this last episode. She thought Brooks was being overly dramatic when he first kissed her... that scene with Chris having to pull her away fron Benny, when she (and we) know there was nothing that could be done for him, was a little over the top. Yes, we know Jo has a big heart, but it was an overplayed moment that needed to be toned down a smidge. :)

4 months ago

I finished Landscape Portrait Artist of the Year (2018) on Ovation. I look forward to the new season each year. Landscape art is my preference, I am drawn to it, so I take this series to heart. I mull over the paintings and the artists with each new competition, taking it very seriously I must admit.

I am rather disappointed in the final commission this season, the artist herself is lovely and although would not have been my choice, did a piece at the request of the show as part of the semi final challenge that exhibited a special quality that had to be noted whether a fan of her style or not. It was this submission that swayed the judges in her direction I am pretty sure, but her final commissioned piece did not live up to the striking essence of this piece. It was overworked, almost too emotional, I think.

We get a glimpse of her working on the piece and there is a moment that we see it unfinished (in her eyes) and quite honestly it was almost perfect. It needed a bit of tweaking at that stage I understand, but a light hand, as the color and sense of the space was spot on (in an abstract way). She went too far and she lost some of this essence which was pretty spectacular. Art is subjective, so there will be those that will of course disagree with me, but deep down I got feeling that the judges thought the same thing, they could not (and would not) say this though. I kept thinking as they showed her working on the unfinished piece several times from a long shot at the end of the episode, that someone is making a statement here, be it the editor or director - they want us to see this.

I am nothing more than a lover of art, I know nothing about the art of painting, so this is nothing more than my gut reaction to the piece.

4 months ago

Ovation is now airing Mystery Mornings, with a different mystery series shown everyday throughout the week. I give this channel a lot of credit for staying on course and providing an alternative to PBS for this programming. Familiar series such as Midsomer Murders, Miss Fisher, Murduch Mysteries, and The Librarians (which I have not seen) are being shown.

In addition, here are the upcoming mystery series that will be airing on the channel this year.

https://www.ovationtv.com/ovation-deepens-the-mystery-with-eleven-titles-from-dcd-rights-including-six-films-and-five-drama-series/

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, wasn't it brillig of whomever was behind the start of streaming to dream up streaming? I was suckered into buying more than a few DVDS (never mind how many VHS tapes I threw away), and never bother with them. OTOH, I touch on a few streaming shows at least for a few minutes, and stick with them if they pass my test.

I give the accountant or CEO behind streaming a lot of credit.

I can't wait to watch Lovejoy, & apparently Rosemary & Thyme is on Britbox.

I am nothing more than a lover of art, I know nothing about the art of painting, so this is nothing more than my gut reaction to the piece.

But that is all art is about! Do you think the mumbo jumbo of the art critics is anything more than folderol? It isn't, they just wanted to be paid big bucks for seemingly intellectual sentences. They may know their art history, but you or I can get an education in art history & put out florid BS too.

By the way, I think Picasso was a hack. Monet, however, was the bee's knees. Me, I love portraits. And Red Grooms.

Nice offerings by Ovation, very nice. Me who has no patience, however, hates Miss Fisher interrupted by a commercial with an emu in it. Meanwhile, the idiots behind the show canceled it at the very moment Jack & Phryne kissed for the first time, & still haven't released the movie.

Oh, & btw, if I recommended the 3rd season of The Sinner? I apologize. It is terrible, be forewarned. Bill Pullman is still an excellent, brilliant unmade bed of a detective but the rest of the cast? P.U.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Brit, wasn't it brillig of whomever was behind the start of streaming to dream up streaming? I was suckered into buying more than a few DVDS (never mind how many VHS tapes I threw away), and
What's a VHS tape dee ?? LOL .... as if I don't know. Ask young people what a VHS tape is and they will look at ya with a blank stare.
Yeah .. streaming is great , now if they would put all the shows ya want ta see all on the same streaming service then life would be perfect .
Remember when ya picked up a tape at the video store there would be this annoying little sticker on the box ' BE KIND REWIND ' LOL

4 months ago

But that is all art is about! Do you think the mumbo jumbo of the art critics is anything more than folderol? It isn't, they just wanted to be paid big bucks for seemingly intellectual sentences. They may know their art history, but you or I can get an education in art history & put out florid BS too.

So true! Interesting thing, I went back and watched the end of the episode three times to look at the finished and unfinished painting again, I even freeze framed the part several times where she was working on it to try and pinpoint when the piece was glorious. It is there, I saw it because as the viewer I was looking from afar and it was in full view as the camera caught it and lingered on it for a moment.

The artist did not see it, she was very close up to the canvas, in her own world and she was working at that point from her head and did not step back to see what we did. She just kept going, you could see it, I keep wanting to shout, put the brush down!

She wouldn't have though, I get that she was having her piece hung among masterpieces in the Royal Academy's collection. That is a lot of stress, you want your work to hold up, to make a statement and not get lost. It was an emotional commission to paint, she was caught up in that and the dark descended on the work. She added just enough on the right (face on) to make the viewer understand the gravity of the place, she had it. Instead, she continued with the dark - the beauty of the light, the landscape and the color all exploding on that canvas was partially wiped out. Thank goodness she left some for us to see.

Your point about the critics is spot on as the three judges said the same exact thing about her final piece as they had said about her earlier work. They added nothing new to their description. Nothing. Same exact verbiage repeated again. It sounded (and felt like) mumbo jumbo to me and that is when I knew I was not off on my reaction.

4 months ago

BE KIND REWIND...

Yep, I remember, Soler! Do you also remember when they said that DVD's were going to become obsolute? I almost plotz on that one, as like Deedee, I have a large DVD collection. Thank goodness that never came to be, I think there were a lot of folks who had invested money in their DVD collections and they were not going to have it. We went through this once with VHS tapes, that was enough. Talk of this went away never to be heard of again.

I still have some tapes and my mother's video player which was working when I last tried it. I haven't hooked it up here at home so I have no idea if it will continue to work. I have the video tape collection for Austen's Pride and Prejudice, which I always prefer to the DVD version. I would definitely watch that again on video. That was the best... great years of television.

4 months ago

Deedee, I watched the second episode of Lovejoy (S1). Tinker hasn't gotten much air time as yet, I vaguely remember the first season - it was about ten/eleven years ago when I last watched it - my remembrance is that we see more of him and Lady Jane as we progress through the season. Ian McShane (from everything I read) saw this series as his starring vehicle and he was not generous with sharing his screen time with the others. Eventually, because of the characters popularity, they had bigger parts written in to the storylines. The stories that involved everyone were the better ones to my mind. We do see a lot of Charlie in the first season - I forgot that... he eventually goes away and is not seen in later episodes (and then returns at some point).

I like that they stop the action occasionally and have Lovejoy speak directly to the audience. You rarely, if ever, see that done anymore - it certainly helps to get the viewer involved in the story. I also like hearing about the antiques themselves, I find it interesting. Antiques is/was quite a dirty business as the series portrays (the market has dwindled down to almost nothing these days, people aren't interested, so the level of "competition" is not nearly the same as when the show was first produced).

The one thing that has not changed, and has only grown stronger, is my dislike for Chris Jury's (Eric Catchpole) character. I could never stand him, I was delighted when he finally left as I feel that his presence brings down every scene he is in. I only wish he had left sooner before Phyllis Logan did. It was only a matter of a few episodes if I remember correctly, Phyllis Logan left the same season as Chris Jury. A team of Lovejoy, Lady J and Tinker is perfect in its own right.

I did like the woman who replaced Eric though, I think her name is Beth. She worked very well with Tinker and had a personality that uplifted the show.

There is a scene in the second episode with Phyllis Logan wearing a headdress - she looks stunning in it. She was young and beautiful. Her beauty remains today, but there is something about looking back that makes you sigh.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I completely agree on the quality of the show going up when Tinker and Lady Jane were given bigger parts. I too didn't like Eric but don't have enough of a memory to remember his acting.

I look forward to watching it again.

Richt now, I found Season 10 of Vera on Britbox. It's like putting on a pair of comfortable shoes, it is just so good. I hope they don't insert any new annoying characters.

I am also looking forward to The Stranger.

Did you see the last episode of Giri/Haji?

4 months ago

Yes, Deedee, I watched it last night. The finale was phe.nom.en.al! Perfection. I was wondering how the dance sequence would really work, it got a thumbs up in all the reviews I read, but it was hard to imagine. It worked beautifully, it portrayed the relationship that Kenzo had with each of the main characters, as well as how the characters themselves viewed their relationships. It was interesting to see his wife - although she did interact with their daughter and him, she mostly danced around the edge of the group away from everyone else. And, that pretty much summed up her relationship with both he and her daughter.

Soler, I am not sure you will like this series as much as Dee and I did. It is bloody and violent, goes back and forth between thd need to read subtitles (I am fine with subtitles, I rather enjoy them, but not everyone does). It is on Netflix, so you do have access. I am going to put a big Spoiler heading up from this point on just in case you decide to watch as I don't want to spoil the end for you or anyone else.

4 months ago

Spoiler....Giri/Haji. Finale episode.

Okay, I am going to try and sum up where the main (and most important to us) characters are at the end of the series. And, I got a real sense of an ending, I would be surprised if there is a second series.

Yuto and his love Eiko came out with the ending they wanted. Against all odds they made it. Yuto got to France, no one is going to find him there. Do you notice how well he blends himself in to his surroundings? It would be very difficult from a typical glance of a passerby, or either law enforcement, to pick him out of a crowd.

Her father is dead, so are most of his people ,and in any event the family holds no power in Japan at this point. She is of no consequence to anyone, so no one will be looking to bring her back. They will both blend in and carry on their lives as long as he does not continue a life of crime, which I don't think he will do given how badly it all turned out before. He has a family to think about now.

4 months ago

He and Eiko came out with the best situation of them all. The fact that he is still alive, in and of himself, is a miracle. Being united with Eiko and his child he is beyond a blessing given the situations they were both in. The heavens opened up for them.

Yuto sorted out. Now for Rodney. We are left guessing as to what will happen next. Obviously his mother is of no help to him as she has issues of her own... which we now understand have contributed to who he is and the problems he has in life. If he hasn't committed suicide up to this point, I don't feel he will do that in the future. I think we are meant to understand that. Will life get better for him? We have no indication of that or whether he and Sarah will stay in touch. She is very angry with him over what he did and that is never going to go away even though she is concerned for him. She was the only stabilizing force in his life, so without her, he will again be left dangling. I don't think he has it in him to right himself, so I don't see a monumental change in where his life is going.

4 months ago

Kenzo and Sarah. This is more complicated. As Taki said, their relationship is fini. They found each other and connected in a way that is very meaningful to them - they are both outsiders and relate on that level - but this relationship is not meant to be moving forward. Kenzo (if he is able to) will go back to Japan as will Taki.

Let's talk about Taki for a moment, she is (along with Rodney) the most vulnerable of the characters, largely because of her age. She has expressed her feelings to her father (and everyone else as she stood on that ledge) which will help her father understand her better, but the freedom she found in London will be fleeting. Things may change some for her back in Japan, but society and family life there is more rigid, it will be harder for her to carve her own path.

Kenzo and Sarah are not going to be able to continue their relationship we understand, but the unanswered question is what is going to happen to them both. Will they be able to stay out of jail, or will their actions catch up to them?

4 months ago

This is what I have tried to figure out. How much of Sarah's and Kenzo's invovement in this crime spree does the London police really know?

Remember, Sarah's ex-boyfriend (the ex-cop) is dead we hear at the end when the detective Yuto and Kenzo kidnapped is told. He was the only person that knew Sarah's involvement with Yuto, who the London police were looking for. They weren't looking for Kenzo, they were suspicious of him because of his brother, but they did not suspect him of any crime. In fact, if I am correct, they came to know that he was a detective in Japan and was in London looking for his brother.

The detective did know that Sarah had Kenzo in her class, he had sent a message to Kenzo through her to come in and speak with him, yes? So, her connection to Kenzo alone can't get her in trouble as there is no one left alive other than Kenzo, Taki and Yuto who know the extent of her involvement. Oh, and the London crime boss... and what is he going to say about the whole debacle, nothing. He is going to hightale himself off that roof and dive underneath the ground for awhile.

So will the police know that she was on that roof top, no. Will they know that she hid the fugitive, Yuto? No. In fact, there is little that they can prove, because she was never privy to information about the case (remember she was left out of all ongoing cases at the precinct) unless she tells them what she did and why would she? She would only be hurting herself, Kenzo and Rodney by doing so. I think the worst that will happen to her is that she is pushed out of the police force. Which actually would be a good thing at this point.

My only question is did she and Kenzo leave each other after the finale closes. It would only hurt her situation if the police find them together. That brings up a lot more questions for her to have to answer.

4 months ago

Now, Kenzo is in trouble. How much though is the question. The one thing I think the London police will try to tie him to is the kidnapping of the detective, which is iffy because the idiot was unharmed and able to get himself out of the situation, and who other than Yuto is a witness? They are both detectives, one says this, the other says that. How will they know who is telling the truth and be able to prove it in a court of law. Of course the London police will believe their detective, but unless Kenzo is foolish enough to open his mouth... he is up to his neck in everything, this is no time to be spouting the truth unless he wants to go to prison and have them throw away the key and I think not, so I doubt that will stick.

The other wrinkle is the London thug's assistant making her last call to Kenzo. Remember that bloodbath? The wife of the man she killed, killed her in retaliation, we don't know what happened with that, but it certainly looked like a situation of self defence on the wife's part and in actuality, it was. She would have been killed next if she didn't get to the thug's assistant first.

How Kenzo will explain this is going to be dicey. My only thought is that he could explain the connection through his quest to find his brother and take him home as instructed by his superior. His boss is not going to hang him out to dry in London, the Japenese police will lose face, so they will stick by him to the end. There is nothing that ties him to any of the killings in London, no direct evidence or witnesses that can speak. My guess is that he will go home to Japan, he might not still have a job with the police force there, but I do think he will stay out of a London prison.

This, of course, is all predicated on him keeping his mouth shut as much as possible. If he chooses - against all good reason because it will help no one, and will only hurt others - to spill the beans, all bets are off.

Will his life be better once he is back in Japan. No, he will have memories of what could have been, but no more.

4 months ago

Deedee, let me know where I may be off in my thinking, or what I may have left out. There was so much going on in this story I may have forgot something.

That ending was better than I had hoped for! At least based on my assumptions! :)

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Wow! Brit, your summary was outstanding. Sadly I don't remember much of it, but this?

SPOILER...........

I was wondering how the dance sequence would really work

was one of the most amazing sequences in a series I have ever seen. It came out of the blue, was breathtaking, and then was gone. What bravery on the part of those who created this show and participated in the acting to do something like this.

I have to re-read your summary, and hopefully it will all come back to me.

Now, a spoiler on The Stranger.........................

you know how I am when a show starts off with a dead animal, especially a real one, as they are won't to do in Europe. There I was, getting immersed in a very convoluted storyline and bam. Well, you'll see it if you watch it. Again, unnecessary and if they do it again, I'm out.

Forbes' online review headline says it's too tangled for its own good, but I can't read the article, I have an ad blocker.

4 months ago

Thanks Deedee, they left us without answers (other than knowing the relationship would end) as to what would happen to Sarah and Kenzo. So, I needed to piece together whatever we knew to see if I could figure it out. I would hate to see either sitting in jail, they were sympathetic characters and I was rooting for Kenzo throughout this whole saga. Sarah, I was more lukewarm about, she did though overcome her own shortcomings (I really don't know quite how to express Sarah's personality) and stand by Kenzo which than led her to watch over Rodney, Taki and harbor Yuto, which went against every grain in her. For her, she went above and beyond and in the end that is the most you can ever ask of anyone.

4 months ago

Soler, I finally finished The Crown. All I can be left saying is that the royal family are horrid people to their own, the last two episodes made that abundantly clear. Think of what tragedies may not have happened had they an ounce of foresight and/or empathy/compassion. Elizabeth tried, but as usually she displayed no backbone. My opinion of them as a family has fallen considerably. I will never see them in the same light after watching this series. The rose colored glasses are off.

I do feel that the Queen's current response to Harry's request to marry Megan and ultimately step back from royal life has been colored by what has happened in the past. Every time they (the royal family) interceded, turmoil of some sort followed. They pushed ahead, but the outcome was never what they wanted in the end. Charles and Camila certainly proved that... Princess Diana would never have become embroiled in that whole sorry affair with him had they not orchestrated that disaster.

At her advanced years, I feel she has come to realize that royal or not, forcing people to go against what they truly want, particularly in affairs of the heart, does not bode well in the end. She may not like what Harry has done, but she is not going to take the same approach as "the firm" has done in the past. At least she has learned from her mistakes.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit .. really doin' a slo walk on this one . Got too many irons in the fire but at least on the final season . Really don't like that Prince Phillip character . He grates on me. lol Always felt that Queen Eliz. was a cold , distant mother and that the children were probably closer to their nannies than their parents. This has always been my view . You're right about Diana , wonder where her life would have taken her had it not been for that Paris tunnel . Megs and Harry are in the news so much here .. Other day saw pic of Harry walking out of a ' Subway ' shop with a take out order . I mean really .. is this news ?? will soldier on with ' The Crown ' , hope to be finished soon. Started a new run with ' The Stranger ' , saw it on Netflix and when I saw that dee mentioned it , I decided to take a view. Not bad , a little rough at the beginning with that Alpaca incident as dee knows full well but seems to have settled down . Definitely one of these shows I do not look over the top of my laptop to view as it requires full attention with so much happening. Ever watch a show where ya see someone ya recognize but can't place 'm . That happened with the lady cop in this series. Remember the early day of Downton Abbey there was a character called O'Brien ( Siobhan Finneran ) who was always scheming with Barrow . It was her with modern hair and clothes. Only one season on the show but so far a nice little who-done-it .

4 months ago

Well, that is two thumbs up for "The Stranger", from both you and Deedee. I am just about caught up with everything, so I am ready to move on to another mystery. I will steel myself for the Alpaca incident. Why do they even have to go there?

I like Siobhan Finneran outside of her Downton Abbey role, I watched her play a detective recently in a series (can't remember the name right now) and she was very good. Left me wanting to see more of her in this genre.

Soler, I hope H&M stay up your way. I am so tired of hearing about them, I am over it (their leaving royal life) and over them. If they come to live in the States, it will be a constant barrage of nonsense about them in the press. They wanted a private life...fine, now please just go away.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

soler, by slow down, do you mean no more than that poor one animal?

I too like the range of actors in the UK (and character actors not 'stars' in the U.S.) and elsewhere - Toni Collette always knocks it out of the park for me - and enjoyed what I saw of Siobhan (love how that is pronounced). If I can go back in the water, i.e., no more senseless killings, I'll start it up again. Thanks.

Exactly, Brit, why indeed?

True on the press and H&M. But why is Der Queen so upset with them - cutting them out of this, not backing that - but she is totally in love with W&K? Is it utterly and completely racism? Yes, Ms. M. is an expert PR manipulator, but hey, this is 2020, isn't everybody who can get away with it?

4 months ago

William and Kate are the future King and Queen, Deedee. She has to throw her full support behind them, and they in turn, always tow the line. From what I have read, the Queen is upset that H & M are leaving royal life, she did not expect this and Harry has always had a close relationship with her, so it is conceivable that she is personal very hurt by his choice to remove himself from royal duties. Quite frankly, she publicly backed Harry on his choice to marry Megan, gave them the wedding they desired and made an effort to embrace Megan in to the fold. Whatever her true feelings, she made several appearances with Megan early on, after the wedding, to show her support of her.

Is there racism in England, you betcha. Pretty well known to all that Britain is a class based society and snobbery is rampant among those that are titled. Initially, though Megan was "the people's" darling and all was right with the world. Then the press turned sour and the fangs came out. She and Harry decided not to weather the storm and they are leaving. Hard as it may be to always be the second sibling, Harry has had to live with that all his life, Megan has not. It doesn't work for her and because of that, it now doesn't work for him. So, they are moving on.

I have seen nothing in what I have read (as reported) that shows the Queen's decisions regarding their exit to be based on racism and I would be the first to say it if I thought it was so. They are no longer working royals after March 31st. They cannot be supported by taxpayer dollars nor use the royal moniker as such. They are both wealthy in their own right and Charles has agreed to continue to finance their lifestyle from his coffers - although much of that money comes from his holdings in Britain, so no matter what British money are still supporting them. They live an entitled life that few in this world can ever attain.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks for the explanation, Brit. I will never forgive the queen for what I think she did.

What I do find very interesting and it's a testament to Diana's genes, is that Harry is ready to back his wife and forgo the royal perks - as you said, for the most part. If they were full bore independent, things might be different.

Very much unlike Charles, whom I despise, who hoodwinked Diana into marriage (possibly she knew what she was getting into), simply because the horseface (whom I despise) could not give him heirs. Once Diana had done her breeding job, she was history. The part I hate to this day about the royals is that she wasn't allowed to move on and live her own life, and was, ahem, killed.

Harry, to his credit, has married a woman who has taken control and he is happy to yield it, it seems. So off they went, albeit conditionally. Good for them.

As to whether Harry made a good choice in his marriage and in this direction, time will tell. It's interesting that two sets of royals are getting divorced. That must PO the old queen big time.

4 months ago
soler
expert

soler, by slow down, do you mean no more than that poor one animal?

dee … up to Ep. 6 now and no more animal deaths , BUT .. the head of that alpaca does show up later on in Ep. 2 or possibly 3 . It's in a black plastic garbage bag and shows up for a second or two with a quick look into the bag ….. soooo there is that. Just blink you're eyes and you'll miss it. lol

Brit .. I always thought William and Kate fit into the Royal life beautifully , especially Kate who was not raised in 'The Firm '. I can't help but think that Diana is looking down smiling at Harry's decision to walk away from a life that brought her so much misery. I bet she is jumping up and down with joy. A word on the class system … Check out the membership of the House of Lords if ya wanna see privilege at work in all it's glory . LOL

4 months ago
soler
expert

A word on Siobhan Finneran … her name Siobhan .. had seen this name many time before and always wondered how to pronounce it. Thought it was Welsh because Welsh spelling and Welsh pronunciation couldn't be farther apart. So I looked it up . It's Irish and pronounced Chevonne or Shevaun .... now I know. lol

4 months ago

Yes, Soler, remember the character Siobhan from Ballykissangel? That's when I first learned of the pronunciation as you describe. When I looked up info on IMDB for the series (still one of my favorites) I saw the spelling of her name and it looked nothing like how her name was pronounced (Chevonne/Shevaun) in the show. It is confusing in English... io sounds like a soft "e" and bh a "v". Always seemed like an exotic name to me. I like it.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Forget it dee … this show not for you.

4 months ago

Oh boy, I haven't started as yet, maybe I should just skip this one. Thanks for the update, Soler.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, soler.

I too remember Siobhan from Ballykissangel. Such a nice show, with Stephen a far more superior clergy in love than Grantchester, who makes my teeth itch.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Sorry, the show is Grantchester, the teeth itcher was Sidney Chambers.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Oh boy, I haven't started as yet, maybe I should just skip this one. Thanks for the update, Soler.

Brit .. there is only one incident of animal cruelty . It was committed by a young fellow at an outdoor party where he took Ecstasy . He has flash backs of that crazy night he killed the alpaca and he is horrified . The reason I warned dee is because these flash backs pop up thru the series . Finished last night , the end is not what I expected in regards to Siobhan Finneran's character DI Johanna Griffin . Very UN detective of her. She has a big , big secret now . lol Hope they make more seasons of this.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, soler. I made it past the bloodied poor decapitated (a REAL decapitated alpaca, murdered just for the show I'm sure) alpaca in episode one, so I had steeled myself for the rest of the show, since it got such good reviews. I thought there were going to be MORE murdered animals.

I despise that there are no animal cruelty laws in Europe, but hey, when I become king of the world, I'll change that. Until then, a dead animal is only a dead animal in Europe.

Sorry for inflicting my animal sensibilities, Brit. It is a very good show.

4 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.